Selling tickets for Black Friday items while in line

josetann

OK, I have a question. How many tickets are you talking about? I mean, do you stand in line for 24 hours, for 1 ticket, and sell it for $50.00? Or do you get 5-10 tickets and sell them for $50.00 ea? If you got 1 ticket, I can see where selling it would be okay but if you got several with the intent of turning around and selling them, aren't you screwing the other shoppers? You've become the doorbuster at that point - right? Or am I looking at this wrong?

I've only shopped BB one year - and I got what I wanted, and the sales people were great. So, do they generally have a limit on the # of tickets you can get? (And I'm talking for 1 specific item)

I am actually going to be in line for over 30 hours. I am going to grab 1 ticket per item, which is the limit. I will probably buy about 3 of those items for myself. I am looking for a 42-46" hdtv, and maybe some cheap computer components. I will sell the other tickets I don't use. I can see how this might anger other people, but the way I see it, they are buying the time from me that they weren't willing to spend in line.

I am actually going to be in line for over 30 hours. I am going to grab 1 ticket per item, which is the limit. I will probably buy about 3 of those items for myself. I am looking for a 42-46" hdtv, and maybe some cheap computer components. I will sell the other tickets I don't use. I can see how this might anger other people, but the way I see it, they are buying the time from me that they weren't willing to spend in line.

I think is not fair for people near behind you. They arrived only minutes behind you and they are losing one opportunity because you want to do business....

Remember, this can happen to you....

Just my point of view...

I think is not fair for people near behind you. They arrived only minutes behind you and they are losing one opportunity because you want to do business....

Just my point of view...

Have you ever line up for black friday over 30 hours in advance? That early, people dont arrive every few minutes. They arrive every few hours until thursday night, when they trickle in constantly. I will probably be first in line wednesday night, and the people 30 or so back, when the tickets start to run out, will probably have arrived hours later.

Yes I have and when I did I had about 100 people behind me 3 hours later. BF line form very early.

Have you ever line up for black friday over 30 hours in advance? That early, people dont arrive every few minutes. They arrive every few hours until thursday night, when they trickle in constantly. I will probably be first in line wednesday night, and the people 30 or so back, when the tickets start to run out, will probably have arrived hours later.

Just my point of view...

This is why I do it the way I do. Only get tickets for items I plan on purchasing. If someone wants to buy the ticket from me, so be it. But I'm not getting tickets for the sole purpose of selling them. I'll probably get between 2-4 tickets total (cheap desktop, laptop, maybe tv, and whatever else grabs my eye). I won't be grabbing a ticket for every item.

Of course, I see how it could be hard for someone else to see that. Someone behind me in line just sees someone getting some tickets then selling a couple. Might just take a page out of a previous BF; if someone behind me is selling tickets, offer to let them sell mine and split the money. I'm really not a good salesperson.

It is wrong, and probably illegal in most cases, but I understand the temptation. The stores should ask that people write their name on the form in ink when handed the form and show an ID when completing the purchase to prevent this.

How is it wrong? If a person is willing to give up their time, Thanksgiving, endure the weather, lack of bathrooms, etc.... in order to make a few bucks I don't see what the problem is. Everyone has the opportunity to sell tickets, but just because you and most other people aren't willing to camp out for 36 hours doesn't make it wrong..........

If the stores really wanted to fix the problem, they'd actually have more then 20 or 30 of each ticket item in the store. :yup:

How is it wrong? If a person is willing to give up their time, Thanksgiving, endure the weather, lack of bathrooms, etc.... in order to make a few bucks I don't see what the problem is. Everyone has the opportunity to sell tickets, but just because you and most other people aren't willing to camp out for 36 hours doesn't make it wrong..........

If the stores really wanted to fix the problem, they'd actually have more then 20 or 30 of each ticket item in the store. :yup:

Amen brother!

