Letter Received from Walmart's Legal Representatives

Brad

I think it's all ridiculous about not wanting people to see these early. This year the stores are going to be begging people to come in and shop and even then the holiday season is going to be really bad. All the financial talking heads and Wall St. have scared the bejeebers out of everybody so bad that people are going to be hoarding their cash. If I were a store I would want to make sure that people could put me in their shopping plans, IF they even had any.

Last couple of years we have gone to Staples first thing and then to Target in the afternoon. May even shop at Staples online instead of freezing in line. Did hit BB last year because our daughter wanted a digicam, but that's it. This year may not even do that depending on what people have on sale. The only thing I'm looking for is a GPS and I can probably find those anytime on sale. Luckily, though, I don't have a lot of people to shop for. Just hubby and daughter and MIL. And since we bought a new house this year hubby and I may just forget the gifts.

For the person looking for a printer, check out all the office supply places. I found a HP wireless photo printer scanner at Office Max last year for $150 off (basically 1/2 price). And it was in the later afternoon of BF. They still had lots left. Walked in, found the deal, checked out. Check out took about 5 minutes.

I think they stopped their affiliation with gottadeal last year when they posted their ad early. Brad, is that right?

Correct, Target basically kicked us out of their affiliate program (without any warning) for posting their ad last year. Despite the fact that they did not do it to other sites and the fact that earlier in the year they wanted to purchase advertising on the BF site for their sale. So Target is no better (and perhaps worse) than WM. At least WM gave us advance notice.

I never go to Walmart anyways- they are a crappy store to begin with, dirty, bad customer service, and crappy quality items. I love Target- great prices, great quality, and great customer service and by the way treat their employees much better than box mart.

Correct, Target basically kicked us out of their affiliate program (without any warning) for posting their ad last year. Despite the fact that they did not do it to other sites and the fact that earlier in the year they wanted to purchase advertising on the BF site for their sale. So Target is no better (and perhaps worse) than WM. At least WM gave us advance notice.

:no:Just makes no sense that some stores have to be so mean.

As a mom of 4 little ones, they always have something cheaper than anyone else my kids want, and they price match any "local" ad, so it saved me some time to go there, before heading out of town with "the girls" to shop!! This year though, we have moved (from SC to MS) and I don't know anywhere to shop here, or have anyone to go with, so I was thinking about hitting WM.....but with this crap again this year, I don't know....might have to do some googling to find me some other stores that are close to shop at.....:confused:

I only get some younger childrens gifts there so not a biggie for me but of course the ad will be leaked - so are they going to run a round fed exing e1 a letter when they post it on line ? lmfaoooo I can just see that in court now- ....

The only thing that would draw me into Walmart this year is Star Wars toys on great discounts. My son really wants the build your own lightsaber kit. I think Target had it on sale last BF. I'm hoping WM does this year. If they don't, why else would I go? For kid's pjs and jeans? Target had their pjs and jeans on sale this past month. Bought my big LCD last year at Target. (and I can shop their Wed and get price adjustments...WM is going to miss MY money this year)

I really don't know how Wal Mart can stay in business in areas with Meijer around. Even Target is better than Wal Mart.

Unfortunately had I to buy 1 thing at a Wal Mart while in Florida last week, and it scanned up wrong.

I think I would go without something than go to Wal Mart to buy it.

Well technically, their copyright laws only extend to scanning the actual ad. If I were to list the stuff, that does not constitute copyright violations. I mean the ace hardware ad was pulled but you can still see a listing of it here on the site. Besides you know some other site will put up the ad the minute it comes out. It must be getting close to BF once the fancy pant lawyers start sending out the 'warnings":yup:

Just to clarify... those lawyers are NOT Fancy Pants. :tongue1:

I will be fine if I never see the WM ad.... LOL The only good thing about Wm is the fact that the sore is open and you can go in and mill around while they are bringing everything out, and in my experience of being there at midnite, the employees are more than willing to tell you what is behind each of the big black platic covered crates and pallets, they don't care and they are tired of it all. lol. That would be the only time the employees are nice. I am sure there are wonder WM's arouns, but the 3 in my area are horrible.

