>>> Official Black Friday 2008 HDTV Discussion Thread <<<

Brad

i agree...go with the Samsung.......great sound and picture....i am thinking on saving a few bucks and get a samsung 32lcd for 499(300 m0del) on sale now in my bb store....i already have a 330 model i bought this last summer a serv plan replacement for a Westinghouse that went bad

Wife and I got two of those during the Sears Family and Friends sale for $425 (with the 10% + 5% discounts). Set one up last night using nothing but a basic rabbit ear antenna and I'm very pleased with it. Even though its contrast specs are a little less than the 330 model it's not that noticeable.

Len, sicne you seem to be the resident "know-it-all", how would you rank the brands of tvs. Mainly looking at LCDs sicne the room it would go in has too many windows from it and other rooms that a plasma is not an option with so much glare.

Mainly looking at the "big" brands ie Sony, Samsung, LG, Toshiba, Sharp...

Also, if I chose to get a tv that would be used for say a year or so, would the Westinghouse be a decent brand for that? Once it was done being the main tv it would just become a game tv or soemthing.

I'm not an expert. I just happen to be a person who recently finished shopping for a new TV. I decided on a plasma early in the process, so I don't have much help for you with your LCD.

FYI, MicroCenter finally has their ad up. Deals on tv's is only so-so. Their house brands are only about $100 off (part instant and part mail-in rebate though) so IMHO not worthy of standing around all night in the cold. They do have some better percentage deals on Sony 40" and 46" 1080P LCDs though ($799/$999 respectively).

Looks like I get to sleep in on Fri.

slinkster, unfortunately you really have to check the sets out for yourself. For example, I was just at Target comparing the Sony vs Olevia. Standing right in front of the sets and using a critical eye, there were obvious differences. Standing a few feet away and "just watching" (as you would be doing in at home) these differences start to fade (or go away completely). Whether these differences are worthy of the price differential is completely a subjective choice.

Watch out for the Westinghouse, very poor track record WRT reliability. Great for a year or so and kaputz. Go for the extended warranty (which of course partially negates the price advantage). _Don't_ move it around too much, many of the problems I've read about (blank stripes appearing towards the edges of the screen) are caused by the very fine connectors from the logic boards to the display panel breaking. Once this happens the tv is toast, this can not be repaired.

Edited by bitWrangler

Yeah. I am going to be out this afternoon for a little bit to go to the post office to mail a couple packages for my parents (oh yay, the post office!...). I am going to go by Target and check out the Westi. The more I read about the majority of them online, especially the smaller sets, the more I want to back away.

I have looked at diff sets off and on and usually my favorites or SOny, Sammy and then LG when I a looking at them. I was interested ina Toshiba that is on sale for like 650 for a 40' 1080p but it has some mixed reviews.

I was going to wait and see if some palce had a real good deal on a bundle with TV and surround sound between now and Christmas (or just after the first of the year). But it seems liek Best Buy always bundles it with Geek Squad set up, and I really do not need that.

This Television is available at Staples online for $299 shipped

I would like some input about the quality

There ar no reviews on the site

Envision L26W761 26" Widescreen LCD HDTV

With inputs such as HDMI for the best connectivity and NTSC/ATSC tuners with Clear QAM for high definition signal reception, all that's left to decide is what to watch this weeked.

26" Widescreen Active Matrix TFT LCD Display

Resolution 1366 x 768

Contrast ratio 800:1

500 cd/m2 Brightness

8ms Response Time

Brightness 500 cd/m2

Video, HDMI and PC Input

VESA Wall Mountable (200mm x 200mm)

NTSC/ATSC Tuner with Clear QAM

Inputs: (2)HDMI; (2) S-Video; (2) Composite; (2) Component

Buit-in Speakers 10 watts total

Dimensions 26.6"W x 20.8"H x 9.4"D (24.2lbs)

1 year warranty

So this is probably a stupid question, but here goes it. My husband wants a new tv, but he wants one of the huge ones, like 60 inches. Since most of the deals are for 40something inch tv, I was wondering how much of a difference it makes, and how big of a room would you need to have for it to look good. Also, are the mitsubishi ones good?