It is wrong because someone just a few steps behind you in line has waited almost as long as you and actually wants that item, and is therefore entitled to get it from the store without paying you a markup, or losing it to someone else who is willing to pay you. The fact that someone is "willing to give up there time, Thanksgiving, endure the weather, etc does not justify any action. Is someone willing to give up their Thanksgiving to break into a store and steal something entitled to do so because they were willing? Of course not--willingness has nothing to do with right and wrong, or legality. :no:

I may not wait 36 hours, and those who do wait that long deserve first option to buy something, but those of us who do wait a few hours do deserve our chance to get things without paying a markup to a scalper, if not bought by one of those in front of us (for their own use). :yup:

Have a nice holiday! :)

Edited by mcwalker

money money money. Even during holiday seasons.

If you are standing out and sleeping on concrete for the sole purpose of selling tickets for money...you probably need to get a better job.

Hopefully the people you anger won't see you and jump you. You've seen those BF videos how crazy people get over money......

anyways, it's a personal decision about ethics. If you think there is absolutely no shame or selfishness/greed, you may want to re-evaluate your morals as a human being. Money is just paper.

money money money. Even during holiday seasons.

If you are standing out and sleeping on concrete for the sole purpose of selling tickets for money...you probably need to get a better job.

Hopefully the people you anger won't see you and jump you. You've seen those BF videos how crazy people get over money......

anyways, it's a personal decision about ethics. If you think there is absolutely no shame or selfishness/greed, you may want to re-evaluate your morals as a human being. Money is just paper.

The MAIN reason I am going is to get a good deal on a(n?) HDTV. Selling tickets is a bonus. As for getting a better job, I am an 18 year old college student working 21 hours a week @ $7.86 and hour, on top of 15 credits. Job offers are pretty slim when your school enrolls over 46,000 students.

Because money is just paper, and so are the tickets I will take, I feel NO shame in trading one for another. :D

The MAIN reason I am going is to get a good deal on a(n?) HDTV. Selling tickets is a bonus. As for getting a better job, I am an 18 year old college student working 21 hours a week @ $7.86 and hour, on top of 15 credits. Job offers are pretty slim when your school enrolls over 46,000 students.

Because money is just paper, and so are the tickets I will take, I feel NO shame in trading one for another. :D

Imagine you take the last ticket for some item. The person behind you shows up 30 minutes after you , because she is taking 24 credit hours. You choose to sell (for money) her the ticket, although she has never made more than $6.40 per hour.

Clearly, making a quick buck at the expense of others doesn't phase you.

btw, that's me standing behind you. Please don't justify greed with some sob story about making above minimum wage and taking a mediocore class load.

There is tons of greed in this world. What do you have to say about the corporate greed that takes our hard earned money from us? What do you say about OPEC decreasing oil production because they don't like the drop in gas prices? Money might just be paper but we all need it to survive. The person in front of you got their earlier than you - period. If you want to make sure you get that item then be sure to get to the store earlier.

You may call it greed but others call it capitalism which is what this country is based on. Heck stores buy the items they are selling for pennies on the dollar for what they are selling them for - are you writing those companies about their "greed"? Probably not because they are providing you a service in obtaining those products for you to purchase at your convenience. Well that is what the people are doing by getting to the store early. Providing a service to someone who can pay for it.

FYI - I don't do it. I'm not interested in missing my turkey day to stand in line, however, if I wanted an item bad enough and I was still saving $$ then I would buy a ticket or pay someone to stand in line for me to get a ticket.

The only way to stop the selling of tickets is either:

a.) Have the stores not give out tickets

2.) Encourage buyers not to buy the tickets. Make the demand low. Either that or lowball the ticket sellers with $10 for the ticket.

F.) Call the police if it's against local laws or let them know when they make their rounds.

Luckily for me no stores in my area I go to on BF have a ticket policy.

I think if stores have a ticket system and do not have a way to stop/disallow the selling of tickets, then anyone with complaints should direct them at the stores, not the people selling the tickets.

