HP Desktop On BF

knt102000

o ic in my situation do you think i would get it (applying all the senarios and a prediction based on last year) if i went into the line at 6pm thanksgiving day? 9pm? 12 midnigght on black friday?

Based on last year:

6PM - slim chance

9PM - Very Doubtful

12AM (midnight) - Highly doubtful very good chance you will not get it. At about 10PM from my experience is oneof the busiest times for people getting on line. Usually most people will show up at around 6PM, 10PM, and 2AM are the busiest times for people getting on the line (at least here) I would say if you get there at 5PM you should have a pretty good chance of getting the computer you are looking for. You wouldn't get the more popur $229 laptop or $199 desktop though.

naw im not looking for the cheap popular ones most people are going after

ic...would 8pm better since its not any of the busy times? or would that reduce the chances? jw but does anyone feel that just going for a computer and nothing else is useless? I dont plan on buying anything else. do they allow portable stoves? (like maybe 1 sq ft in size and uses butane)

naw im not looking for the cheap popular ones most people are going after

ic...would 8pm better since its not any of the busy times? or would that reduce the chances? jw but does anyone feel that just going for a computer and nothing else is useless? I dont plan on buying anything else. do they allow portable stoves? (like maybe 1 sq ft in size and uses butane)

The busy times are when the most people arrive. A lot of people go to Thanksgiving dinner and then show up on line. That's the crowd you have to beat if you want the ticketed items. If you get there after the first big wave of people show up your chances are greatly reduced. I would recommend getting there by about 5PM.

I live in Reno and get the deal I want every time from BB. I've never showed up before 1 hr before opening. Am I waaaaay back there in line (100+), yes. Was I going for the hot hot hot doorbuster item? no. I'm going to try for this and I can tell you for a fact I will NOT be there at 8pm Thanksgiving day. This year is different... not many great deals... this isn't even a great deal, just a good one I think. I dunno, better safe than sorry though I guess. Also depends on how big your city is. Mines comparatively small. GOOD LUCK! :)

He lives in South Eastern Pa, I know Philidelphia is in SE Pa. which is a large city and will be much busier than Reno. He may even have to get there earlier, I am only going by the times where I go which is also a medium size town with no major cities near by. The nearest medium size city has their own BB and they go to that location.

oh yeah, and there's a limit of 6 (not 1)

i37.tinypicDOTCOM/23mloah.jpg

YOU'LL HAVE TO FILL IN THE DOT COM (RETCHED SPAM PROTECTION)

Yeah I found that out, thanks. The copy I was looking at was so blurry even magnifying it to 300% it looked like a straight line, like a "1". Another copy I found was much clearer and clearly stated "6".

Im not directly in Philadelphia im about 5 miles outside of Philly in a medium sized city.....and I just got off talking with my friend who was there last year and they said they went there at 5pm and there was a good amount of people but they had gotten a decent amount of tickets...and I also made plans for what I am going to do this year but I have a question

When in line can we have like say 5 people and 4 stay in the car while 1 is out in line and then switch up every so often or is that cutting? And also how many tickets can you get? I dont undersdtand the one ticket pper family per item

does that mean that I can get one ticket from every single item there is or can I only get ONE single item?

Im not directly in Philadelphia im about 5 miles outside of Philly in a medium sized city.....and I just got off talking with my friend who was there last year and they said they went there at 5pm and there was a good amount of people but they had gotten a decent amount of tickets...and I also made plans for what I am going to do this year but I have a question

When in line can we have like say 5 people and 4 stay in the car while 1 is out in line and then switch up every so often or is that cutting? And also how many tickets can you get? I dont undersdtand the one ticket pper family per item

does that mean that I can get one ticket from every single item there is or can I only get ONE single item?

What I would recommend is when you get there all of you get on the line. Let the people a know you are all there together and stay on line for a while so they know your faces when you come back. Also when you anyone gets off the line let the people behind you know that they are only going to the cao warm up for a little bit, or to find a bathroom, so they are aware of your faces and know how many there were on line and make sure they know you will be back. would say always leave at least 2 on the line, it gets very boring being on line by yourself. Switch it up every hour or so and don't ever all get off line at the same time. Also if you make friends with some of the people around you they will remember you better. In most cases as long as you are not leaving other than to go to the bathroom they understand how cold it gets. We do the same thing here. My wife spends most of the time in the car while I freeze but I leave her chair there so they know she is there and I'll letfriends on line know she was cold and going to the car to warm up. After a few years you get familiar with the faces of the people that show up early since it's usually the same people year after year.

