Not too impressed w/this years BF ads

NO30FAN

Now that most of the ads are out, I can say that I'm really underwhelmed by the ads this year. Some of the things I was looking for are either missing altogether or very poor selections:

1. Almost no networking gear...am looking for a wireless-N USB adaptor.

2. A 22" computer monitor.

3. The middle range laptops...$500-$700.

4. One thing for DW @ at of all places Harbor Freight.

There were a couple bright spots...

Sam's Club Wii Fit (plus a free breakfast).

The ink cartridge deal @ Costco.

A couple items @ Radio Shack.

I didn't see much else that I'd be willing to lose sleep over or stand for a long time in line in the cold. So it looks like it will be a quick strike, and home in time for a turkey sandwich for lunch.

Now that most of the ads are out, I can say that I'm really underwhelmed by the ads this year. Some of the things I was looking for are either missing altogether or very poor selections:

1. Almost no networking gear...am looking for a wireless-N USB adaptor.

2. A 22" computer monitor.

3. The middle range laptops...$500-$700.

4. One thing for DW @ at of all places Harbor Freight.

There were a couple bright spots...

Sam's Club Wii Fit (plus a free breakfast).

The ink cartridge deal @ Costco.

A couple items @ Radio Shack.

I didn't see much else that I'd be willing to lose sleep over or stand for a long time in line in the cold. So it looks like it will be a quick strike, and home in time for a turkey sandwich for lunch.

There is still hope: http://c1.neweggimages.com/WebResource/Themes/2005/Nest/logo.gif

I'm up to 37 orders since 10/28/02 ($4,862.38).

I just ordered from them today as a matter of fact.

Oh my, at first I thought it was from 10/28/08!!! :eek: You'd be having a BIG Christmas with that much new stuff!!! I'd hope to be on your present list!

I haven't ordered from them before but my aunt called yesterday and said she wants a cheap laptop now, so I will be watching them. She was mad I didn't tell her about the $298 WalMart laptop, as if I am to KNOW what relatives are looking for and do their shopping for them!

OMG!!!! Marcster! I LOVE the avitar!!!!!! I saw Brad's earlier....this one is hilarious too!!!

Glad you like it! All four of us have a different one...

Oh my, at first I thought it was from 10/28/08!!! :eek: You'd be having a BIG Christmas with that much new stuff!!! I'd hope to be on your present list!

I haven't ordered from them before but my aunt called yesterday and said she wants a cheap laptop now, so I will be watching them.

It does suck that they don't price match at all after an order is placed and that they have a 15% restocking fee, but they are always my first choice for gear... always.

http://s23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/Marcster2005/Smileypad/Mil-Computer/geek1.gif

Is Newegg that good? I have seen that recently they ahve had some pretty good deals on TVs, but they weren't the name brands that I always hear about so that makes me a hesitant to buy since if I didn't like it I would ahve to ship it back and all.

I have never really gone through their site in detail to look at the deals, but I amy do that once school breaks for Thanksgiving next Tuesday and I have a few days to re-charge from term papers and everything.

Is Newegg that good? I have seen that recently they ahve had some pretty good deals on TVs, but they weren't the name brands that I always hear about so that makes me a hesitant to buy since if I didn't like it I would ahve to ship it back and all.

I have never really gone through their site in detail to look at the deals, but I amy do that once school breaks for Thanksgiving next Tuesday and I have a few days to re-charge from term papers and everything.

http://i37.tinypic.com/2exbwg0.jpg

Do yourself a favor and sign up for their e-mail newsletter. They send out e-mail newsletters about 2-3 times a week, the deals are good for 7 days each.

Be sure to click through the link in the newsletter -- there's always "more deals" (when you get your first newsletter, you'll know what I mean).

As for brands, they also have brands you'll be familiar with.

They're so big, they have their own in-house brand for electronics "Rosewill" (but quality on that brand is spotty -- I've never bought a Rosewill-branded item).

Thanks marcster, I will do that. Yeah, I do not trust many, if any "house brands". My parents have had good lcuk with a tv they bought I guess 5 or 6 years ago that was a housebrand (of sorts). Also have had good luck with a portable DVD player that they felt if they got a year or 2 out of it would ahve been worth it, and it is still going strong 5 years later. But overall, i am leary of them...

