need hot deal on verizon wireless + v710 + a 2d cheapo phone

we want a 710 and a cheap phone for the family plan because it is going to be full price, as I understand it. Don't mind ebay but want a reasonably new model. Doesn't need all the bells and whistles. It's an occassional use we're adding to a family plan. also, I am aware of amazon's deal, but considering we need the 2d phone, is there a better option?

also do the minutes offered under the plan vary by retailer?

IIRC, the minutes (or plans) are usually the same across all retailer.

By the way where do you live? You can try to get it from the retailer not in your state to avoid sales tax (unless you are in sales tax free states). On the other hand, some small stores may have good deal as well. for example, in SF chinatown sometimes the deal is better than amazon.com.

I'm in Ohio :( I just have the big box stores or amazon. I've been doing some reading and although wirefly etc have great deals, it's a headache to (try to) get the rebate. It looks like it's about $50 less to get it from amazon with $200 in rebates and the 2d one from ebay (yuk) vs getting 2 locally with no rebates.

Well, Amazon rebate only require 1 year contract. and I have used Amazon rebate before and they are good. (tmobile, but also amazon rebate)

the 710 has two rebates: 150 from amazon and 50 from verizon giving you $25 back..

Other option is to get the 2nd phone from craigslist. Not sure if the city you live is listed in craigslist, but it's nice to be able to see the item before you purchase it.

two years ago, I've got 2 phones (Sony Ericson T610) from amazon. Since this is an activation of new plans (one new, the other is transfer from Cingular), I got $200 back per phone. I was able to get the rebate only with one year contract plus $400 rebate. I thought that was good deal. At that time, the rebate allow for multiple lines..

But last year, when I tried to get a good deal (by switching carrier) Cingular only offer rebate for one phone only per plan (family plan). Then I decided to stay with tmobile. I renew a 1 yr contract, and they give me two nokia 6010 for $17 each shipped. I just sold one at ebay for $30 shipped. in that case, it would be a win-win situation for me and the winning bidder. He got a new phone for a cheaper price than in store. and I, even with a year contract, well, get $10. lol.

from what I have heard, verizon has the best coverage nationwide. but tmobile, to me has the cheapest price. hey, $400 rebate, what can I say?

I went to verizonwireless.com and their best deal isn't as good as the amazon deal. It's 99.99 for the 710 then 19.99 for the cheapest phone--sorry it's not any help!!

yeah turns out if you call them, they make the 6015i and the 404 free and waive both activations on the $80 family plan which you can drop down to the $60 plan right away when you get the phone ;)

I went that route. I didn't want to deal with wirefly etc.