Moochers - Power of the cell phone

Lanhawk

Hey All,

As we wait until that famous dayto arrive, I was wondering about this. Each Thanksgiving as our family gathers and eats, a lot of the people make jokes about those few (me) that hit the stores early and fight with the crowds. Yet like clock work, as i wait in line, you can also guarantee that a couple of those jokers will call me on my cell phone and ask to pick something up, if its available. Do you get these calls and do you pick up items for them? In line over half of the people are yaking on cell phones.:gdparanoid:

I can admit that several co-workers and family members raise an eyebrow when I tell them that my wife and I will be out in line on BF. From time to time, my wife will call me if I am at another store to check up on me or if she needs me to get something. But there have been a few instances where my mother or sister will call me to grab a doorbuster if they haven't sold out.

No that really doesn't happen with us. My mom, sister and I that go out on BF and we don't really advertise it and frankly I don't even think some of my relatives know what BF is and our friends are usually out there as well or don't really care. Oh well its there loss and more for us!

nobody usually calls me to pick up things while i am out on BF. but i have been known to call a friend of mine who shops in a town over if i wasn't able to get a particular item. usually i am on the phone with my friends who i am actually out with. we do a divide and conquer sort of thing and we stay on the phone until we meet back at the checkout. for example, 1 person will sit there and read of the dvd titles while the other 2 go get everything else.

On my DH's side we pick names to exchange Christmas gifts. We do this on Thanksgiving when everyone is together. Someone had that days paper with all the ads for BF and the person who I had to shop for picked all Doorbusters for ideas of what they would want thinking they would get more presents out of it since it's cheaper. :eyepoppin OMG I handed her list back and said I only shop BF for my kids and DH. If I happen to see something that someone else would want I try and grab it but to have an entire list from different stores from her just shocked me.

My cousin, mom, aunts and kids may call me and I might call them. However, they are in line somewhere else and looking through the ads for the 100th time as they wait. If they see something they forgot to put on my list for the store I am going to first they will call. We get what we can off the list, but nothing is definite.

I don't usually get calls, if a friend or family member wants something I know in advance. If possible, I will get it for them, but not at the risk of missing a door buster for myself. Basically, if it's easy, I'll do it, but if it detracts from MY shopping, probably not.

No one has ever called me and asked to grab something while I have been BF shopping in the past.

However, if they were too, and as long as it wasn't one of the very limited high end items, and I could get it, i would. I would hope that person would do the same for me.

I don't usually get calls, if a friend or family member wants something I know in advance. If possible, I will get it for them, but not at the risk of missing a door buster for myself. Basically, if it's easy, I'll do it, but if it detracts from MY shopping, probably not.

I help every one family friends and even strangers.

My brothers who are in Orlando for the holiday and I will talk on the phone and trade items that we need and my other brother will check his stores also if we need him. Sometimes things that are hard to get in Jacksonville will be plentiful in Orlando and vice versa. Most of my other relatives/friends wouldn't be up to call me on BF....

Once my wife's sister was interested in a doorbuster laptop or desktop that BB had. Told her she'd have to go in line as soon as Thanksgiving dinner was over (which was what I was doing). Couldn't just get it for her, as I was going for the same thing (limit one per person and all that). Of course, she tries going out the next day at a decent hour and is amazed that she couldn't find any of the doorbusters.

I'm of the opinion that if they want it that bad, they can wait in line with us. I'll use any excuse to not do their shopping for them (i.e. we're already getting the item for ourselves, or can't just run over to Wal-Mart since we'll be in line for an hour or two at BB, etc.). If they'd be willing to stand in line and help us out, then I'd be happy to help them out.

I'm always talking about BF & GD so my sister and aunt always want to know what's in the ads as soon as I do and usually ask me and my mom to pick items up for them from the stores we are going to and my aunt usually goes to different stores than us and we'll ask her to get something if it's from a store she's going too.

Once my wife's sister was interested in a doorbuster laptop or desktop that BB had. Told her she'd have to go in line as soon as Thanksgiving dinner was over (which was what I was doing). Couldn't just get it for her, as I was going for the same thing (limit one per person and all that). Of course, she tries going out the next day at a decent hour and is amazed that she couldn't find any of the doorbusters.

I'm of the opinion that if they want it that bad, they can wait in line with us. I'll use any excuse to not do their shopping for them (i.e. we're already getting the item for ourselves, or can't just run over to Wal-Mart since we'll be in line for an hour or two at BB, etc.). If they'd be willing to stand in line and help us out, then I'd be happy to help them out.

I agree:g_clap: I have a co- worker that every year asks me to pick up things for her, not because she has to work, not because she hasn't the cash at that time, but because SHE DOESN'T WANT TO WAIT IN THE COLD!!!!