What I would recommend is when you get there all of you get on the line. Let the people a know you are all there together and stay on line for a while so they know your faces when you come back. Also when you anyone gets off the line let the people behind you know that they are only going to the cao warm up for a little bit, or to find a bathroom, so they are aware of your faces and know how many there were on line and make sure they know you will be back. would say always leave at least 2 on the line, it gets very boring being on line by yourself. Switch it up every hour or so and don't ever all get off line at the same time. Also if you make friends with some of the people around you they will remember you better. In most cases as long as you are not leaving other than to go to the bathroom they understand how cold it gets. We do the same thing here. My wife spends most of the time in the car while I freeze but I leave her chair there so they know she is there and I'll letfriends on line know she was cold and going to the car to warm up. After a few years you get familiar with the faces of the people that show up early since it's usually the same people year after year.

lol well obviously everyone dont get out of line

so basically ur advice is have everyone that plans to be with us go there for say the first hour or two with say 2-3 chairs and then after 2 or 3 hours leave the chairs there and they can go warm up while 1-3 people stay am i correct? btw how does everyone last 12 plus hours with no food no water (no bathroom? where to go if so?)? I can understand the no sleep but no food no water knowing everyone is home eating thanksgiving dinner? does everyone in line have like their own TG dinner? Me and my mom were planning that she goes first in to the line while I eat my TG dinner and when Im done I go to the line and take her place while she eats the TG dinner. Thats the current plan unless one of our friends come which will then be less stress on us. But would that be a ok plan? I plan to go to the local BB between 3-5 pm TG

lol well obviously everyone dont get out of line

so basically ur advice is have everyone that plans to be with us go there for say the first hour or two with say 2-3 chairs and then after 2 or 3 hours leave the chairs there and they can go warm up while 1-3 people stay am i correct? btw how does everyone last 12 plus hours with no food no water (no bathroom? where to go if so?)? I can understand the no sleep but no food no water knowing everyone is home eating thanksgiving dinner? does everyone in line have like their own TG dinner? Me and my mom were planning that she goes first in to the line while I eat my TG dinner and when Im done I go to the line and take her place while she eats the TG dinner. Thats the current plan unless one of our friends come which will then be less stress on us. But would that be a ok plan? I plan to go to the local BB between 3-5 pm TG

Sorry to have stated the obvious but wanted to make it clear. I am glad to help out others and I would rather state the obvious than to have someone get upset that didn't realize and then gets upset that I didn't state it. You plan sounds pretty good as long as you are not too far, but if you mom plans to eat TG dinner have her get in line for a while first and then go, and don't say she's going to have dinner, that would PO a lot of people, just have her say she has to go to the bathroom, when she gets back tell her to hold your spot while you go to the bathroom. As far as dinner I bring tons of coffe and donuts. If you have to go to the bathroom I don't think any have a bathroom outside. Last year we go tlucky, they were doing construction and had a porta-potty in the parking lot. Usually we go home or a dinner that is 24hrs to go. Luckily I'm under 5 minutes away so I usually run home, let my dogs out for a few and run back. I rarely leave the line for more than about 20 minutes at a time, and NEVER after about 2am. Anyone that even appears to walk near the front of the line and cross the parking lot to the curb gets screamed at from the others in line unless they saw you going just to put your chairs in the car (which I usually do around 3AM). When I do get off line for the bathroom I have another car I use and leave the van with the bed in it in the first spot in the parking lot.

