>>> Official Black Friday 2008 DESKTOP Discussion Thread <<<

Brad

Just a heads up for the folks considering the $449 Pavillion Slimline desktop from Circuit City:

In doing my research I managed to find the model number on the $449 desktop from CC (a clearer scan of the Circuit City ad from a non-GD site). The ad clearly states model #S3400F. According to HP, that model number's official specs are nowere near the specs listed in the ad! :shock: In fact, the official specs on that model number, as well as the entire S3400 series, are much higher. I searched around and found no mention of this so far.

Did someone up in CC's printing depot get the wrong product number? Or did the 'other' BF site get duped with a misprinted ad? Or are folks in for a nice surprise when they get through the line for that PC? :eyepoppin

Srry forgot to add. Do you think it will be ticketed?

Neither say they're doorbusters, but odds are both will be ticketed and you'll need to be one of the first few dozen in line to get 'em. More likely the people in front of the line will want the sub-$400 laptop but none of the cheaper laptops or desktops last very long. The $599 one has a minimum of 6 per store and the $299 one has a minimum of 10.

Neither say they're doorbusters, but odds are both will be ticketed and you'll need to be one of the first few dozen in line to get 'em. More likely the people in front of the line will want the sub-$400 laptop but none of the cheaper laptops or desktops last very long. The $599 one has a minimum of 6 per store and the $299 one has a minimum of 10.

What happens in a case where they dont give out all the tickets?

I want the 599 desktop but dont/cant be out all night the earliest I can get to bestbuy is 6am...think they would still have it? and along with that at 6am would the store still be crowded and a line out in front (as they only let a certain amount of ppl in i think)?

Back by popular demand: the 2008 Desktop Comparison Charts! :D Once again, I apologize for them bein' so late. Hope they still help. ;)

http://blackfriday.gottadeal.com/charts/gdcc2008.php

Just a few things about the desktop info:

When you first go to the charts page it defaults to the previous years. I included all the previous year's info so folks can compare previous deals with this year. Make sure you specifically select the '2008 Desktops' to view this year's deals. And remember you can sort and organize the information as you please. Just put your mouse over the parts of the chart for brief instructions.

A few models are BF/store exclusive (Like the Walmart PCs), so little is known about 'em just yet. I'll post the official specs soon as we get 'em.

Keep in mind the specs on Circuit City's $449.98 HP desktop are different than the real 'official' specs of that model. They may make an announcement regarding that error (either the model number is wrong or the brief specs they give are wrong) or they'll just fix it before it goes to the mass printing press. I"ll post the real specs of that model later.

I want to know which desktop deal you recommend for a good desktop.

Best Buy: 599.99 HP a6614f Desktop with AMD Phenom™ X4 9500 Processor, 21.6" LCD Monitor, Inkjet Printer & Antivirus

or

Circuit City: 799.99 HP Pavilion a6658f Desktop PC, HP W1907 19" Widescreen Monitor, HP Deskjet F4210 All-in-One Printer, Scanner, Copier

I'm looking for a gaming computer. Both of these computers have good processor, but graphic card is different that I can not decide which is better.

I want to know which desktop deal you recommend for a good desktop.

Best Buy: 599.99 HP a6614f Desktop with AMD Phenom™ X4 9500 Processor, 21.6" LCD Monitor, Inkjet Printer & Antivirus

or

Circuit City: 799.99 HP Pavilion a6658f Desktop PC, HP W1907 19" Widescreen Monitor, HP Deskjet F4210 All-in-One Printer, Scanner, Copier

I'm looking for a gaming computer. Both of these computers have good processor, but graphic card is different that I can not decide which is better.

The processor on the one from CC is a Q6600 running on an Asus IPIBL-LB motherboard. Both processors seem similar, however nearly all benchmarks between the two show that Core2Quads can out-perform the Phenom 9000 series any day of the week. :gdparanoid: Dunno if you get into overclocking or if your gaming needs require it, or just how easy it may be on an HP machine, but the the Q6600 processors are deemed fairly easy to do that. The CC PC would be the better deal since it's the better processor and the rest of the components are pretty similar + it comes with a monitor and printer.

Folks, I cannot emphasize this enough: When looking for a gaming PC, never EEEEEE-ever look at the integrated graphics chip. Look for PCs with an open PCI-express x16 slot. Both of those have one, so have someone install a GeForce GTX graphics card or something. Overhaul the PC's internal cooling system if necessary. Then, my grasshoppah, you shall only begin to dwell into the realm of gaming. :D

Edited by stationchief

Hi everyone. A friends Daughter just emailed me about a desktop. She is looking to upgrade her Dad's desktop.

This is what she wants: "a simple/standard Dell desktop with 19" monitor for no more than $600"

I don't know anything about Dell so I am here asking the experts. Also if there are any other brands let me know also so I can give her options instead of a Dell if need be, maybe she can get a better one for the same price that is not a Dell. |

Thanks everyone.

So, did anybody get a desktop? :confused:

I bought the $399 HP at Walmart on BF. Needed to replace our secondary desktop and I just wanted something simple for email & surfing. The LCD monitor I bought last year for it as a replacement went about month ago so I wanted something that had the monitor included. The computer was a very old Compaq that is running :eek: Windows 98 *gasp*! Not sure if I'll find anything cheaper before Christmas but I'm hoping I got a decent deal for what I need it for.