So this is probably a stupid question, but here goes it. My husband wants a new tv, but he wants one of the huge ones, like 60 inches. Since most of the deals are for 40something inch tv, I was wondering how much of a difference it makes, and how big of a room would you need to have for it to look good. Also, are the mitsubishi ones good?

Just my opinion, but 40-42in flat screens are big enough for the average living room. 60in units are more practical in larger areas where'd you be sitting some distance away.

Mitsubishi made great large rear projection sets but rear projection is more or less going away. What they have now I'm not familiar with.

This is probably a stupid answer, but when I started thinking about this, I cut out a piece of cardboard the size of the set I was thinking of and stood it where the tv would go. I also measured the distance from the set to the seats and consulted charts like these to see what size made sense for my room.

60 inches is big and much more expensive than 50 inches. If cost forces you to choose a different technology (dlp), consider image quality and viewing angle as well. good luck!

Greetings -

As any of you who are looking presumaly already know, both Sears and Best Buy have their $499 Samsung LN32A300 LCD HDTV selling right now. It was in Best Buy's Sunday ad actually. I debated back and forth and tonight broke down and bought it at Best Buy. Not to mention, anything over $499 using your Best Buy credit card qualifies for 18 months interest free financing.

The only difference I can find is that the next model up, the LN32A330 has an 8000:1 Contrast Ratio compared to the 6000:1 on the LN32A330.

HOWEVER...I saw rumors online that the 300 actually supported 1080p. I didn't believe it until I got mine hooked up...guess what folks...my DirectTV HD/DVR Receiver is currently piping a 1080p signal to the LN32A300 that I am watching as I write.

And for those of you considering a 37" Dynex over a 32" Samsung, make sure you go to the store and compare the pictures first - you'll be surprised.

On another note...I was at both of my local Walmarts today. They too have the LN32A330 - which as we know very well, Samsung is one of the leaders, if not the, in this technology right now. Now, I do admit, Vizio makes one hell of a TV, BUT, for some reason, every Vizio had a remarkably noticeable difference in display, even the lowest end model. This would lead me to believe that Walmart is adjusting the display settings to make Vizio look as though they really outperform the rest. Now, I would first think that perhaps it was just some people/kid screwing with the settings...but at two Walmarts? I've been doing my research and am quite confident with my idea of what displays look like on each.

Anyway...good luck to everyone this Black Friday - you won't catch me waiting inline for an LCD, I got mine :)

Happy Holidays!:D

This is probably a stupid answer, but when I started thinking about this, I cut out a piece of cardboard the size of the set I was thinking of and stood it where the tv would go. I also measured the distance from the set to the seats and consulted charts like these to see what size made sense for my room.

60 inches is big and much more expensive than 50 inches. If cost forces you to choose a different technology (dlp), consider image quality and viewing angle as well. good luck!

To get the "immersion" feeling, the larger the set the better. I just purchased the 61" Samsung DLP, with the LED engine. Amazon is selling it online, with free shipping and white glove delivery, for $1507 and no sales tax. So I took that information to my local Circuit City and they essentially price matched for me, but I opted to take the set home, without home delivery and setup. They took the cost of white glove service off of Amazon's price, to be competitve, and I only paid $1299 plus tax. It never hurts to ask for a deal. And both Amazon and Circuit City have favorable financing.

Does someone know the difference between the Samsung 42 inch PN42A400 & 42A450?

I don't know if you've already gotten this set since KMart had the PN42A400 today, but Crutchfield is selling it for the same price as everyone else (699) with free shipping. We ordered it last night and didn't have to pay sales tax, either. We decided to go with the cheaper set since it's for my inlaws who don't watch a lot of tv and just needed a replacement set in a bedroom.

My impression with LCD TVs is you really don't want to skimp on the quality. Samsung and Sony are the leading brands, and they lead because their picture quality and reliability are top notch. Typically anything under 40in doesn't benefit greatly by 1080p (so 720p is acceptable), but always aim for the better if you can. The next thing to look at (assuming you've already picked out an ideal size) is the contrast ratio. The higher the ratio, the better the picture will be. The darks will be darker and the lights will be brighter.