Guess what neither do I! But if it means I save the money then I will put the effort in and I am appalled that she thinks I am her personal shopper in 26 degree weather while she is all snug in her bed! ummmm.......NO WAY!:no: You want the deal BUNDLE UP...

CUZ BABY IT'S COLD OUTSIDE:singer:

I'm not picking up anything for anybody that can't be bothered to go out and wait in line. Especially not if they make fun of me. Now the only exception would be if one of my grandmas asked for somthing - which they never have before - but I would do that.

When I'm on my cell phone on BF it's usually to find my cousin and see where the heck she is. Or if we have temporarily split up to hit different stores we may grab something for one another, not big items, but hey if you happen to see it can you grab it type of items.

No one has ever asked me to pick up anything. My mom will watch the kids for us while we go shopping that day. Last year I saw this really cute peace necklace in the sears ad. I knew my sis would love it and I told my mom about it and she decided to get it for my sis for xmas. So of course I picked it up cause I had to go to sears too and my mom was home watching our kids. It was the least I could do. But no one ever asks me to pick up anything for them and I probably wouldn't do it unless they gave me money before hand and if it was a store I was already going to. My aunt and cousin go out on BF too. We saw them at a store last year. Other than that I don't think anyone else in my family even cares about going BF shopping. They probably don't even look through the ads so they don't know what's on sale!!

My general rule is if you just don't want to get you're lazy butt out of bed then I'm not doing you're shopping for you. But we will divide up and help each other within our group such as one person will go to Target and get hot items while another person goes to Sears so we can be in two places at once.

DOWN WITHTHE MOOCHERS ! Now if a friend is willing to camp in line with me, then I am more then willing to co-op as a team to help maximize our potential to get everything we both want. But if someone calls my phone 20 minutes before the doors open after I sat out in the wind and snow on a concrete sidewalk for 16+hours and asks me to buy somethign for them , then they can kiss my @ss.

I haven't had someone do that to me yet. I do think the cell phone is a great addition to my BF attack. My BF and I always go shopping but sometimes we separate in the store so she can hit the good stuff on one end and I'll get the other. Then we can call each other with details or to find each other amongst the 10,000 other people in the store!

I just talked to the ultimate mooch yesterday. I called my sister to tell her that I will be in physical therapy for the whole month of October. Her response? "Oh GOOD!!!! Does that mean you will get handicapped parking again for Christmas shopping? And let me know what the good deals are this year so I can give you my list for the day after Thanksgiving."

Not only can she not buy the newspaper to get the ads, or do her own shopping, or park in a normal parking spot, but she can't even call it Black Friday! And the last time I did her shopping for her, she didn't pay for the sales tax. So NO! I told her I was shopping online this year. She can chew me!

I just talked to the ultimate mooch yesterday. I called my sister to tell her that I will be in physical therapy for the whole month of October. Her response? "Oh GOOD!!!! Does that mean you will get handicapped parking again for Christmas shopping? And let me know what the good deals are this year so I can give you my list for the day after Thanksgiving."

Not only can she not buy the newspaper to get the ads, or do her own shopping, or park in a normal parking spot, but she can't even call it Black Friday! And the last time I did her shopping for her, she didn't pay for the sales tax. So NO! I told her I was shopping online this year. She can chew me!

That's bad. Even if she was my sister I would tell her to get her butt up and go with me. I can't believe she said let me know what the good deals are so I can give you my list!! :eyepoppin It would be different if you offered but I hate the fact people assume you will get stuff for them just cause you are going. Maybe 1 thing but a freakin list?!?! There are so many people and so much going on I couldn't imagine managing a list for my sister and my list too!!

I do someo f the shopping for my sis and my parents. My sis has 4 kids and lives on a farm over an hour from any larger town so she is a little more limited. They drive 30 min. to a small wm to try to get stuff, but the smaler stores really don't get as much. So we do a lot of phone calling that morning to check on each others' purchases and they look for stuff for me too. We do a a lot of swapping throughout the year, so I don't mind this. My parents are getting older and this isn't a fun thing for them, so I usually have them go through the ads and I get what I can.

And as for being on a cell phone - i get bored and cold and it helps to keep me awake.

I usually don't get that I make my fiance tell me what he wants while he stays at home with the kids and I always bring a friend since everytime I've been prego it always fell over BF (never that far though) so he gets to stay warm and cozy at my expense lol but I do it for my mom too since she's security at a mall and can't get out but she hits the mall stores for me so I don't have to venture there on my already busy day but I refuse to shop for someone unless they're at another store out with me or have to work. If I can wait so can you and if you can't too bad not my problem pay full price.

I have picked up things for my mom but thats becasue she always get stuck working this year she gets to go (not sure how she will handle it..lol..) and I always pick up items for whom ever is watching my children I think thats only fair..as far as getting phone calls the only time that I get a phone call is when I can't find the other people that are with me or they can't find me..