Personally I don't see much difference between someone selling a ticket for a TV for $100 or buying the TV and re-selling it elsewhere for $100 more than they paid (and both of these happen a lot with BF ad items). Either way, the people behind them in line don't get that TV. I'm not saying it's right or wrong, just that the end result is the same.

So far this thread has been OK, but just a warning that if we start seeing comments intentionally made to stir the pot, those members will face consequences. This is always one of the "hot button" topics each year, so hopefully the discussion can continue as it's been :)

A better ticket system is all that is needed. Hand each person entitled to a ticket a mag card. For each ticket item, scan the cord for each person who wants one (continuing in line for people who would like to be put on a waiting list). The items scan at full price and the ticket holders get door buster discounts at the register. If some checks out without buying their door buster, it goes to the first person on the waiting list. When that person gets to checkout, they are asked if they still want the item. If not, it goes to the next person on the list.

This would be efficient and fair for consumers. Plus it would keep shoppers in the stores longer hoping for items to drop to them.

Stores could put up a display as items went out the door. I'd be scanning cards throughout the night to thwart the 'friends' who show up to take their place in line an hour before the store opens.

There is tons of greed in this world. What do you have to say about the corporate greed that takes our hard earned money from us? What do you say about OPEC decreasing oil production because they don't like the drop in gas prices? Money might just be paper but we all need it to survive. The person in front of you got their earlier than you - period. If you want to make sure you get that item then be sure to get to the store earlier.

You may call it greed but others call it capitalism which is what this country is based on. Heck stores buy the items they are selling for pennies on the dollar for what they are selling them for - are you writing those companies about their "greed"? Probably not because they are providing you a service in obtaining those products for you to purchase at your convenience. Well that is what the people are doing by getting to the store early. Providing a service to someone who can pay for it.

FYI - I don't do it. I'm not interested in missing my turkey day to stand in line, however, if I wanted an item bad enough and I was still saving $$ then I would buy a ticket or pay someone to stand in line for me to get a ticket.

Well said. If you're that angry about people making a buck & greed, CNN has a list of the top 10 banking, insurance, and mortgage people who've made millions for driving their company and our economy in the dirt. You might want to direct your anger toward them. :yup:

Well said. If you're that angry about people making a buck & greed, CNN has a list of the top 10 banking, insurance, and mortgage people who've made millions for driving their company and our economy in the dirt. You might want to direct your anger toward them. :yup:

no one is angry, but corporations are always an easy scapegoat. stealing from the rich isn't any better than taking from the poor.

To each his own, happy turkey and shopping ! myself, I have no intention to sell/buy tickets and that doesn't make me any better than people who do.;)

I still believe this 'capitalistic' mindset, when it comes to deal hunting, can make people a little edgy when money comes into play; just look at all those BF videos:eyepoppin

Imagine you take the last ticket for some item. The person behind you shows up 30 minutes after you , because she is taking 24 credit hours. You choose to sell (for money) her the ticket, although she has never made more than $6.40 per hour.

Clearly, making a quick buck at the expense of others doesn't phase you.

btw, that's me standing behind you. Please don't justify greed with some sob story about making above minimum wage and taking a mediocore class load.

If anyone showed up 30 minutes after me(which would be about 9:30pm Wednesday) they definitely would not have to worry about not getting a ticket.

Also, in regard to your personal attack, MSU does not allow students to take more than 16 credits without approval from the dean. In addition, no one in Michigan can (legally) make $6.40 an hour, as minimum wage is $7.40 if you are 18 or older.

Off topic, but out of curiosity, if you are taking 24 credits, are those semester credits? And what level classes are those? That credit load would be impossible at MSU.

Back on topic, I am hardly making a quick buck. I think we are going to just have to agree to disagree, because neither of us is changing anyone else's mind.

If anyone showed up 30 minutes after me(which would be about 9:30pm Wednesday) they definitely would not have to worry about not getting a ticket.

