want a laugh? read this (re: Big Lots BF Ad)

Brad

Stupid them, I usually have the list of where I plan to go to find the items I want BEFORE the "official" sales are released. Ok, so by the time I find out what is on sale at Big Lot I'll be on someone else's line..... then again, we're talking Big Lot, I usually throw that ad in the trash anyway. Besides I pretty much know I'll be on line at Best Buy by 12 noon Thursday :cheesy:

This made me laugh!!! I was a manager at Big Lots and let me reassure you that you are not missing much!!! And truthfully if you really wanted it they set it out on Wed any way. That company is really lame. One year we gave out stuffed Big lot mascot guys.....which was funny all in it self cause it was an old man in a jump suit. tights and a cape! Yeah let me tell you we had lots of those left over!

Sure won't be holding my breath for this one, but I see that there are a number of them in the area (Fort Worth and even Weatherford, Texas) where I will be visiting family this holiday, so I might just check out the ad and the store after getting to the higher priority places.

Hey, by doing this they actually got some advertising, as I might not have even noticed them if it weren't for this thread.

And hey #2, one of those costumes with a cape might come in handy! or not. ;)

I guess somebody has enough free time on their hands to go through the trouble of generating that kind of letter. Honestly, Big Lots isn't really considered (IMO) a top-flight venue for BF shopping. Oh well, I guess we will all act surprised when their ad does come out, then immediately recycle it.

once in awhile they have good eals on dvds...but other than that...i can get those "doorbusters" at anytime throughout the year for same price, so i aint worried...lol...just another store to avoid that weekend ( esp if they dont have what i want, and at this point i dont know what that is...so what does the ad have in it so i can base my decisions on it...;) kidding...lol)

WOW! I laughed just a little... lets all hope Best Buy and the other more POPULAR stores dont follow this trend!! GEESH!

Best Buy just today threatened to terminate any affiliate who posts the BF ad early. That threat probably won't stop us, but it's not looking good overall this year...

hmm all jokes aside I went in there today and they had a large selection of Hannah Montana and HS musical toys out in the middle of the isle........I wonder could it actually be interesting.....

A lot of stores seem to be clearancing out their Hannah Montana stuff lately, don't know why. HS musical is either they are getting rid of the stuff from 1 & 2 before 3 comes out or putting out stuff for #3 before it comes out which is in a couple of weeks I think.

I don't think stores put out their BF stuff a month ahead of time.

What?!?!?! How on earth can I be expected to figure out what discontinued items and nearly expired groceries to buy?

--lying in the floor, shaking with withdrawals

:sidesplit don't forget all the low quality cheap stuff that breaks right away you won't be able to plan on getting ahead of time

A lot of stores seem to be clearancing out their Hannah Montana stuff lately, don't know why. HS musical is either they are getting rid of the stuff from 1 & 2 before 3 comes out or putting out stuff for #3 before it comes out which is in a couple of weeks I think.

Didn't Miley Cirus say she was not going to do Hannah Montana anymore? If so, I would think that is why it is all being clearanced away...who wants to get stuck with $5 million worth of stuff when the star is no longer playing...

Big lots has never been on my shopping list and now they can join walmart on my never go on black friday list. Honestly what is wrong with theese stores? If I had a store I would take all the free advertisment I could get. I have my shopping list done before the 24th and theese stores just miss out. by the 24th I am so busy with family and cooking that I cant take the time to look through ads and change my list. OH WELL their loss, and 2 less lines for me to stand in.;)

"The advertisements and information therein are protected by trade secret, copyright and other federal and state laws"

The trade secret they mention is that the stuff sucks. Hey Chad, thanks for sparing me some time glancing at your worthless circular. Now I have more time for real sale shoppin'

It's not that Big Lots doesn't appreciate the free advertisement from Gottadeal (they do), it's just that they don't want to be a party in creating an early morning Black Friday crowd scene outside of every Big Lots Store and the inevitable injuries that would result when the frenzied shoppers make the mad dash for the soon to expire Poptarts priced 3 boxes for 99 cents as soon as the doors open. Gottadeal revealing Big Lots' rock bottom price on the almost out of date Poptarts will just be too much advertising market saturation for Big Lots to support safety. So you see, it's for the best for everyone involved. Edited by zzyzx
Because I felt like it

It's not that Big Lots doesn't appreciate the free advertisement from Gottadeal (they do), it's just that they don't want to be a party in creating an early morning Black Friday crowd scene outside of every Big Lots Store and the inevitable injuries that would result when the frenzied shoppers make the mad dash for the soon to expire Poptarts priced 3 boxes for 99 cents as soon as the doors open. Gottadeal revealing Big Lots' rock bottom price on the almost out of date Poptarts will just be too much advertising market saturation for Big Lots to support safety. So you see, it's for the best for everyone involved.

ty , i needed a good laugh!

How ironic. You'd think that with the economy in the tank and Big Lots finally mopping a few floors and fixing the automatic doors to save what business they can in their remaining stores they would have paid you to publish their ads. But honestly I rarely give "reconditioned", "refurbished", end of the model year or soon to expire repriced "Giant Drug Store Buyout" merchandise as Christmas gifts. Most of their current first quality merchandise can be purchased elsewhere for the same or less with less hassle or worry if you should need to return it. And most of their food goods, if actually packaged for sale within the USA, are so close to sell by date that you'd be better served to purchase elsewhere and gain a few weeks (or months) on their shelf life. Funny, but last year I drove past two Big Lots on my way to Target and there was no line and very few cars in the parking lot but the Target lot was packed when I got there an hour before opening.

"The advertisements and information therein are protected by trade secret, copyright and other federal and state laws"

The trade secret they mention is that the stuff sucks. Hey Chad, thanks for sparing me some time glancing at your worthless circular. Now I have more time for real sale shoppin'

One of their other "trade secrets" (now don't tell anyone) is they do these drug store buyouts (Exhard, Rite-Aid, SuperX, etc), take the stuff back to their warehouse and reprice the merchandise at double the normal price (often time covering an expiration date and/or previous lower price with their purple price sticker). The merchandise then goes into the Big Lots store at a whopping 10% off. As time passes the discount is increased but the merchandise become terribly shop worn, often time spoiled by leaking product because things are consolidated as they need less space. I contacted the office of the Ohio Attorney General because in Ohio you cannot increase the price of merchandise to advertise a disount but was told that because the merchandise was not originally in the Big Lots store at a lower price they could price it however they wanted.

Edited by ChrisM
added information