Target: Frequently Asked Questions + Price Adjustments

mysticmage

Due to many questions that get asked several times over and over again, I have made a FAQ thread. This thread will go over thoroughly almost all questions about going to Target and their certain polices and is complied of information throughout the forums. Regardless of the situation you may be in, the tips I have put together are designed get answers to your questions faster, ensure you get what you go to Target for (even if you go before Black Friday this will explain how to get an item at the Black Friday price), and save some members the stress of hearing the same question over and over again.

Online Ad: see this forum

Black Friday in Store Purchases

Why should I go to Target?

Mainly because most people, myself included, love to have a Thanksgiving meal, and still get some great deals. No longer will you be a slave to getting to a store at 12 PM Thanksgiving day, using the polices stated on this thread, you will be able to forget about those chaotic days, and welcome some methods that even allow you to get almost all items such as HD LCD TV's and LCD Monitors before Black Friday at the same price! Target has great deals and requires the least effort to get them!

Visiting the Store

Waiting in line is pointless and I don't recommend doing it because you can simply get price adjustments. If you wait until it's too late to buy the items, these tips will serve you well.

What time does the line start at Target?

Like most stores, it is based on your location. Normally, the lines aren't too bad and getting there a few hours in advance should do it unless the deal is a very, very, good bargain. In most cases, getting there at 3:00 AM should be fine. The line begins, however, at around 12:00 AM on Black Friday.

Does Target do wake-up calls?

Target used to in the past however the service no longer exists. There are a few companies who are doing them, however, the earliest is 6:00 AM, which is way too late for any sale.

Who should I take with me?

Everyone you can. While I like sending them off to another store, the more people, the faster it is to shop. Moreover, if you face an issue with people taking items from your cart, there are people there to watch over it.

How many of each item do they have at Target?

Target does not simply have 10 of one item and are very good at keeping high quantity of items. Moreover, in comparison to an electronic store, people will be looking for things outside of the one department so if your far back, it isn't much of an issue. They almost always have so much, you can come hours after the sale and still get everything on your list.

As posted, some stores have items everywhere, so it may be harder to find what you are looking for.

Does Target do tickets?

Yes and no. They do not ticket every item that they have but if they only have two of an item (which is pretty rare) they may hand out tickets for it.

How long does the line get?

Pretty long to say the least. As said before, even if you are the last in line, most of the time you can get what you want.

Are there Door Busters?

No. Target does not do Door Busters; all item prices last for two days, although the items most certainly don't!

What do I do as soon as I get into the store?

As soon as you get in the store get to the department of the item you believe will go the fastest and grab it. As stated, items aren't always in there correct departments. Typically, electronics do not stay long so put those at top priority! Some hot items that are talked about here aren't going to last long at all, so get there fast.

Does Target give out rain checks on Black Friday?

Once again, yes and no. It all depends on the item and store.

Is is like a riot in Target?

It is Black Friday... you can't expect much.

I want _____. How fast will it run out at?

It varies based on the stores talk and demand.

If you are first in line, can you get anything you want?

No. As stated before, Target does not do tickets therefore someone could simply get to where you want to be before you.

Does Target give out items (survival kits) to the people in line?

They used to, however no information has been located on it yet for this year.

How many people does Target let in at once?

It varies based on your location and firecode. Sometimes only a group or sometimes the entire line.

What are the hot items this year?

You can see based on what items are the most talked about in this forum.

I have further questions regarding my specific Target store.

Calling your local Target will get you most answers, but do wait until at the very least two weeks before as the employees will know more at that time. Be advised however they will be very busy and pretty stressed in result. Most of the time, it is best to ask for a manager to speak to. The number is under 'Department Stores' in Yellow Pages.

Target Success Plan

On Black Friday

1. Get up at two in the morning

2. Get out to your Target by 2:30 AM

3. Wait

4. Go get your items

Before Black Friday

1. Talk to the manager or a high up store employee, ask about any policies you are wondering about

2. Try to find out where the items will be (your best bet is to write a list of the items you want from the scan and try to find them around the store) although that's kind of pointless to do because you can simply get a price adjustment.

Target's Price Adjustment Policy

How can I get an item before Black Friday at the Black Friday price?

Target has a price adjustment policy in which will allow you to adjust the price of an item within two weeks of the date of purchase if advertise a lower price on the item. Therefore, most Black Friday items such as TV's, Monitors, Games, and Movies are already out thus you can buy them, come back at any time on Black Friday or Saturday, and get a Price Adjustment.

How do I know that this works?

After Black Friday last year I created this thread (link) to see how everything went and it turned out most people got their adjustment perfectly fine. They have also sent out emails stating that they are doing it once again.

What is their policy?

If you buy an item in advance of Black Friday (or any day, for that matter), and within two weeks, if Target advertises a lower price, they will match the price and refund the difference.

Is this in effect for all stores on Black Friday?

Yes, although some managers do not honor the policy. For more information you may wish to see the question regarding what happens when the policy is not honored or better yet, talk to the store manager.