Also, in regard to your personal attack, MSU does not allow students to take more than 16 credits without approval from the dean. In addition, no one in Michigan can (legally) make $6.40 an hour, as minimum wage is $7.40 if you are 18 or older.

Off topic, but out of curiosity, if you are taking 24 credits, are those semester credits? And what level classes are those? That credit load would be impossible at MSU.

Back on topic, I am hardly making a quick buck. I think we are going to just have to agree to disagree, because neither of us is changing anyone else's mind.

Come on, those Spartans made a believer out of me today! :cheesy:

Edited by Cru

19 & Romeo Plank area. Not sure on my final BF destination. Depends on who's got the best deals. I'd like to pick up a cheap laptop. Maybe we could join forces and set up a little booth with our tickets for sale! :D

Drop me a pm when you get a chance.

It is wrong because someone just a few steps behind you in line has waited almost as long as you and actually wants that item, and is therefore entitled to get it from the store without paying you a markup, or losing it to someone else who is willing to pay you. The fact that someone is "willing to give up there time, Thanksgiving, endure the weather, etc does not justify any action. Is someone willing to give up their Thanksgiving to break into a store and steal something entitled to do so because they were willing? Of course not--willingness has nothing to do with right and wrong, or legality. :no:

I may not wait 36 hours, and those who do wait that long deserve first option to buy something, but those of us who do wait a few hours do deserve our chance to get things without paying a markup to a scalper, if not bought by one of those in front of us (for their own use). :yup:

Have a nice holiday! :)

Amen!

Agree with u!

I've sold tickets in the past, but to the people who got there 30 minutes before the store opens thinking they will get doorbuster items. Those who get there a little after me shouldn't have to worry if it's not an item I am there to buy for myself. If I happened to get the last ticket for an item I don't want, but the person behind me does want...I give them the ticket.

A store could always stop the ticket system all together and have it where people have to quess where to go when the store opens and if they are lucky they find the item they wanted, so #100 in line who got there 1 hour before store opened lucked up and found where they were got it and #1 in line got nothing they wanted after camping out for 2 days all because the store didnt want people selling tickets.

I like this idea, except the store should supply billy clubs and switchblades to everyone at the door. and then they should have live feeds on all major networks.. it'd be bigger than the super bowl.

I've sold tickets in the past, but to the people who got there 30 minutes before the store opens thinking they will get doorbuster items. Those who get there a little after me shouldn't have to worry if it's not an item I am there to buy for myself. If I happened to get the last ticket for an item I don't want, but the person behind me does want...I give them the ticket.

Definitely. I agree with this. I am not going to be a total jerk about it. But I will almost definitely be the first person in line, so the people immediately behind me will get tickets for their items too. It's the people about 20-30 people back where it starts to get nasty.

I've been on both sides of this argument in the past, so I'm a little torn myself.

Although I've never sold BF tickets, I've waited in line overnight on several non-BF occasions to buy high demand items (like the Wii) and then sold them to make a few bucks. On the other hand, I've waited all night long in lines far shorter than the supposed number of items that should've been on hand only to find out that all the tickets were handed out to the minority at the front.

Here's my thought when it comes to BF items: Many (if not all) of the really great deals are being sold at prices that either drastically reduce or completely eliminate the profit margin. The idea for these sales is to increase overall customer traffic, both on BF and throughout the X-mas shopping season. The more people that come through the doors...the better. From the retailer's point of view, it might make the most sense to limit the ticketed items to one per person. Granted, this would reduce the benefit for someone who really wanted two or more items. But, it would spread the wealth to more people and bring more people into the store. Ultimately, the register totals on those hot items would be the same, but the chances of greater overall sales would increase.

I think that "scalpers" would be less likely to wait in line for extended periods of time if they knew they were only going to get one ticket to sell.

I've seen some retailers use this policy in the past, but it's never been consistent or well published. If this becomes the norm, some of the craziness that occurs at 4:00AM would probably subside.