One of my roommates picked up two 37in 720p Samsungs earlier this year (why I don't know, but I won't question it). Two other friends of mine have 46in 1080p Samsungs. I can't say enough about Samsung and their picture quality. It's superb.

Unfortunately I'm not too impressed with the 46in Samsung deals this BF (only discounting the lower model 46in Samsungs), so I intend to hold off another year to watch prices drop again. The 32in Samsung deal seems pretty good, but realize that if 32in is too small for its room, you may regret the purchase later. Get the right TV the first time.

Happy shopping everybody! :D

Back in the spring we bought Samsung LN52A650 52-Inch 1080p 120Hz LCD HDTV from Amazon. DH had studied for months on which tv he wanted-we were replacing a 48" big tv that we'd had for about 12.5 yrs.

We LOVE it.. Picture is crisp and clear, none of that jumping you see with some of the tvs and sports.

Today when we went to Walmart to get the little Emerson for $388 we ended up getting another Samsung for our dd's room as well as a new one for our bedroom. So now we'll have the papa tv, mama tv and baby tv.. Then I started w/ the buyer's remorse so not sure if I'm keeping the one for our room or not.. According to the different price differences, the one for my room is a deal w/ abot $450 in savings..

This Television is available at Staples online for $299 shipped

I would like some input about the quality

There ar no reviews on the site

Envision L26W761 26" Widescreen LCD HDTV

With inputs such as HDMI for the best connectivity and NTSC/ATSC tuners with Clear QAM for high definition signal reception, all that's left to decide is what to watch this weeked.

26" Widescreen Active Matrix TFT LCD Display

Resolution 1366 x 768

Contrast ratio 800:1

500 cd/m2 Brightness

8ms Response Time

Brightness 500 cd/m2

Video, HDMI and PC Input

VESA Wall Mountable (200mm x 200mm)

NTSC/ATSC Tuner with Clear QAM

Inputs: (2)HDMI; (2) S-Video; (2) Composite; (2) Component

Buit-in Speakers 10 watts total

Dimensions 26.6"W x 20.8"H x 9.4"D (24.2lbs)

1 year warranty

Meh. If you can live without the tuner, you can find full 1080p monitors for comparable prices.

Greetings -

As any of you who are looking presumaly already know, both Sears and Best Buy have their $499 Samsung LN32A300 LCD HDTV selling right now. It was in Best Buy's Sunday ad actually. I debated back and forth and tonight broke down and bought it at Best Buy. Not to mention, anything over $499 using your Best Buy credit card qualifies for 18 months interest free financing.

The only difference I can find is that the next model up, the LN32A330 has an 8000:1 Contrast Ratio compared to the 6000:1 on the LN32A330.

HOWEVER...I saw rumors online that the 300 actually supported 1080p. I didn't believe it until I got mine hooked up...guess what folks...my DirectTV HD/DVR Receiver is currently piping a 1080p signal to the LN32A300 that I am watching as I write.

And for those of you considering a 37" Dynex over a 32" Samsung, make sure you go to the store and compare the pictures first - you'll be surprised.

On another note...I was at both of my local Walmarts today. They too have the LN32A330 - which as we know very well, Samsung is one of the leaders, if not the, in this technology right now. Now, I do admit, Vizio makes one hell of a TV, BUT, for some reason, every Vizio had a remarkably noticeable difference in display, even the lowest end model. This would lead me to believe that Walmart is adjusting the display settings to make Vizio look as though they really outperform the rest. Now, I would first think that perhaps it was just some people/kid screwing with the settings...but at two Walmarts? I've been doing my research and am quite confident with my idea of what displays look like on each.