Sorry to have stated the obvious but wanted to make it clear. I am glad to help out others and I would rather state the obvious than to have someone get upset that didn't realize and then gets upset that I didn't state it. You plan sounds pretty good as long as you are not too far, but if you mom plans to eat TG dinner have her get in line for a while first and then go, and don't say she's going to have dinner, that would PO a lot of people, just have her say she has to go to the bathroom, when she gets back tell her to hold your spot while you go to the bathroom. As far as dinner I bring tons of coffe and donuts. If you have to go to the bathroom I don't think any have a bathroom outside. Last year we go tlucky, they were doing construction and had a porta-potty in the parking lot. Usually we go home or a dinner that is 24hrs to go. Luckily I'm under 5 minutes away so I usually run home, let my dogs out for a few and run back. I rarely leave the line for more than about 20 minutes at a time, and NEVER after about 2am. Anyone that even appears to walk near the front of the line and cross the parking lot to the curb gets screamed at from the others in line unless they saw you going just to put your chairs in the car (which I usually do around 3AM). When I do get off line for the bathroom I have another car I use and leave the van with the bed in it in the first spot in the parking lot.

Ahh ic so the whole swapping between us is ok but as long as we say were going to the bath room and not going home to eat TG dinner? is it always like this with people pickpocketing and everyone running towards the front to get tickets?

is there no order? or do they keep everyone in order? would that be considered a big crowd or small crowd? organized or disorganized? have there been any fights broken out because of cutting, pickpocketing, etc?

Ahh ic so the whole swapping between us is ok but as long as we say were going to the bath room and not going home to eat TG dinner? is it always like this with people pickpocketing and everyone running towards the front to get tickets?

is there no order? or do they keep everyone in order? would that be considered a big crowd or small crowd? organized or disorganized? have there been any fights broken out because of cutting, pickpocketing, etc?

Yeah as long as you don't "go to the bathroom" for 4 hours, lol. I would say try to show your face on the line at least once every hour or so.

Not too much of a pickpocteting problem here it is known to happen. I keep my money and wallet in a zippered up breast pocket inside my jacket to be safe.

As far as the YouTube video, looks pretty accurate for some stores. Our store lets you in through a mall entrance and gives out the tickets as go through the door into the mall. The store itself doesn't open until 5am though. As far as people cutting, every year people try cutting. We have a list that the first 50-80 people write their name on and BB verifies that the list is accurate with some of the peole in front and has someone read off the names and letsm enter as their name is called. I already have this years sign up sheet prepared, lol. When people try cutting that is the first way to reduce it. The other, and one of my favorites is finding some of the biggest guys on line and point out who cut them. They take care of the problem themselves. The cutters aren't stupid enough to cut too far up (in the first 20 or so USUALLY) so it is not my problem to deal with since I am on the list and on a bad year still in the first 20 or so. When they give out the tickets everyone tries advancing their place on line in hopes of getting the tickets. The people in the front usually form a barricade on the outter perimeter from the parking lot with about 10 big guys not letting them through. Best Buy doesn't really care too much about who got their when, we have to police it ourselves for the most part and BB knows we have been making the list for years so they know we do our part to keep it as orderly as possible and they appreciate it.

Yeah as long as you don't "go to the bathroom" for 4 hours, lol. I would say try to show your face on the line at least once every hour or so.

Not too much of a pickpocteting problem here it is known to happen. I keep my money and wallet in a zippered up breast pocket inside my jacket to be safe.

As far as the YouTube video, looks pretty accurate for some stores. Our store lets you in through a mall entrance and gives out the tickets as go through the door into the mall. The store itself doesn't open until 5am though. As far as people cutting, every year people try cutting. We have a list that the first 50-80 people write their name on and BB verifies that the list is accurate with some of the peole in front and has someone read off the names and letsm enter as their name is called. I already have this years sign up sheet prepared, lol. When people try cutting that is the first way to reduce it. The other, and one of my favorites is finding some of the biggest guys on line and point out who cut them. They take care of the problem themselves. The cutters aren't stupid enough to cut too far up (in the first 20 or so USUALLY) so it is not my problem to deal with since I am on the list and on a bad year still in the first 20 or so. When they give out the tickets everyone tries advancing their place on line in hopes of getting the tickets. The people in the front usually form a barricade on the outter perimeter from the parking lot with about 10 big guys not letting them through. Best Buy doesn't really care too much about who got their when, we have to police it ourselves for the most part and BB knows we have been making the list for years so they know we do our part to keep it as orderly as possible and they appreciate it.

