40-something inch DLP HDTV deals?

My fiancee and I are looking for a new TV for her new apt. She would *like* to keep the TV and stand under $2000 total. I think technology-wise, a DLP projection set would probably be the best bang for the buck. I'm trying to talk her into that Samsung 46" deal for ~$1600 that is posted here from etronics (how long do you think that will last?) but we're concerned that with a stand even that might be too big for the spot we've got picked out for the TV. I think thats a really good price, and we should be able to get a stand for it for a couple hundred or less. Speaking of, what are some good stands for those tvs that don't cost a fortune?

Anyway, are there any other deals out there for 36"-44" DLPs (or something just as good) in that price range? Thanks everyone for such a great site!

There are very few DLP sets below 46". I know Samsung just came out with their newest line of DLPs and the smallest is a 42":

http://www.etronics.com/product.asp?icatid=6412&stk_code=samhlr4266w&

But that'll cost you $400 more than the 46" you're looking at.

You could also consider a good 37" LCD model as well. Waiting for something like this:

http://gottadeal.pricegrabber.com/search_getprod.php/masterid=7548733

might be a good idea. Notice that it has true 1080p (1920x1080) resolution.

There are very few DLP sets below 46". I know Samsung just came out with their newest line of DLPs and the smallest is a 42":

http://www.etronics.com/product.asp?icatid=6412&stk_code=samhlr4266w&

But that'll cost you $400 more than the 46" you're looking at.

You could also consider a good 37" LCD model as well. Waiting for something like this:

http://gottadeal.pricegrabber.com/search_getprod.php/masterid=7548733

might be a good idea. Notice that it has true 1080p (1920x1080) resolution.

yeah, thats about what I'm seeing. I'd really like to jump on the 46" one at etronics but I'm afraid how much the size might be an issue. Any idea how long that 46" one will be on sale? We might not be able to actually act on anything for a week or so. I think the 42" one is more because it has a built in tuner? I think I saw a 44" LG one on Best Buy's site, too. Any other good deals out there?

Also, what about furniture for these things? They've got these ugly glass and metal pipe stands at the stores, and they're like 700 bucks. Is there something with doors/places to put movies and stuff at a more reasonable price?

As for the 46", that price will be available for some time, if not from etronics then some other retailer(s). With new models out, the price may even drop more.

As for furniture, I'd check out AVSForum.com. There are a lot of posts from people who have DLPs showing what they use for furniture. Just search for DLP furniture, DLP cabinet, etc...

Whoa, whoa... when did you get engaged?! It was just a few months ago you were asking about advice on taking money out of your IRA so you can get a ring. Fill us in! :g_thumble

:-P Its been about 3 weeks now :D. I worked with her roommate and a local place....my original estimates from bluenile were WAAAAAYYY overboard....turns out I knew absolutely nothing about rings and aiming for a 1ct minimum and platinum bands, etc that were pushing 8k were completely unacceptable. She wanted something simpler and a smaller diamond fit her hand much better. Price-wise, I ended up going to a local place and getting a very nice ring for ~3k, which I already had saved up at ING. All in all, everything worked out great, she gets compliments from EVERYONE on it, and I'm in the process of eventually moving to join her in South Bend, IN. All's well that ends well! Thanks everyone for all the advice and everything....

As far as the TV goes....she called up this afternoon with the measurements of where we want to put it, and it sounds like we have a lot more space than she thought...I think I can push for the 46" DLP and get a stand from Target or something and keep the whole thing under 2k easily. LOL, gotta love marrying a newly graduated doctor - she's gonna be my sugar mama! Heh!

Sometime in Fall of '06. We've been busy with her moving and graduation lately....we're still trying to get a rough estimate of how many people we'll have so we can find a place and then set a specific date. I'm sure I'll enjoy being more involved now that she's got time to plan it :D