Rockband vs. Rockband II

I've seen the thread on Rockband vs. World Tour, but my children are wanting Rockband II. My question is: what is the major difference between I and II? I see where I can get I for $119. thru Amazon. Is II worth the $70 difference? I know there are about 20 more songs on II and that II is wireless, but are these the only major differneces?

There are only a few differences:

1. The drums for Rockband 2 are easier to operate. Not only is the foot pedal easier to push but the drum pads are made so that they are much quieter.

2. The guitar looks a little different. Not a huge difference but still.

3. With Rockband 2, not only are there more songs but you can also import songs from Rockband 1.

4. You mentioned that Rb2 is wireless. I personally play close to my TV but the wires do limit how far you can go and they do get in the way.

5. A couple of other new features for Rb2 include being able to play as an entire band with other bands online. Also, Rb2 has a store in which you can buy different clothes and different instruments for the band.

Personally, I think Rb2 is just like Rb1 only with a few improvements. There aren't major differences. It just depends on how often you'll play in my opinion.

If you don't already own RockBand I, is there a way to get the songs from RockBand I to RockBand II? We really like the wireless feature of RockBand II, but we've heard that there are some great songs from the original RockBand that are not included on the new version.

Thanks!:hert:

RB 1 has a wireless guitar, but the mic and drums are wired. And I think you can import both the songs from RB 1 and the RB 1 Expansion Pack, but you need a memory card to store it. The Wii's memory isn't enough to hold them all.

Some things I've heard about the RB 2 drums is that they have the quiet pads already on them and the cymbal packs give the option of a better feel to actual drumming, but also heard that the pads really aren't that much quieter as they say it is, and that the Cymbals slide down when they're hit. The pedal on 2 is a better design.

My kids have Rockband 1. They are 6 and 8. If I was going to buy it now, I'd probably buy Rockband 2 and buy the Rockband 1 disk only. But since we already have Rockband 1, I'll stick with the equipment I have, and purchase the Rockband 2 disk only. The equipment difference doesn't seem worth the extra $$$. My kids are too little to play online with others. And by the time they are ready to do that, there will be something new. That is just my opinion for our family based on ages. If your kids are older, they'll probably want Rockband 2 and the disks for Rockband 1 and the track packs 1 is already out, 2 will be out in a few weeks (nov 17 or 18 I think). Each have about 20 songs. And that is only for PS2 and Wii. I believe PS3 and Xbox, you download the songs and don't need to buy the disks. I believe this information is accurate. Because I've been trying to make the decision on upgrading or not.

I also heard (not sure) that the cymbals are an expansion option and ONLY work with the Rockband 2 drumset. They don't come with the band kit for Rockband 2.

I also heard (not sure) that the cymbals are an expansion option and ONLY work with the Rockband 2 drumset. They don't come with the band kit for Rockband 2.

This is correct!! The cymbals are optional, come in a two and will come in a three pack in the future and they will only work on the RB 2 Drumkit, because the input jacks weren't built on the RB 1 set.

Now......if you're a youtube junkie, you could watch a video of a guy try and solder his fingers together, as he attempts to wire the cymbals to the set himself, and try to do the mods yourself, but I suggest you just watch and laugh.....I know I do.

IMO- Get the RB2 kit with the 2-cymbal pack. They'll work just fine for your kids.

Thank you so much to everyone who responded!! I realized that the 360 RB I was actually $119. By the time tax and shipping was added, I was only about $40-50 out from RB II. I just don't think that's enough savings to not justify the newer model!! So, I guess it's RB II for my kiddos!! Thanks for all your help!! It told me what I needed and helped me make the decision!

I wanted to get rockband II for wii for my ds 10 but the release date has been pushed to Jan 7 and won't be in time for christmas!! I was thinking of getting just the game and guitar for rockband 1 and then later when it comes out get the drum kit for rock band 2. Do they sell just the game & guitar for rock band1? I only ever see guitar hero with guitar and game and full set for rock band. Anyone know if this is out there and where? Also, will the game and guitar be compatible with rockband 2? Help please!! Thanks!!

I wanted to get rockband II for wii for my ds 10 but the release date has been pushed to Jan 7 and won't be in time for christmas!! I was thinking of getting just the game and guitar for rockband 1 and then later when it comes out get the drum kit for rock band 2. Do they sell just the game & guitar for rock band1? I only ever see guitar hero with guitar and game and full set for rock band. Anyone know if this is out there and where? Also, will the game and guitar be compatible with rockband 2? Help please!! Thanks!!

They do sell a game and guitar separate, not together. The only thing they sell as a combo is the entire bundle, but the separate pieces should be good if you're planning to get the drums in the future.

They do sell a game and guitar separate, not together. The only thing they sell as a combo is the entire bundle, but the separate pieces should be good if you're planning to get the drums in the future.

Thanks for the information! I am going to get the game and guitar for him for christmas and then do the bundle with drums when rb 2 comes out. :)

If you don't already own RockBand I, is there a way to get the songs from RockBand I to RockBand II? We really like the wireless feature of RockBand II, but we've heard that there are some great songs from the original RockBand that are not included on the new version.

Thanks!:hert:

Rent it at Blockbuster, then copy the songs over for only $5. Here's a link:

http://www.10minutetech.net/index.php/2008/09/14/importing-rock-band-1-songs-into-rock-band-2-xbox-360/

So the Rockband II for the WII will come with the disc and all the equipment in one box right? Too many variations on there for me to keep up with.

Yes, as long as you get the BAND KIT.

I just pre-ordered Rockband 2 (game only) from Bestbuy to pick up at my local store when available. But the release date NOW says December 17th. Why do these companies do this to us?? :no: I wonder if it will be out on time to pick up before Christmas, or the date will change again. It was originally supposed to be November 18th (?).