That's my hubby! :gdkiss3: Everytime we would try and take a nap in the tent, someone would call out "security!" when someone tried to skip. When he would step out they would either back up or claim they just wanted to see the store hours.:rolleyes: LOL...we got NO sleep that night...:tongue1:

BTW..we were 1 & 2 so I have no idea what happened waaay in the back. They may have been skipping all over the place! But he watched over the first 30 or so. :cheesy:

Ah ic...so if the situation was like in the video how would be the best way to get a ticket? (of course without cutting that is) I always pictured it as being a organized line (same picture as people camping) and then employees going one by one down the line to each group of people asking what they wanted. What is some advice for keeping your place and getting a ticket? (I dont think I'll be apart of the organizing comittee those who make the list, etc.) I dont want to be trampled over nor do I want to do the trampling to get the ticket (would be easy for me, I play football). Has there been any violence when they give out tickets (like fights and huge arguements)?

Ah ic...so if the situation was like in the video how would be the best way to get a ticket? (of course without cutting that is) I always pictured it as being a organized line (same picture as people camping) and then employees going one by one down the line to each group of people asking what they wanted. What is some advice for keeping your place and getting a ticket? (I dont think I'll be apart of the organizing comittee those who make the list, etc.) I dont want to be trampled over nor do I want to do the trampling to get the ticket (would be easy for me, I play football). Has there been any violence when they give out tickets (like fights and huge arguements)?

Before I moved to this area where I go now, the old BB I went to there was alot more pickpocketing, fights etc. Where I am now it has come close, mostly people trying to muscle their way into the line at the last minute but we plan ahead for it and those in the entrance section (as on the video near the main entrance there is more room than on the line itself) are the ones we put on the list. Once the line starts forming on the sidewalk we stop the list but put some of the larger guys on the line to block anyone from getting into that section. We are rather organized compared to most Best Buys and they let us into the mall (not the store) at about 4am and hand out the tickets as we go through the hall leading to the mall itself.

In a mass confusion like on the video I would say try to be respectful and not push until you see the item is almost sold out. If you were on line in enough time to deserve the ticket and someone pushed past you, I would push right back and grab the ticket. I would also try finding a new location that is more organized in the future, lol.

lol ok from what i heard it is pretty organized friend said that line is a line and that the employees dont stand in frnt of the store entrance(like in the video) but instead they go down the line asking what you were here for. im not sure if its as organized as it sounds but it sounds ok. So basically stay calm and do onto others as they do onto u?

hows the inside of the store like? what do i do with the ticket? is it worth going for 1 item?

lol ok from what i heard it is pretty organized friend said that line is a line and that the employees dont stand in frnt of the store entrance(like in the video) but instead they go down the line asking what you were here for. im not sure if its as organized as it sounds but it sounds ok. So basically stay calm and do onto others as they do onto u?

hows the inside of the store like? what do i do with the ticket? is it worth going for 1 item?

Good. I don't think Best Buy wants that kind of mass confusion either. At my location they appreciate that we handle a lot of organizing the line, making the lists, stopping the cutters, etc.

Yeah, there is no nee to get into fights unless someone cuts you and then gets the item you were waiting for and you don't get it. Being first that would really annoy me if that happened but it is more organized in my store.

Walking down the line with tickets is how they did it 2 years ago. I didn't like it as much but as long as it was handled fair it does work unless everyone tries rushing the front.

o ok so i should be fine? what about the inside of the store? do i still have to rush to get to the item or what do i do with the ticket? take my time? (regardless of checkout time i just want to have a 100% chance of getin the item)

The best move is if you have others with you someone get right on the checkout line while the others get the non-ticketed items. As long as you have the ticket you should be ok unless they do what I heard some stores are doing which is if it is not picked up by 8am they redistribute the tickets not claimed. If you have the ticket you have a 100% cance of getting the item. In my store they actually put the number of the ticket and match it to the item. For example if you have ticket G19 for the $229 laptop than they hold that laptop with the G19 until YOU claim it. You will have to rush to get some of the hotter non-ticket items though. If you are not on the checkout line quick though you could be waiting for 1 or 2 hours on the checkout line but your item will be held. In most cases you go to the customer service desk for ticketed items not a regular register. The items are held in the back stock room, not on the floor where others can get it.

ok so as long as I have my ticket Ill definately get the item? So just go grab all the other stuff instead of worrying about the desktop if i have a ticket? Ok so when I go checkout or go pay Ill give them the ticket and they will bring it up for me? or do I go to some where specified? Cpu section? Would u consider the HP i plan on gettin a good deal?

ok so as long as I have my ticket Ill definately get the item? So just go grab all the other stuff instead of worrying about the desktop if i have a ticket? Ok so when I go checkout or go pay Ill give them the ticket and they will bring it up for me? or do I go to some where specified? Cpu section? Would u consider the HP i plan on gettin a good deal?