Why do some stores not know of this?

The managers do what they feel is best without corporate instruction, and do not listen to the corporate office, or simply do not know the policy is in effect.

How can I claim this policy?

Quite simple.

1.) Go to Target within two weeks advanced of Black Friday and purchase all of your Black Friday items. Ring them up on a charge and do NOT open them until you get the adjustment in case something goes wrong - this is a must! Triple check the model numbers.

2.) Come back on either day of the two day sale whatever time you like.

3.) Head to the Guest Service desk and hand them your receipt for the items (you don't need to bring the actual items).

4.) You get your price adjustment(s).

Why should I use a charge and not open them?

If for whatever reason the store refutes to do the adjustment, you could take them back very easily.

What can I do to ensure I get the proper adjustment?

There are several things you could do, but most of all, be polite and don't be rude, even if they are to you. The employees are most likely tired from all the holiday stress, and an annoying customer isn't exactly going to make them want to run the extra mile, so try your best to be nice, calm, and personable. If that approach doesn't work, chances are these will:

1.) Refer to their policy written on the wall.

2.) Get the policy emailed by the corporate website (Make sure the response is sent to you and no one else has used it)

3.) Call the district manager or make a threat to do so by asking for the number

4.) Threaten to not leave until you get the adjustment

Why should I not use someone else's email they sent to Target?

You should get your own as if they look up the Thread ID and find this letter was looked up 432 times today, they may decline your claim. Moreover, if the letter was addressed to Heather, and your name is Mike, you aren't going to pull it off.

What is Target's email?

[email protected] is Target's email. Most typically get a reply within 6 hours.

Can I buy something in advance and return it to rebuy?

No. It takes them a while to get it back on the shelf, if they chose to put it back. Moreover, Black Friday is to bring people to the stores with hopes of getting the deals and buy something else while you are out there.

Does Target do Price Matching?

No, they do not. Price Matching is when you another store advertises a lower price and they will match the price. However, they do price adjustments which is very different. Don't try to ask for them to price match when you try to get an adjustment, they'll say no and you'll be wondering why.

Good luck at Target and I hope you get what you are looking for :)

Edited by mysticmage
spelling, grammar, added new material based on current information

What do I do as soon as I get into the store?

As soon as you get in the store get to the department of the item you believe will go the fastest and grab it. Typically, electronics do not stay long so put those at top priority! Some hot items that are talked about here aren't going to last long at all, so get there fast!

Last year this was NOT AT ALL our experience at Target. The tv's w/ dvd player were in Christams and the game chairs were in women's underwear. Like we would know this when running into the store. Neither of these departments were near electronics.

3.) Call the district manager or make a threat to do so

4.) Threaten to not leave until you get the adjustment

5.) Make a threat to take legal action

What legal action could you take or threaten to take?

The Targets here would not do a price adjustment for items bought ahead of time last year. Don't most ads have some type of disclaimer on them that the prices are not good on previously purchased items?

Last year this was NOT AT ALL our experience at Target. The tv's w/ dvd player were in Christams and the game chairs were in women's underwear. Like we would know this when running into the store. Neither of these departments were near electronics.

Sorry to hear that, I've edited my post to further expand on different experiences.

What legal action could you take or threaten to take?

The Targets here would not do a price adjustment for items bought ahead of time last year. Don't most ads have some type of disclaimer on them that the prices are not good on previously purchased items?

I don't actually recommend it, the idea was brought up by someone before on a different thread. I'll remove that as well.

Here is a thread I made last year after my FAQ's: link, 90% of the people they were able to get their adjustment perfectly fine with little problems.

Edited by mysticmage

• 2 weeks later...
One thing that should be considered, I think the items need to be bought either within ONE WEEK or the same week that the SALE price goes into effect. I think that people who had problems may have had them because they got over-zealous and bought their items too early. It might be confusing, but I BELIEVE (not 100% sure) that the policy is that the price has to change within a week of when you bought it. (So buy your item on the Sunday or Monday before Black Friday) But you have TWO WEEKS to get the actual adjustment. SO BE CAREFUL: Do NOT buy the item more than a week ahead of time, and to be safe, buy it the same week. (By the way, I bought the 37" Olevia HDTV using the price adjustment tips I learned on this website and had ZERO problems.)

Oh yeah, and like mystic said, BE SURE to say "price adjustment" (NOT pricematch). Price adjustment = Target giving you the lower price of their OWN sale, Price match = Target giving you the same price of another store's lower price.

Target does NOT pricematch.

Heh, yea last year with me the 37' Olevia HDTV's were in some clothing section, but they told us that before hand.

The success plan is pretty accurate, I went there at around 2:30-3 last year...was maybe 20th in line and they did not hand out tickets for the TV I wanted. Some people had carts and what not, but I went in with nothing, ran to the TV's and was there second. They had about 25 of them though.

• 2 weeks later...

