Share your suggestions for improving BF & win a BF t-shirt - CONTEST OVER!

Brad

Another contest with your chance to win a limited edition Black Friday @ GottaDeal.com t-shirt :D

Reply to this thread with your suggestions for what the retailers can do to improve your Black Friday experience. Whether it relates to the actual ads, store policies, customer service, legal threats or anything else, let them know what they can do to change things for the better. I'm sure a few of them might end up reading this thread during the next few months and so it could end up helping in some small way.

On Friday morning at 11am ET, I'll randomly select 2 members who reply with their suggestions and they'll each win a Black Friday t-shirt!

I believe more retailers should do the ticket system. It cuts down on the "craziness" as well as makes it a lot easier and more organized. I also think some of the larger retailers that move items around should give us a map so we know where we are running to. lol. Lastly, and this is a big one... MORE CHECKOUT LINES!! Please Please Please!!! It makes sense!

As of right now, the only store that comes to mind would be toys r us...i tried going there last year and by the time i got inside the line was all over the store and you couldnt move around the line to look at things because there just wasnt enough room for the people and overloaded baskets....i think they should limit the amount of people inside.

I think it would help if the retailers would print the price matching policy for the store on the front cover of their Black Friday ad, and not just leave it up to the managers. This would help to keep things consitent. When an employee or a customer does not know the policy it would be a simple thing to show them the ad instead of waiting for the manager to be called.

Best Buy does this pretty well, but I think that stores should print in their ad if they have a limited number of "sale" items on hand and then print the actual number that will be available.

With as far in advance as the ads are printed, sometimes it becomes nearly impossible to guarantee a certain number of items. Even with BB we've had reports of stores not having as many of certain items as listed (or even none at all).

BTW everyone, feel free to use this thread as a regular discussion thread. Feel free to reply to others comments, etc... it won't screw up the contest or anything. No need to just post your one post and then leave :)

I do have quite a few suggestions for retailers that would really make it more enjoyable. In order of importance:

1.) Wake up calls! Target used to do them, and I would always sign up for one.

2.) Posting how many will be at each store. That gives you an idea of when you need to get there, and what place you need to be in line to have a chance.

3.) Stop ticket scalping. After you pay the price of the ticket, the computer has just gone up in price to the point where it isn't even worth the cost.

4.) More stock. This allows people to come a few hours later and still get what they need.

5.) Food. Bring out a few food items and such for people waiting to eat off of.

6.) Crowd control, get more people there to watch over people and ensure that there is no cutting.

7.) Actually have copies of the ads outside of the stores.

8.) Finally, my biggest compliant: ticketing. Other stores should really adopt it.

If it is cold in your area, put out a few heaters, serve some hot apple cider, coffee and hot chocolate, I mean it isn't gonna break ya!

Also, if you know there is only 10 of something and its a hot, hot item, pass out raffle tickets to anyone in line that showed up to get one, at least this way everyone has a chance. This is great for anyone that is not in the front of the line, thus it will cut down on all the crazies, trying to run one another over in order to get there first to get it.

Further more liven up the store a bit by having some sort of random give a ways. For example, announce that the 10th person in line at register 5 is a winner of a what ever it is or perhaps, the first person standing in next to a certain item in the store wearing a certain color gets whatever. This would make people stick around a bit longer and shop, if they know they can win a little something extra and that means more money spent at your store!

As for what to give away, well it could be a roll of wrapping paper, ribbons, a cd of Christmas music, a Christmas movie, etc....

Definitely everyone should do tickets... there is nothing worse than to wait in line all night and have the crazies bum rush the door and get in the way.

I think they should also have at least 2 employees stand out front when the doors open and call out those people who wait (out of line) near the door and bum rush.

When they have 10 of those large items (like computers or something) they should have them in baskets ready to go so you don't have to fight to push one through the store to get there.

Maps of where all your BF items are located posted out front... (I hate looking for stuff in Walmart).

Limit Door Busters to one per person (I know I'll get flak for this one, but I have 3 kids and often need more than one of whatever I'm getting, but if so i'll get a friend to go with me). I was #1 in line at TRU for the Zune's and they had 3, the person behind me took 2 so the person who was #3 waited all night and got zilch. Plus at other TRU's where they had more one guy took them all (presumably to sell on line) that would suck!!

1. Have store employees or security outside to make sure everyone goes thru the door single file . (I have waited in line for a door prize and been one of the elgible persons in line , only when they unlocked the door everyone pushes , shoves and crowds until the people who should have gotten in first is left out)

2. Have what is advertised in stock !!

3. Have more store clerks on hand to help you find what you are looking for

4. Have ALL cash registers in the store open and running

5. Have Midday specials so if you miss the early bird specials you still have a chance for specials at midday (sometimes it is hard to get there for early specials before they run out of them)

Maybe you could link a couple of chat rooms/IM rooms for us to log on to by region so we can instantly update others in our areas rather quickly while out and about on BF. There's not many from NC registered, but I have met several over the years that monitor GD forums. I know last year several stores in our area opened their doors early and had secret doorbusters, only learned about them after my associate shoppers IM'd me as they were standing in line.