The HP is an incredibly powerful system. 6GB RAM, 640GB HD, quad core.... fast as hell. If you're into gaming this is defineately the system for you. It's a lot of machine for the money.

I believe it was you who said you had a friend go last year. Ask anyone who's on line that was there last year where to go in your store. All stores have a similar layout but not all of them have a dedicated register that has a door to the store room. Another store I went to a few years back had to leave his register to get the items from the back. I believe most now have the registers connected to the store room, at least here they do.

The HP is an incredibly powerful system. 6GB RAM, 640GB HD, quad core.... fast as hell. If you're into gaming this is defineately the system for you. It's a lot of machine for the money.

I believe it was you who said you had a friend go last year. Ask anyone who's on line that was there last year where to go in your store. All stores have a similar layout but not all of them have a dedicated register that has a door to the store room. Another store I went to a few years back had to leave his register to get the items from the back. I believe most now have the registers connected to the store room, at least here they do.

Ah ic....

When do they ads officially come out? (as in not leaked as in when the stores will confirm that the public knows about the ads and sales so that they can release how much of each item they have, procedures, and ticketing and etc.)

Ah ic....

When do they ads officially come out? (as in not leaked as in when the stores will confirm that the public knows about the ads and sales so that they can release how much of each item they have, procedures, and ticketing and etc.)

They are "officially" released Monday. Unfortuneately the only way I ever get the ads is to buy the paper on Thursday morning. Where I used to live they would deliver them but where I am now they don't bother. I may try getting one at the stores on Monday before I go in for surgery. Just my luck huh? Having surgery Monday and then standing on line starting Thursday in 28 degree weather, only to have people try trampling me on Friday morning.

I have been at our BB for the last two years and they handled it the same way. We sat in line with a chair for each person waiting, and other things to make life more comfortable. Sometimes the manager would do a drive by, say hi, etc.

Between 3-4am we put our accessories away and the workers start to arrive. This is the time we had to be the most vigilant because it gets a little busy and the anticipation builds as we all get excited. And suddenly 'friends' appear from nowhere. Not so bad when you are in front but I started 12th last year and ended up being 15th. They really start arriving after the tickets. So I was probably the 30th in the door for the non doorbusters last year. Luckily my kids knew exactly where and what to get and run fast, so I was saved.

About 4am they come out with a bullhorn and give the directions. Which are, they have a rubbermaid box holding all the tickets. As they go down the list they ask what you want and hand the tickets out. First come, first serve. Last year they also gave us a map of the store and had numbered baloons to show us where the small stuff was tucked. It was way cool. I also did do a Wed afternoon recon.

Then it's just trying to stay warm and keep the friends away till they open the doors. If you watch Chuck and saw the BF show last year-it's almost exactly like that. Ditto send someone to stand in line within 10 min of entering the store.

Doorbuster ticket items were kept in back, the smaller stuff 1s 1st come 1st get on the showroom floor. and sometimes they got 5-10. Thats what you run for. Like the memory cards and DVD's and such.

It has been fairly fun and the workers have been great here. It has become a family tradition, my DD's look forward to the ads and planning as much as I do. They are in high school so they get it.

Keep the spirit. Have fun. If you let yourself start to get mad it can ruin the entire experience. You'll get annoyed enough when you are sprinting through the store. Save the adrenalin for that snatch of the last cheap SD card on the rack. You'll need it. :yup:

I have been at our BB for the last two years and they handled it the same way. We sat in line with a chair for each person waiting, and other things to make life more comfortable. Sometimes the manager would do a drive by, say hi, etc.