* I'm counting down the days till it's time to shop like a mad woman *:eyepoppin

I could care less about the WM ad, as I refuse to shop there for any reason whatsoever. For those wondering, WM does not want thier ad leaked in fears of what happened 2 years ago. Best Buy came out with a photocopied flyer a day or two before BF, and undercut most of WM's prices. However, last year best buy got out of pajama sales, and walmart was in the clear. they had that market cornered. and if i recall correctly, people were seeing those garth brooks sets for weeks after. i think its all silly, but it gets publicity for wm. you know the old saying, no publicity is bad publicity...

Maybe if Wal-Mart spent as much time policing their parking lots as they do the internet, my car would not have been stolen. :( They don't have anything cheap enough for me to shop there, especially considering the amount of money we've had to pay to recover and repair our car.

I could care less about the WM ad, as I refuse to shop there for any reason whatsoever. For those wondering, WM does not want thier ad leaked in fears of what happened 2 years ago. Best Buy came out with a photocopied flyer a day or two before BF, and undercut most of WM's prices. However, last year best buy got out of pajama sales, and walmart was in the clear. they had that market cornered. and if i recall correctly, people were seeing those garth brooks sets for weeks after. i think its all silly, but it gets publicity for wm. you know the old saying, no publicity is bad publicity...

And why is it wrong for anyone, including WM, to take the necessary actions to avoid losing money? You said it yourself, BB undercut Walmart, ergo WM lost MONEY. No matter how big or small your business is the point of a BUSINESS is to make money. Was it wrong of BB to undercut WM? No, they had the opportunity and they took it! Is it wrong of WM to take the lesson and learn from it? Again, no. Honestly, I get so tired of these "Walmart is evil", "I hate Walmart", "I NEVER shop at Walmart" lines. For the number of very vocal people who supposedly 'never' shop at WM they sure seem to do a good business! Does it suck that we can't see their ad a month in advance? Sure it does, but it is their business and their right to do what they want with it.

Maybe if Wal-Mart spent as much time policing their parking lots as they do the internet, my car would not have been stolen. :( They don't have anything cheap enough for me to shop there, especially considering the amount of money we've had to pay to recover and repair our car.

And if your car got stolen at the local bank, church, library or elementary school would it be their fault? Most retail establishments, public parking lots, and garages have disclaimers that they are not responsible for the cars or their contents. Why? Because they know that there are bad people out there. The scum of the earth who will take things from you anytime, anywhere. Now, if it was a WM employee who stole the car, took it apart, and resold it in the automotive section then that would be a different story :)

"I really don't know how Wal Mart can stay in business in areas with Meijer around. Even Target is better than Wal Mart."

Yeah! so what your saying is we should all stop talking about Wallys & target and shop our Meijer stores! right, that is what you are saying right! lmao

But seriously, a Meijer can open up across the street from walmart and seriously damage their bottom line if not make them a strong contender for the #1 loosing store company wide.... at least out here... we happen to have a very loyal customer base.

I am too weak to brave the walmarts, and if it weren't for price adjusting... I'd never shop at target either.

Stores should look at it from the perspective of: store xxx, undercut us by SSS $, but they ran out in 3 minutes.... the consumer will come here later to try to get our deal... we won't have it either because we already sold it too (at said higher price)... AND they will buy something else because they are already here.

And why is it wrong for anyone, including WM, to take the necessary actions to avoid losing money? You said it yourself, BB undercut Walmart, ergo WM lost MONEY. No matter how big or small your business is the point of a BUSINESS is to make money. Was it wrong of BB to undercut WM? No, they had the opportunity and they took it! Is it wrong of WM to take the lesson and learn from it? Again, no. Honestly, I get so tired of these "Walmart is evil", "I hate Walmart", "I NEVER shop at Walmart" lines. For the number of very vocal people who supposedly 'never' shop at WM they sure seem to do a good business! Does it suck that we can't see their ad a month in advance? Sure it does, but it is their business and their right to do what they want with it.

walmart did not lose money that year, They to had black and white sale papers that came out after the main ad to draw people in. So it was a fight between walmart and best buy to see who could undercut each other I believe that was the plan

Walmart was a great addition to our community. They brought in large selection of merchandise at very competitive prices. Their stores open early and stay open late -- some 24hours. Their instore pickup is excellent, and Walmart offers inexpensive prescriptions. They even let campers park their RVs in the lot overnight.