I do remember that they did ahve a couple good deals on tvs, one a 42" and the other a 27" or soemthing earlier this week or last week? And I had never really heard of the brands, I think one was Hanspree or soemthing like that...

Forget jaw dropping deals - I'd just be happy with a decent deal on something I actually need to buy.

Like the TRU for instance. I was chomping at the bit for it to come out - it comes out - looks long and good - I go through it - 75% of the list I still have no clue what it is (and when you have 3 kids you should be able to recognize more than 25% by name...lol). And the 25% I do know what it is, is so far off from being anything I actually could use it's not funny. I was expecting to have a list of like 15 or more things off the TRU list and I have 3 written down *sigh.

my hubby and I were just saying that because of finding deals through out the year there really is nothing that we need to buy. Heck becasue mr gadget(hubby) just basicly got a new tv new sound bar new sub woofer I dont even know what to get him.

Lingerie. It's a gift for both of you. http://s23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/Marcster2005/Smileypad/Naughty/shehumper.gif

I have nothing to shop for so far. The ads this year STINK.. I am hoping Wal mart gives me a reason to leave my house Friday morning. My daughter is so upset. She said the first year mom is going to let me go shopping, looks like she is not going.

Black Friday, DoorBusters, and such are forever gone.

The retailers know they will get the business anyway. Slap a "doorbusters" on a normal sale item and that is good enough. (Witness all the so called "deals" you can find now as good or cheaper)

The smart shoppers (us, less than 3% of gen.pop) know better, the gen. pop is caught up in all the hooplah since the media has covered it over the last few years that they are blind to the non-deal deals. ;)

Black Friday.. RIP.

I can remember BF's years ago and coming home with bags and bags of stuff! I had no where in my closets to put all the stuff I bought that day. But the past two years I come home with just a few items - it probably takes me less than 5 minutes to sort through it. I'm wondering if the economy has a part in it, not on the consumer side but on the retailer side too. Not that I feel bad for the poor billion dollar mega retailers! But because so many of them are going under or afraid they will that they already don't have their "comfort margin" profit markup on items and so they are unwilling to mark stuff down too much more for the great sales that we want to see for traditional Black Friday deals. And they have been giving "sale" prices for awhile now to attract shoppers to the stores so the "extra" discount for BF isn't too much better.

After looking at most of the ads, including Wal Mart, we have decided to only shop at Kohl's this year. We may pay a few pennies more on a few things, but the other ads are just not worth the effort this year. Kohls isn't spectacular but has the most bang for our buck with the pick a sale day discount and 10 back for 50 spent.

I too am not impressed with the ads, so much so, that this will be the first year I will not be going. I have been going out on Black Friday for the last 10 years. It was always one of my favorite days, shopping 12-15 hours that day. This year I think I am going to spend some time with my family and do a little shopping each weekend. Hopefully, the sales will get better after Black Friday!

I too am not impressed with the ads, so much so, that this will be the first year I will not be going. I have been going out on Black Friday for the last 10 years. It was always one of my favorite days, shopping 12-15 hours that day. This year I think I am going to spend some time with my family and do a little shopping each weekend. Hopefully, the sales will get better after Black Friday!

I am also disappointed with the sales this black friday, I was always so excited to get up and go, or sit in line all night for that great deal..........this year,,,,im staying in bed and out of the cold.

I actually think that I have dh convinced to go to KMart on Thanksgiving day. Looking at the guitar game thing-a-ma-jig-y for the kids and a Karaoke machine for our oldest. I have to work the night before Thanksgiving in another town at my second job so won't make it to get those good items. Like I posted elsewhere the $25 microwave at Wallyworld has me thinking about possibly cutting time close for getting to work on BF. I work at my primary job that day. Next year thinking about having surgery a couple weeks before BF that way I can go to BF in a w/c and at the last minute jump up and run. :D I seriously am thinking about the surgery but not using the w/c.

I really thought with the way the economy is, there would be much better deals than there are. By this time last year, I had my list all printed out, my plan in place and folder ready to go. This year, there really isn't any big ticket items I really want. I do plan on hitting the outlet malls for midnight... more to just see what they will have. I may try to get one of the laptops in Wal-mart. I don't really need it, but it is a decent deal. Other than that.. not really to much that I would not get if I waited until 10am to shop....:confused: Like I said, I would have thought we were going to see better deals than what we are...

So, I have checked the ads out again after letting them kind of "fit" on my computer for a few days, and have noticed some things.