One thing that should be considered, I think the items need to be bought either within ONE WEEK or the same week that the SALE price goes into effect. I think that people who had problems may have had them because they got over-zealous and bought their items too early. It might be confusing, but I BELIEVE (not 100% sure) that the policy is that the price has to change within a week of when you bought it. (So buy your item on the Sunday or Monday before Black Friday) But you have TWO WEEKS to get the actual adjustment. SO BE CAREFUL: Do NOT buy the item more than a week ahead of time, and to be safe, buy it the same week. (By the way, I bought the 37" Olevia HDTV using the price adjustment tips I learned on this website and had ZERO problems.)

this may soudn silly, but make sure the sale price is still active when you go to request the adjustment. you'd be surprised how many people i see at local stores who bought something within the time frame required for adjustment and then try to get the sale price saying i am within my two weeks, even though teh sale price is not active still

this may soudn silly, but make sure the sale price is still active when you go to request the adjustment. you'd be surprised how many people i see at local stores who bought something within the time frame required for adjustment and then try to get the sale price saying i am within my two weeks, even though teh sale price is not active still

YES! If you want the BF doorbuster adjustment price you must go during those hours!

i.e. 5am-1pm etc. One yr I got the Westi 22" monitor for full price the day before (make

sure model #'s are exact) and got the $199 adj. on BF. :D

This is the email Target sends when you inquire about price adjusting:

It sounds like you have some questions about our price adjustment policy.

We're able to make adjustments on sale merchandise if we advertise a lower price either the same week or the week following your Target purchase. Adjustments can be made with your original receipt and as a reminder this service isn't available on clearance merchandise.

Items in the 2-Day sale ad during Black Friday follow normal price adjustment guidelines. Therefore, if the item was purchased on Sunday, Monday, Tuesday or Wednesday of the same week as the sale, or any day the week before, it is eligible for price adjustment.

Want to check the price of something? Just stop by Guest Service during your next visit. Our team members will be happy to help you.

Target provides the latest merchandise at the lowest possible price. Be sure to check out our circular online and stay up-to-date with what's on-sale.

I seriously doubt ehy will match the xbox thing, isn't it a gift card/bundle deal. They don't match a bundle as far as I know.

Ok so general concensus (in terms of what's worked previously) is that we can start purchasing BF items this Sunday then go on BF for price adjustment? Or should we wait til Monday?

Yes. Purchase the items the week of BF, go in the day/days of the sale for price adj.

This is the email Target sends when you inquire about price adjusting:

It sounds like you have some questions about our price adjustment policy.

We're able to make adjustments on sale merchandise if we advertise a lower price either the same week or the week following your Target purchase. Adjustments can be made with your original receipt and as a reminder this service isn't available on clearance merchandise.

Items in the 2-Day sale ad during Black Friday follow normal price adjustment guidelines. Therefore, if the item was purchased on Sunday, Monday, Tuesday or Wednesday of the same week as the sale, or any day the week before, it is eligible for price adjustment.

Want to check the price of something? Just stop by Guest Service during your next visit. Our team members will be happy to help you.

Target provides the latest merchandise at the lowest possible price. Be sure to check out our circular online and stay up-to-date with what's on-sale.

I seriously doubt ehy will match the xbox thing, isn't it a gift card/bundle deal. They don't match a bundle as far as I know.

I got that same email, but minus the paragraph about the 2-Day sale.

I got that same email, but minus the paragraph about the 2-Day sale.

Hmmm That has me curious, why would they cut that out? :confused::shock:

My time is wrong on my post?

It is 7:37 when I made post here-- and the time has always been correct on gottadeal. This post says 4:37? Twilight zone...

Edited by allshoppedout
TIME wrong??

YES! If you want the BF doorbuster adjustment price you must go during those hours!

i.e. 5am-1pm etc. One yr I got the Westi 22" monitor for full price the day before (make

sure model #'s are exact) and got the $199 adj. on BF. :D

Target does not have doorbusters. Only a 2 day sale. If you buy something in advance you have all day Friday and Saturday.

Target is the ONLY store to do this. I don't think other stores price adjust during there doorbuster hours.

Target does not have doorbusters. Only a 2 day sale. If you buy something in advance you have all day Friday and Saturday.

Target is the ONLY store to do this. I don't think other stores price adjust during there doorbuster hours.

Last year Sears did a price adjustment for me during the doorbuster hours.

Why do they have to make the policy so confusing? They price adj is on purchases within 14 days of the sale. Today I purchased the Memorex Ipod dock CD/fm tuner $79/$44 on BF. The 2in1 stick vac $19.99/$10 on BF and the jrs Mossimo jeans. Ill go in Bf to get an adj.

Sounds like they are so bombarded with this question that they are just sending out the same email to everyone now, without really reading the question. It is my interpretation that you will not get the new offer as it is a bundle instead of a price change... but you can call your local store and ask, or call a different store first, like a different TOWN store, to practice (I get nervous) Good luck