Between 3-4am we put our accessories away and the workers start to arrive. This is the time we had to be the most vigilant because it gets a little busy and the anticipation builds as we all get excited. And suddenly 'friends' appear from nowhere. Not so bad when you are in front but I started 12th last year and ended up being 15th. They really start arriving after the tickets. So I was probably the 30th in the door for the non doorbusters last year. Luckily my kids knew exactly where and what to get and run fast, so I was saved.

About 4am they come out with a bullhorn and give the directions. Which are, they have a rubbermaid box holding all the tickets. As they go down the list they ask what you want and hand the tickets out. First come, first serve. Last year they also gave us a map of the store and had numbered baloons to show us where the small stuff was tucked. It was way cool. I also did do a Wed afternoon recon.

Then it's just trying to stay warm and keep the friends away till they open the doors. If you watch Chuck and saw the BF show last year-it's almost exactly like that. Ditto send someone to stand in line within 10 min of entering the store.

Doorbuster ticket items were kept in back, the smaller stuff 1s 1st come 1st get on the showroom floor. and sometimes they got 5-10. Thats what you run for. Like the memory cards and DVD's and such.

It has been fairly fun and the workers have been great here. It has become a family tradition, my DD's look forward to the ads and planning as much as I do. They are in high school so they get it.

Keep the spirit. Have fun. If you let yourself start to get mad it can ruin the entire experience. You'll get annoyed enough when you are sprinting through the store. Save the adrenalin for that snatch of the last cheap SD card on the rack. You'll need it. :yup:

Same here. We put our stuff away at around 2:30 and usually between 3:30 and 4 they start getting the line in order to enter into the mall where they reset the line as we enter, and they don't let people jump through to the front. We have a list of the first 60 or so people on line since it is by the entrance and it is difficult to make a line from the door and everyone tries to it in the entrance way. We also preplan by having about 10 big guys block the alcove area from the curb to stop cutters from at least cutting in the front. Best Buy knows we make a list every year and they have someone (usually me) read off the list and they enter to get their tickets in the hall leading to the mall. Than we sit for another hour or so. They usually have about 20 or so BB employees handing out tickets about 10 more directing the traffic into the mall area, and when they run out of the tickets they have they also assist in directing the mall traffic and stopping cutters. Also the mall security helps and has about 10 more people just watching to make sure there are no problems. Probably one of the best setups I've ever seen as far as making sure that cutters don't get the tickets or jump to the front. Some have tried various techniques to try cutting and I have not seen it work yet at getting into the front 60 that are on the list. After that it's up to thos behind to watch their own spot. If I see people that do cut in I find the biggest guys behind where they cut and let them know, they usually get them off the line real quickly. By having the list, even if a friend shows up at midnight and tries cutting to get a ticket, they are not on the list and will not get in until after the list is completed. By then the main items such as the cheap laptops and cheap desktops are gone any way, and that's what most of the line is hoping to get if they arrive that early since they are always the first to go. If you are not on line by about 5PM Thursday you have no chance to get the laptop for $229.

Last year my daughter was 9 and it was the first time I let her stay for BF. She begged me to go again this year, lol. If I were to line up right now she'd be willing to go with me. Now the wfe... that's another story, lol. She wants to show up at 5AM and not wait but she will be on line with me Thursday morning this year.

I forgot about the balloons. Last year was the first time I remeber seeing them use that and it worked pretty good.

My parents are thinking that if we get there and there is more than 10-15 people then we have no way of getting the computer so if we get there at 3:30 and there is moer than 10-15 people we wont bother camping out. Would this be reasonable or is it not true at all?

Ah ok good exaplantion story thx

Taz if i go into bestbuy Monday they would have the ads?

Probably not.

My parents are thinking that if we get there and there is more than 10-15 people then we have no way of getting the computer so if we get there at 3:30 and there is moer than 10-15 people we wont bother camping out. Would this be reasonable or is it not true at all?

330 in the afternoon? Good luck.

What you might want to do is ask what the people are there for. If they say they're all there for the TV, then score, you get the computer.

If there are 50 people in line... then you might want to mosey back on home.

Probably not.

330 in the afternoon? Good luck.

What you might want to do is ask what the people are there for. If they say they're all there for the TV, then score, you get the computer.

If there are 50 people in line... then you might want to mosey back on home.

Uhh yea 330 in the after noon. last year my friend went and they went at 330 also and they said that they were about the 9th one in line