First, there are some very good deals, but it depends on what you are looking for. An example would be that I am looking at getting some new shoes and Sports Authority has a very good deal on this. So, for me I am happy for that but many others are not.

Second, and this is the main thing (as others have stated), BF has gotten so much more press and all teh last 4 or 5 years, that EVERYONE seems to go shopping. This has seemed to make retailers realize that while they can still offer some very, very good deals on say 6-12 items, people will still buy what seems like an excellent deal even if it is a reg. sale price. And that is what retailers like.

While the economy is in much worse shape than a year ago and everyone is looking for a deal...the avg. consumer is going to see something that says $300 off and think that is a great deal and a steal...even if we have seen that price on here off and on all year.

A final thing is that it sems a lot of electronics, especialy tvs and the like (regular DVD players, computers, etc) have started to reach the point where it is not logical for retailers to have huge markdowns on them. We still see that for a few items this year, but nothing like 4+ years ago. It almost seems like we are in a somewhat "transition" period for soem technologies that the super special awesome deals will be less until the next big wave of consumer electronic tech comes along.

I will still be going out, but I will most likely hold off on electronics. I will be content to go to Home Depot, Ace, Target etc and pick up things that I need around the house or a few DVDs that I don't have yet (or that at least seem to walk away anytime you need one).

So, I have checked the ads out again after letting them kind of "fit" on my computer for a few days, and have noticed some things.

First, there are some very good deals, but it depends on what you are looking for. An example would be that I am looking at getting some new shoes and Sports Authority has a very good deal on this. So, for me I am happy for that but many others are not.

Second, and this is the main thing (as others have stated), BF has gotten so much more press and all teh last 4 or 5 years, that EVERYONE seems to go shopping. This has seemed to make retailers realize that while they can still offer some very, very good deals on say 6-12 items, people will still buy what seems like an excellent deal even if it is a reg. sale price. And that is what retailers like.

While the economy is in much worse shape than a year ago and everyone is looking for a deal...the avg. consumer is going to see something that says $300 off and think that is a great deal and a steal...even if we have seen that price on here off and on all year.

A final thing is that it sems a lot of electronics, especialy tvs and the like (regular DVD players, computers, etc) have started to reach the point where it is not logical for retailers to have huge markdowns on them. We still see that for a few items this year, but nothing like 4+ years ago. It almost seems like we are in a somewhat "transition" period for soem technologies that the super special awesome deals will be less until the next big wave of consumer electronic tech comes along.

I will still be going out, but I will most likely hold off on electronics. I will be content to go to Home Depot, Ace, Target etc and pick up things that I need around the house or a few DVDs that I don't have yet (or that at least seem to walk away anytime you need one).

Why has it reached the point to not have a huge markdown on electronics? Our economy stinks, our unemployment rate is skyrocketing. If the retailers really want to have a Black Friday & not just an average day, they should have some steep discounts to really sell, not just bring out onlookers. There are many that cannot afford what they were able to 4+ years ago, the logic would be to drop the price to sell to those people. Many are going into forclosure. Why on earth would they be purchasing high priced electronics. Many are also just struggling to get by.. they need some incentive to purchase, not just 10-20% off. You may as well wait for the close out deals and get 40% off when the new model comes out instead of fighting crowds :confused: If retail is hurting the way they claim, they would offer the better deals... or are things just completly over priced to begin with.. such as homes were 2 years ago....

Speaking for myself.. I am on a budget, but if there were a really great deal on a big ticket item, even though I did not need it, I am more inclined to purchase it since it is such a great deal. If it is just a sale, I will pass and wait until I really need that item. There are many that shop like that. The retailers have such a large markup.. they can give a better discount. Sometimes the quantity sold will bring in more money than keeping the higher mark up :yup:

Why has it reached the point to not have a huge markdown on electronics? Our economy stinks, our unemployment rate is skyrocketing. If the retailers really want to have a Black Friday & not just an average day, they should have some steep discounts to really sell, not just bring out onlookers. There are many that cannot afford what they were able to 4+ years ago, the logic would be to drop the price to sell to those people.

That is precisely why BF deals AREN'T as good this year as years past. These stores need to earn profit... not just get warm bodies in the store. Do you think they offer door-buster deals as a charitable act? They do it knowing that the typical person who buys a door-buster will buy other items there as well. If a person has less disposable income, it is quite likely that they will only have enough money to spend on the door-buster or similarly low-to-no profit item. That doesn't help the store one bit.