They should offer a ticket system for any item that has limited stock, they should also put the early bird items towards the front of the store or in an easy to find location, and they should price match other stores prices on bonus buy/early bird promotions. (only if it is the same time, same item etc.)

Coffee and donuts would be nice as well. :)

I do have quite a few suggestions for retailers that would really make it more enjoyable. In order of importance:

1.) Wake up calls! Target used to do them, and I would always sign up for one.

2.) Posting how many will be at each store. That gives you an idea of when you need to get there, and what place you need to be in line to have a chance.

3.) Stop ticket scalping. After you pay the price of the ticket, the computer has just gone up in price to the point where it isn't even worth the cost.

4.) More stock. This allows people to come a few hours later and still get what they need.

5.) Food. Bring out a few food items and such for people waiting to eat off of.

6.) Crowd control, get more people there to watch over people and ensure that there is no cutting.

7.) Actually have copies of the ads outside of the stores.

8.) Finally, my biggest compliant: ticketing. Other stores should really adopt it.

Wow... you hit the nail on the head with these! I think More stock would be A W E S O M E!!!

I think that it would be nice if stores worked on creating a positive atmosphere for the shoppers when they know that they will be staying in the parking lot all night. It would be nice if they brought out snacks, or had random contests for gift cards (even if it were just a series of $5 or $10 cards). Heck, they could invite a local radio station to have an all-nighter with the shoppers and give t-shirts and cds away. Most importantly, they could try and have some type of security presence. I have been the first person in line at Best Buy twice and would not feel comfortable with my wife being out their alone all night.

As for actual sales - why don't some stores (especially locals and those that that don't sell McTV's with a side of surround sound) have afternoon sales. I get the premise that you spend most of your money at the first place you go, and burnout is a factor. I just can't believe that My Little Lima Bean Is Cuter Than Yours Children's Clothes, Inc. or Rambo Schwartzeneger's Store for Manly Men actually compete much for the 5-11 a.m. business. Where I live we have a plethera of strip malls that could advertise an afternoon shopapalooza to draw folks over after they have had lunch.

Next, if you are going to advertise something at a discount, just sell it for a discount. A $50 mail-in-rebate that takes 8 months and 14 angry phone calls to get just doesn't seem like it is worth it. I understand the dollars and sense rationale that many/most won't bother with complying with the mail-in requirements. Heck, many don't even try. However, it seems odd that companies spend billions of dollars branding themselves and earning customer's trust to just throw it away because your self addressed stamped envelope was mustard yellow instead of the canary yellow that the fine print called for. If your statistics show that only 50% of people follow through with the rebate, then please just mark it down $25 and be done with it.

Have more online sales. I'd rather order from home than deal with the madness.

going along with that, i know some stores try to do this, but it would be nice if in the ad they denote which items will (or at least they plan to have them) be offered online.

Stores like Walmart should put the bigger items like tvs up front so you don't have to try to push a cart through the store to get it to the checkout. I know a lot of people use carts anyway especially if you are getting a lot of items, but if you put a tv in your cart, it is nearly impossible to see over it to push it through the store :eek: It would be much easier if they just had them at the front of the store.

Another thing that would be nice would be for stores to have wi-fi available. I know a lot of you in larger cities can get it around town but for those of us in small towns, there isn't any available and it would be nice to be able to get online and check out gottadeal to see where the deas are being found ;)

Edited by guilliam

Stores should universally adopt more BF policies as BF is getting bigger and bigger every year

1. Ticket systems for items. Cuts down on the craziness

2. Have everything stocked and clearly displayed on BF. I hate when an item should be in one department and they put in another... Then when you FINALLY find out where it is, its out as they didn't get a lot in stock (personal experience. LOL)

3. Have plenty of employees on duty that day with the WHOLE store employees knowing where items are at.... policies.... and cashiers ready to go.

4. Maps of stores help. For the last 2 years, my Walmart passed out maps as you came into the store. Helped so much in locating where things are.

5. Have big sales the whole week up to BF. One day of craziness is crazy. I would love to see great BF sales on the days leading up. Online and/or in store. This saves me the headache of going out a lone and trying to figure out how Im going to get the 5-10 items I need before they sell out!

Here are a few suggestions:

1) Wake Up Calls For Each Store That You Will Be Shopping At On Black Friday, So The Store Guarantee's You Will Shop At Theres

2) INCENTIVES :For You To Come Back Each Year To The Retailers Store You Shop At Like A TRACKING CARD in Store Card So They Give You A Incentive For You To Actually Come Back.

3) Another Incentive For REPEAT Black Friday Customers For the Same Stores Each Year Maybe Give Us A Preview Of What MIGHT or MIGHT Not Be On The List .

