Before Black Friday Deals

len_mullen

Are you finding BF deals in September?  

51 members have voted

1. 1. Are you finding BF deals in September?

• I'm finding great deals already (please post details)
    • Current deals will pale next to BF

Every year, while shopping and researching my BF wish list, I come across one or two deals that are too good to pass up. These things go into the closet until after BF when I can choose to return or keep depending on my success.

This year I have made two purchases that I doubt will be surpassed on BF. If they are, we are in for an AWESOME holiday season.

Are you finding BF deals already? Are you jumping on them? So far (it's only September) I've purchased a PS3 for $250 from sonystyle.com after $150 credit card promotion, had a Panasonic Lumix TZ5 shipped from Dell.com for $170, and grabbed a Samsung PN50A450 50" 720p plasma hdtv plus a Samsung - 1200W 5.1-Ch. XM-Ready Home Theater System with Upconvert DVD Player (Model: HT-TZ512) for $978.

These seem to approach BF discounts to me. Am I jumping the gun? Are you?

Edited by bigjimslade
making title of thread more coherent

Every year, while shopping and researching my BF wish list, I come across one or two deals that are too good to pass up. These things go into the closet until after BF when I can choose to return or keep depending on my success.

This year I have made two purchases that I doubt will be surpassed on BF. If they are, we are in for an AWESOME holiday season.

Are you finding BF deals already? Are you jumping on them? So far (it's only September) I've purchased a PS3 for $250 from sonystyle.com after $150 credit card promotion, had a Panasonic Lumix TZ5 shipped from Dell.com for $170, and grabbed a Samsung PN50A450 50" 720p plasma hdtv plus a Samsung - 1200W 5.1-Ch. XM-Ready Home Theater System with Upconvert DVD Player (Model: HT-TZ512) for $978.

Yes, you can often find better deals throughout the year than on BF. There are still reasons to shop on BF though.

#1. The atmosphere. I love finding any excuse to camp out in front of a store for days at a time.

#2. You can spend a lot of time hunting for deals throughout the year. You'll find a laptop here, a desktop PC there, a couple months later you'll find a good deal on a tv, etc. Or you can go on BF and get a good deal on everything in one fell swoop. Maybe not the absolute best deal, but a really good deal nonetheless.

#3. If you time it right, you can get all of your holiday shopping done within five hours or less on BF. Have a game plan, run in, get your stuff, run out and hit the next store. If you intend to get some big ticket items (like whatever uber-cheap PCs best buy has this year), you'll need to add in time to camp out, but otherwise you can get most everything you need in just a few hours time.

#4. A lot of times, prices on certain electronic items are slashed just before or right at BF, in time for the holiday rush. For example, this year I think that LCD TVs are going to have drastic price cuts, especially lower end models that are being phased out (720p is plenty for me). Prices already seem to be falling, several great deals can be had now. I think the deals will get even better the closer to BF we get.

you were one of the lucky ones with that camera. damn when i tried the deal was dead.

the tv is fine but if you want 720 p. if you want 1080 p then its best to keep waiting like i am

you were one of the lucky ones with that camera. damn when i tried the deal was dead.

the tv is fine but if you want 720 p. if you want 1080 p then its best to keep waiting like i am

I think the $250 PS3 was the door buster of the bunch. I don't see that happening. It's tough to find a blu-ray player for that. The camera is a good camera at a great price, but that's the kind of thing I expect on BF.

I think the TV will be topped price wise and spec wise on BF, but I've been shopping and within price bands and spec ranges, there is, IMHO, significant variation in picture quality. To me, plasma looks much better than lcd and 1080p does not look much better than 720p. Among the sets I was excited about, this was available at an amazing discount (I really wanted the ht too).

I like BF and will still be out there, but I won't worry about lines -- I'll just be grabbing disk drives and LCDs at Staples.

I'd simply urge people to be alert to BBF deals as the Big Boxers try to move merchandise earlier and earlier.

• 2 weeks later...

In the "what are you looking for this year" thread, I posted that I was hoping for Star Wars Force Action Lightsabers to be on sale, my brother and nephew want one.

Well, Walmart.com has them on sale for $15 right now, so I ordered them!

I really wanted to wait for some ads to come out in case they're on sale, but I've never seen them priced this low. They were even higher on Black Friday last year, so I feel like I just got a good deal! Had to jump on it. :D

I know 2 little boys that will be very happy. :yup:

I shop for bargins whenever - mostly due to this site now. I just used some online codes in addition to some clearance pricing for Talbots and it was a great deal. I love Target end cap deals, got a great blender last month for $24. I just think it's a matter of keeping your eyes open and not getting into the habit of buying because it's on sale either. I also love Ollies for stuff, if you have one locally check it out. They rotate stock often so you have to go often to check up. Christmas wrap is a steal. I did really well on some expensive board games over the end of summer last year and put them away for Christmas. This year I think every little bit is going to help even more than in years past.