Holiday Angels

childofsolitude

I have a co-worker that just had her divorce finalized last week and is really struggling financially. She has a dd7 and ds5. I think I am going to adopt her family and try to raise some money from my other co-workers so they can have a good Christmas.

That's really nice of you. I'm sure she will be very appreciative!

I will tell you all a story that happened a few weeks ago, Several years I worked with out local toys for tots to get one toy for every child that lived on two of my properties to make sure that these children had at least one special present from Santa.

The Marines would let me and my staff inside and we would pick out the toy for the chiildren from the properties. I never had so much fun but that was besides the point, I would then take all these toys to my house wrap them, tag them and then we would have santa come to the properties and we would take the pictures of the children as they got their presents from Santa. This was hard work and my staff gave of their time to do this.

Three years ago I stopped doing it when alot of parents had not come and get these presents, I decided that it was obvious that they didnt need them, didnt care or was just to lazy to walk across the street. It was one of the hardest things I did to stop doing this as it brought lots of joy to myself and my kids as they were always involved in the getting wrapping and giving. I still have people ask about if I would ever do the Santa program again and I explained that it just wouldnt work out again,

Now fast forward as I am in Walmart and the Cashier asks if I was the manager of such and such property and I stated I was, Well she wanted to thank me as she doesnt rememeber if she ever did but the first year I did the program we picked 5 families and she was one of them and she stated that, that year was one of the best Christmas her kids had ever had as she just didnt know where she was going to get the money to get anything for her kids and there I was with several bags of toys for her kids from Santa and she would never forget that year or me.

It humbles a person to think that you can make a differance in a person's life, Or that they would remember something as little as a toy for a child. I saw the faces of those kids, and I have adopted familes and then happened to be there when they picked up their goodies for their families and the tears of joy when they thought all was lost. I dont have a lot and there are times I wonder how am I going to do for mine, But I always find away, and for those 6Christmas I was they way for a lot of those children.

Just a story a true one but a story non the less.

I think that this is a great idea. If there is a "loophole" in a program, someone will find it and use it to there advantage. It is unfortunate that people are always looking to take advantage of other peoples kindness.

As I was reading all of these posts I just sat here and cried. The true spirit of christmas is to give, to do unto others as you would have them do unto you. No matter what the circumstances some of you still find a way to give and I think that is a great kindness. I have always wanted to choose a child and do this, but every year we are struggling to buy for our own children.

I was recently telling a ex-neighbor (she is in missions and just moved away) about our own financial strain this year and she suggested that I contact a local church and have my children adopted. I know my children won't have a great christmas, but they have so much already (mostly things family has bought or hand me downs) & I know that there are familys in far more need than mine. I have spent $26 so far for christmas and have 3 presents for DS8, 7 for DD6, 4 for DD3, and none for DS1. I have around $275 (total not per child) to spend on them (what we can save between now and christmas) I will look for really great deals and make my money count. There will at least be stuff on christmas morning they can use, need & want. I will get the older 2 something nice (1 big item a piece DS Star Wars Legos & DD a scooter) and the younger ones won't care as long as there are some toy's and shoes (they have shoe fettishes :tongue1:) Next year, I will be better planned, and hopefully we won't be as stressed with money & I can help someone in need. My family on the other hand will prob. not like getting a present, but for them the present from us will be getting to come home for Christmas. We recently moved 4 states away, and if we buy them presents we won't be able to go home.

If you don't want to give to a charity, think about someone you know, or work with that is having hard times and help them out. Even a gift card to a grocery store is greatly appreciated when you don't know if you will be able to buy grocerys next week.

Just wanted to share my opinion & story. Sorry it's such a long post.

In this area you can only sign up for one giving program, So if you do an angel tree, you do not get to sign up for Toys for Tots.

The point some of us were making is that even though they are only supposed to sign up for one program, some sign up for many. Like what a PP was talking about with the person bragging about getting over $800 worth of stuff for each kid because she signed them up for all the programs. While we want to help make sure a child doesn't go without on Christmas, these people are possibly denying another child from getting chosen because they are signing up for multiple programs and being greedy.

The point some of us were making is that even though they are only supposed to sign up for one program, some sign up for many. Like what a PP was talking about with the person bragging about getting over $800 worth of stuff for each kid because she signed them up for all the programs. While we want to help make sure a child doesn't go without on Christmas, these people are possibly denying another child from getting chosen because they are signing up for multiple programs and being greedy.

The angel trees that are done in my area through the salvation army only accept clothing items for the angels. If the parents want the children to recieve toys they have to sign up through Toys for Tots.

When my daughter was in 4th grade instead of exchanging gifts with classmates during the Christmas party they had them donate. That was hard to explain to a 9yr old special needs kid that there are some kids who don't have Christmas without the special Santa helpers.

This year I have a Secret Sister from another group that I've been sending things to all year. Her husband decide he wanted a divorce right before their anniversary. Since this will be a hard year for the kids, I've decided to do something special for them.

My family won't be doing to much do to some unexpected bills. But, when my daughter was young we were adopted at Christmas through her school districts Christmas Connection program. So I've been trying to find a way to pay it forward. I just started back to work after 3 yrs off due to a knee injury so I'm still playing catch up with bills. Though with all the great info on the sales I can stretch my money a little bit more.

• 4 weeks later...

I just turned in my Angel Tree gifts!:holiday07 I always have soo much fun putting together the presents and then wrappping them up. Now I just need to clean up my wrapping paper mess.

I also donated a bunch of toys to Toys for Tots. My husband said he felt like Santa and our car was his sleigh!:holiday16

Thanks for listing all the great deals and to Target for there 75% off toy celerance!

Edited by MathGirl
Change sled to sleigh

I know that my opinion will not be one that everyone will want to hear, But as far as children's wishes why shouldnt a child ask for what they want, Do your children want underware, sock and such for Christmas ? Why shouldnt they want what other children want ? Being poor and parents needing help is one thing, But they are still children who want what every other child wants.

I see nothing wrong with a DS or a playstation or games on their list for older children I see that as normal. Popular toys yes they want them as does every other child,

I also work with the elderly with Santa for a Senior and I will tell you these grown-ups are 10 x worse then little kids, I have complaints every year on what they get, Or I hear why did she get this and I get that. So please dont think the elderly are any better, I had one a couple yeras ago put a car, another put a couch, so these forms ask for their wants not thier needs

I completely agree ive known some families on the angel tree and the parents write down what they need and ask the kids to name a few toys they want... Kids are kids and they all want the same things whether its expensive or not.All they know is other kids want it or have it not how much it costs.