4) Price Matching At ANY STORE For ANY STORE , If Your Store Has It And You Want It To Be SOLD, Price Match It As Long As The Customer HAS The Circular For The Store The Item Is On Sale .

I would like to see them make sure there is plenty of "moving around" room in the store. One Target store that I BF shop does this. They move out unneccessary junk and it makes it easier to manuever and less chaotic. I think serving coffee or cider to the waiting crowd would be a great gesture as well. The stores that do not have a sales associate stationed in each main area (toys, electronics, etc) should. Quicker we can find the items and have questions answered the faster we will be out of their hair. That's my 2 cents!

:yup:

A few suggestions for improving BF.

1. All stores have a ticket system.

2. I would like to see stores to have more of the big doorbusters in stock so everyone has a chance to get one. no more of this only 5 in stock like for example walmart has done in the past.

3. Have one line going to one entrance only and have extra security on hand to prevent the people who show a minute before opening from rushing the door.

4. Have some of the Big Doorbusters ie: computers, tv's available online especially for the people who live far from the stores and don't want to spend all the BF money they had on GAS just to get to the stores and back.

yes i agree...stores need to bring back the LAYAWAY system...especially with the economny the way it is now...wow!!...uhm most people wont even be able to get a credit card now...

most of the stores i go to have all registers open...so if u arent a store that hasnt...get on the ball...u only need all the registers for a few hours...unless ur best buy or circuit city...lol

our walmart has maps also for most of the bigger items/doorbuster items...this is a GREAT thing!!...

think more stores need to price match....love walmart just for this...especially for the smaller items that are show picture get the price...i understand the bigger items and not price matching...but they need to price match...it would get more ppl in ur store and more sales ( was very disappointed in Meijers last year for not price matching that day...so they didnt get any of my business that weekend)

ticket system is very awesome idea too...i know best buy does this...but all stores should do this to all items that they only have very very limited available...

i actually like the items scattered around the store in various departments...because uu have a better chance of getting an item ( like the non-map ones of course)....plus this can help with more sales of non bf items as people are in territory that they probably havent been to and see something for gifts or something

online sales!!!...i loved best buy for doing some of their items the day before...saved me a lot of hassle at the sotres and could do that in my pjs!!...and go to kmart/meijers on thanksgiving too...i love thanksgiving sales!...lol...ok

i also agree that they should have multiple sales through out the day

even having mystery sales in the store...like announce that hotwheels cars are 49cents right now ( 5 til 9am)...somethign like that...non-advertsised in the flyer but a couple items that may be wirth getting

i love the idea of contests ..but instead of at the register...how about the line waiting to get in if u are waiting outside...( i have been finding myself going to a 24 hour walmart thats open...and getting my pricematching items and what i can find on sale throughout the store like around midnight...gives me plenty of tiem to scope the store to see where the items will be like the awesome priced dvds/cds...etc)...but if i were to be waiting for 5-6 hours or more outside the store should give out like 10 coupon off 100 purchase or even a 10 gift card ( or more, etc) outright or something to like the first person in line of course, and random pick or whatever. i know some stores do give their first group of customers a giftcard, but more stores need something to bring people in; even store giveaways in the store..they could give everyone a raffle ticket that enters the store..and at a certain time raffle an item off ( either to pay for or to be given away)

i think the stores need even deeper pricing on items...lol..walmart to name an aexample sucked overall...( hence me pricematching...)

i think it would be great if all employees dressed up as eleves or something to destinguish who are employees and who isnt to help with ur cause...lol...something that would tell ppl that hey i work here...(sucks for that employee, but i think it would help them out tremendously at the same time...

stores need to open earlier...lol...yep i said it earlier...some stores are jumping opn it...but need the bigger stores to do that...24 hour sales...midnight thru 23:59...(well also the doorbuster time frame of course...but having a full 24 hours devoted to this day...nice!

having black bags or bigger darker bags...so u can hide things easier

i also agree with tthe security...1)outside, 2) line control...have a way to let the ppl that were waiting for hours/days to get in first than someone that just pulls up at 559, and walks, well gallop up to the door as they are opening and squeeze in and they are in...I HATE ppl that do that..and if i see them in the store i dont help them one bit..sorry i know thats mean..but its about rightness/fairness...etc...

ok..im sure i can add more at a later time...this is driving we wild...I LOVE LOVE BLACK FRIDAY...and i try to plan better and better each year..

and it wouldnt be as great if it werent for this site...another way for the stores to improve their BF...EMBRACE THIS SITE STORES!!!! u have a market willing to shop your store if u are advertised on here, or allow ur leaked ad to remain on here..or just give it to us a week or so earlier ( if u dont want it out for a long period of time...)...U HAVE NOTHING NOTHING TO LOSE! everythign to gain...LISTEN to us...:) ( and if it is leaked or given to us...and it snot up to par..u can easily print out a double sided sheet for all ur stores to do and better ur ad/s!!!

ok i am done for now...i hope this helps brad...:)