Many are going into forclosure. Why on earth would they be purchasing high priced electronics. Many are also just struggling to get by.. they need some incentive to purchase, not just 10-20% off.

Tell that to the 10,000's of people standing in lines nationwide for the new Blackberry ($200 AFTER all rebates applied).

You may as well wait for the close out deals and get 40% off when the new model comes out instead of fighting crowds :confused: If retail is hurting the way they claim, they would offer the better deals... or are things just completly over priced to begin with.. such as homes were 2 years ago....

Retail IS hurting as bad as they claim.

Speaking for myself.. I am on a budget, but if there were a really great deal on a big ticket item, even though I did not need it, I am more inclined to purchase it since it is such a great deal. If it is just a sale, I will pass and wait until I really need that item. There are many that shop like that. The retailers have such a large markup.. they can give a better discount. Sometimes the quantity sold will bring in more money than keeping the higher mark up :yup:

Do you have actual numbers to support that claim of retailers having such high markups and aren't hurting as bad as they claim?

That is precisely why BF deals AREN'T as good this year as years past. These stores need to earn profit... not just get warm bodies in the store. Do you think they offer door-buster deals as a charitable act? They do it knowing that the typical person who buys a door-buster will buy other items there as well. If a person has less disposable income, it is quite likely that they will only have enough money to spend on the door-buster or similarly low-to-no profit item. That doesn't help the store one bit.

It worked years ago when there was more money to spend. Quantity makes money just as well as less product and higher mark ups.

Tell that to the 10,000's of people standing in lines nationwide for the new Blackberry ($200 AFTER all rebates applied).

Retail IS hurting as bad as they claim.

Do you have actual numbers to support that claim of retailers having such high markups and aren't hurting as bad as they claim?

When a store can clearance an item that sold for $20 down to $3 (and less).. yeah they do have high mark ups.. I use to work in retail. Take Target for example (no, I didn't work there), they start their clearance at 10% off then go all the way down to 90%.. they aren't going to take a full loss when they mark to 90%. What they don't sell, they donate to Goodwill as a write off too.. If they can drop to 90% to get it out of the store, you know they can drop to 50% off for a BF special... and still make a nice profit by selling a higher quantity than say dropping 25% and selling less.

No, I don't have actual numbers but logically speaking, when any store has their clearance, they aren't giving things away, they are still making a profit. It just isn't as much. So if you look at the entire picture, sales are down, retail is hurting, how do you bring it up. You lower your profit margin but increase your sales volume and you can just come out ahead. The logic here would save retail.. and the all the big Auto Company's.. The way the economy is, people just are not purchasing the way they were. Therefore the retailer must change something to survive. Many stores are going under. The 3 big Auto Co's want us to bail them out.. :mad: but they don't want to shrink their profit margin. The way they are going, they aren't going to have any profits.

Here is a prime example of what I am talking about with high mark ups.. how can this be sold for such a low price when it origianlly went for such a high price. Yes, I do know that tech things drop in value, which is part of the point I made. Why would many want to fight the crowds for a sale on BF when you can get a great deal any other time....and there are large mark ups to be able to go this low...

: Adds wireless 802.11g networking capability to your Xbox, PlayStation, or GameCube

: Uses 802.11g technology, virtually 5x faster than 802.11b

: USB powered-does not require connection to an extra power outlet

: Works with all Ethernet-equipped computers or network devices

: Offers backward-compatibility with all 802.11b 2.4GHz wireless devices

: Features wireless 64- and 128-bit WEP encryption

: Requires no drivers, setup, or configuration

: Comes with a Belkin Lifetime Warranty and free, 24-hour technical support

: NOTE - PlayStation 2 will require the PS2 Network Adapter; GameCube will require the GameCube Broadband Adapter

: Automatically connects to the wireless network by the touch of a button

Limit of 10 per customer

Regular price: $129.99

Sale price: $19.99

Forgot to answer the question about why many lined up for the new Blackberry.. they wanted to be the first to have it They don't care about money. If they wait, just as the I-phone's price did, the price will drop in a few months. To some, it is all about being the first.. they aren't the majority but they do make headlines.. The majority do wait and they don't make headlines because that is bad advertising...;)