If I need something and don't have time to shop, I'm starting at Walmart -- they probably have it at a reasonable price. If I need food, a prescription, a money order, and some stuff, I'll stop at Walmart -- one stop/checkout shopping at fair prices.

That's just how it is. Walmart is a great retailer and we are lucky to have them impacting prices at retail.

That said, I never go there on BF. BF is the opposite of everything I like about Walmart. Their prices are not the best, their selection is not the best, and the likelihood of me getting a good deal on what I want is nil as hundreds line up for limited merchandise.

Big deal. Walmart is not good at BF.

Now that I can agree with. If they don't have the deals you are looking for why bother fighting the crowds? I don't like fighting the crowds myself. I will be going out for what is probably only the second or third time EVER for BF this year. I'm usually at home tracking down the online deals. That said, I need a new laptop so, unless I get one online, it looks like BF will be my best chance.

I think you misunderstood what I was saying. My reasons for not shopping at Wal-Mart have nothing whatsoever to do with Black Friday. Who was wrong in the situation I quoted? I don't know. All I was doing was EXPLAINING why WM is the way they are about thier ads. And i can assure you, I don't care who thinks otherwise, i do NOT shop there. I am sure plenty of people do, but please do not belittle me when I was simply trying to answer a question. And do not think you know anything about me. I do not shop at Wal-Mart because I believe they have a lot of very shady practices, and they are a big part of what's wrong with our country. That is my opinion, and that is all that matters. I have not stepped foot in a WM in about 4 years now. So please :P

I am practically forced to shop at Wal-Mart due to their prices and my location. I called the corporate offices in Bentonville when they decided to stop lay aways. They seem to pride themselves with community involvement, I suggested taking lay away..away was not good for our community...the area is economically challenged! They didnt want to hear it...told me there are other ways to pay..(credit card)..blah,blah,blah. What about the people that dont have that option! Ok..off rant..:gdangry4:

I am practically forced to shop at Wal-Mart due to their prices

That tickled my fancy! Probably a Walmart commercial in there someplace.

I suggested taking lay away..away was not good for our community...the area is economically challenged! They didnt want to hear it...told me there are other ways to pay..(credit card)..blah,blah,blah.

Lay away should be a winner for the retailer. They just need rules to minimize abuse. Would you use layaway if...

1) your merchandise could only be picked up at a certain time (i.e., two weeks before xmas)

2) you had to make a significant down payment (20%)

3) failure to make a payment resulted in forfeiture of accrued payments

4) layaway items were not eligible for price match (no return/rebuy)

5) cancellation resulted in restocking fee (i.e., 20%)

I worked in a department store when I was in school. We had layaway and half the stock room was filled with layaway merchandise. The merchandise continuously lost value as each time an item went on sale, it lost value. Much of the merchandise ended up back on the shelves as Christmas approached because shoppers abandoned their claims.

That tickled my fancy! Probably a Walmart commercial in there someplace.

Lay away should be a winner for the retailer. They just need rules to minimize abuse. Would you use layaway if...

1) your merchandise could only be picked up at a certain time (i.e., two weeks before xmas)

2) you had to make a significant down payment (20%)

3) failure to make a payment resulted in forfeiture of accrued payments

4) layaway items were not eligible for price match (no return/rebuy)

5) cancellation resulted in restocking fee (i.e., 20%)

I worked in a department store when I was in school. We had layaway and half the stock room was filled with layaway merchandise. The merchandise continuously lost value as each time an item went on sale, it lost value. Much of the merchandise ended up back on the shelves as Christmas approached because shoppers abandoned their claims.

I would agree wth all but 4 & 5 But then again I never cancelled a layaway. But I have always pricematched items in mine