Anyway...good luck to everyone this Black Friday - you won't catch me waiting inline for an LCD, I got mine :)

Happy Holidays!:D

I am glad to see this post. I bought the 499 samsung 32 at BB yesterday (with a 12% off flyer I got from my kids' school, making it 439!). I debated on getting the 330 model instead. They had the 330 on display, but the 300 was not. I've been a tad worried about buying it without seeing it on display, so I'm glad to hear you are having good results with it! Thanks!:)

any good deals on a 26 inch for about $299 thx. like cyber monday ?:):)

Best Buy has a good deal on a 26" Dynex LCD. This is their house brand, but specs and reviews are good. It was $400, but is $50 off and you get a $50 gift card. That brings it down to what you are looking for. Free shipping too. I bought one this morning. That was the best I could find on a 26" LCD>

Considering these two BJs TVs...any feedback for me? Both are 42" 1080p full HDTV

Sylvania $629.99 (after instant coupon)

http://shop.bjs.com/-799-99-less--170-Instant-Coupon-on-Sylvania-42--34--Full-HD-1080p-LCD-TV-Televisions_stcVVproductId22945280VVcatId428419VVviewprod.htm

Regular Price: $799.99

Instant Coupon: $170

BJ's Member Price: $629.99

Instant Coupon ends November 30, 2008.

Instant Coupons cannot be combined with any other offer or coupon.

This widescreen HDTV has a 1920 x 1080 resolution and provides an awesome home entertainment experience with stunning picture quality. The Clear Pix Engine PLUS ensures a great picture for movies and television programs. Stereo and virtual surround sound provide immersive audio.

Product Features:

1920 x 1080 resolution

42" LCD provides crystal-clear images and vibrant colors

Two 10W speakers for immersive audio

ATSC and NTSC tuners

Viewing angles: 178°; Brightness: 500cd/m2

Response time: 8ms; Contrast ratio: 900:1

Inputs: 1 S-Video, 5 L/R audio, 1 component, 2 HDMI, 1 PC, 1 audio mini plug, 1 RF

Outputs: 1 L/R audio, 1 digital audio (coaxial)

Multifunction remote control

Sound control can be adjusted to suit your personal preference

Picture control allows you to customize contrast, brightness, color, tint and sharpness

Closed caption decoder for the hearing impaired

V-Chip blocks programs you don't want children to see

Trilingual on-screen display lets you choose English, French or Spanish

Sleep timer to program the TV to turn off at a predetermined time

Auto shutoff automatically turns off the TV

Dimensions: 13.6"l x 41.2"w x 29.5"h

Weight: 50.8 lb.

Warranty: 1 year parts; 90 days labor

(Model LC420SS8)

Envision $599.99 (after instant coupon)

http://shop.bjs.com/-749-99-less--150-Instant-Coupon-on-AOC-Envision-42--34--Full-HD-1080p-LCD-HDTV-Televisions_stcVVproductId43405623VVcatId428419VVviewprod.htm

Regular Price: $749.99

Instant Coupon: $150

BJ's Member Price: $599.99

Instant Coupon ends December 2, 2008.

Instant Coupons cannot be combined with any other offer or coupon.

A bright and engaging display awaits you on this 42" widescreen LCD HDTV. The generous TV features a full 1080 high-definition display for a clear and breathtaking picture. Mount the unit on your wall with a compatible wall mount arm and bracket (not included) for a great view of the screen from anywhere in the room.

Product Features:

1920 x 1080 full high-definition resolution

Built-in speakers with 20W of power; stereo and virtual surround create an impressive listening environment

ATSC, NTSC and QAM tuners

Viewing angles: 176°; Brightness: 500cd/m2

Response time: 6.5ms; Contrast ratio: 1,500:1

Inputs: composite audio, S-Video, component audio, HDMI, analog RGB

Outputs: headphone, digital audio (S/PDIF)

V-Chip blocks children from watching undesirable material

3-D comb filter provides excellent image quality

3:2 pulldown smoothes picture edges for flawless images

Includes TV, remote control with batteries, power cord, RGB cable, PC audio cable, base and user's manual

Dimensions (with stand): 11.4"l x 41.3"w x 30.2"h

Dimensions (without stand): 4.8"l x 41.3"w x 28.5"h

Weight: 52.8 lb.

Warranty: 1 year

(Model L42H761)