Economy + Black Friday = ??

wx4svr

How are you being affected by these economic hard times? (Choose all that apply)  

205 members have voted

1. 1. How are you being affected by these economic hard times? (Choose all that apply)

• I'm not going as far to shop due to gas prices.
    • I'm spending less this year.
    • Who cares!! IT'S CHRISTMAS!!
    • All of the above.

I am spending less with the economy and my older kids have all the electronics. I have already started and bought wii games and some accessories and new Sony alarm clocks for there Walkmans

You know... I've been seeing that a lot. People started earlier this year so they don't get a HUGE hit right before Christmas. I guess they are just spreading out their spending so they don't get overwhelmed all at once. Thats good in my opinion! People are actually thinking!! lol. =)

We will be spending less and going to as many stores as we had in the past. Going to focus on a few select stores that have most of what we want. I already have a lot of shopping done. Found great deals on gifts through out the year so I will not have to buy as much on BF. Trying to keep spending under budget. I am going to try to order some of the stuff on line instead of driving. Walmart is the only store close by me, others are 25-45 minutes away and in all different directions.

• 2 weeks later...

I've actually spent less this year as I've found super deals at different stores. Especially Target clearances.. Flip camcorder for $44 down from $150, Using mypoints rewards I got both my kid's DS systems for $85 (thats for the red and pink). Gotta love surveys and online shopping points.

Also amazon.com has had amazing deals.

I'm actually spending a lot more this year kids are getting bigger and need/want bigger gifts plus I added another little one to the list as well as the whole family has gotten bigger and since I have the extra money this year I plan on getting started on birthdays to save a little from March to August (our birthdays are all in order and a new little one is coming in April) plus I have a baby shower to shop for last year I only spent about $400 this year I'm spending about $1300 the kids want quads and they're $400 each

The ideal economic situation for buyers who have money would be a sudden loss of demand AFTER merchandise is on the shelf. I think retailers have been managing expectations for awhile, so I don't expect that there is too much merchandise sitting in warehouses.

I don't expect people to spend significantly less this year -- despite postings here. I don't know anyone who is unemployed, oil and gas prices are coming down, and there are some great deals (already) on terrific gifts. The bailout should have a positive impact as it provides money to subsidize conversion of ARMs to affordable fixed rate mortgages -- count on people to take money out of these. Also, the apparent impending recession has dampened interest rates.

My expectation is that the good merchandise will go early at great prices and that the rest will go later at great prices, but that there will be no fire sale relative to where we are right now.

Last year, just before Christmas, I was shopping for bargains. There were *very* few to be found. Made me think the retailers are doing a better job of managing inventory.

Relative to where we are is the key. There are already plenty of deals out there. If you are shopping for Sony products that don't go on sale (i.e., PS3), Sony has been running $150 off $300 and $100 off $300 sony card promotions all year (I got a PS3 for the price of a WII). Bestbuy has had some great TV deals. Dell has put a lot of coupons out. Computers and computer components (especially disks and LCDs which are a staple of BF ads) are very cheap. GPS units are on sale every week.

So make your list, check it twice, and watch for bargains as you prepare for BF. Grab what you see, but keep the receipts handy for price match/return opportunities (another reason why BF prices won't make current prices pale).

I will probably be spending less. I think the whole family will be - all the kids are older and are learning lessons of few but better quality gifts. I also think I will be cautious on BF about spending. I think that deals may get better closer to Christmas as retailers feel the crunch of the holiday spending slump.

my kids are older and want more electonics. I don't waste my time waiting to get a couple of pennies off those things.

I shop for fun on BF. We don't buy gifts for family- just money. So it's just fun household shopping for me. And I may spend less this year as we have more expenses lately.