>>> Official Black Friday 2008 HDTV Discussion Thread <<<

Brad

What do you think is the best bet right now? Im looking at 3 TVs and they are these...

37" Element for $499.99 at CC

32" Toshiba for $449.99 at CC

37" Sylvania for $379.99 at Meijers

I dont know much about either of the 3 TV's but i know i need atleast 2 HDMI's and atleast 2 A/V's. Id really like a 37" but Toshiba is a trusted name and I trust them more but $70 less I get 5" more. Any help would be much needed. Thanks

I used to own a 26" Sylvania console televison (haha remember those!?) but really, it lasted about 12 years or so, definitely got the money worth out of that... I'd buy a Sylvania TV anyday over an Element or Olivia.

But also, to be fair, some of these "no-brand" tv's are actually made by the same name brand "big guys', it's just their cheap label..

hi, i'm new here, so bear with me a bit. i don't have time to post often, but i just had to this time. you all know that some stores price promise, and that's especially great on bf. sears does this, but they one up it by also giving you 10% of the price difference off the identical matched item. last bf, ABC Warehouse had a 46" 1080i LCD on sale for less than $1000. sears had the exact same item regular priced $2800 on sale bf for $2400. so this amazing tv that my dh thinks i am the best wife ever for, cost me $1000- (10% of $1400 difference), meaning i paid a whopping $860 for. keep this in mind when you shop, it's a great way to combine shopping and save a little more money. now i'll crawl back in my hole. happy shopping!

Thanks for the tip! Although, in my experiences, I've had trouble price matching stores on black friday, so YMMV...

Also, a question to owners out there... I was checking out tv's at Wal-Mart last night, as I said I'll be purchasing one on BF. I was checking out the differences between LCD and Plasma and 720 and 1080p and such. Granted, I couldn't check out much in the way of resolution, as I really doubt that the signal going to all those tv's is indeed an HD signal to even begin with :\ But I did notice that the Plasmas have a very noticeable glare on the sets, which might be a deal-breaker for me, as the tv is going in the front living room, that has 4 windows in it (including the door). Curtains help out a lot, but there is still going to be a small glare in it, but I suspect it won't be any worse than the CRT I have now (which isn't even flat screen).

But, back to my question... In the LCD's I owned, which include a computer monitor and a PSP, I've noticed a bit of dead pixels on the screens (which for those who don't know, are pixels that stay constantly black or white on screen at all times). However, are dead pixels a really big issue in HDTV's? My main concern is some of these door-busters that these stores are offering, are not "checked for quality" like some of the TV's that these stores normally carry.. Have any of you had to return your BF TV's for this or similar issues?

I'm sorry if this has been discussed somewhere, but I can't find it if it has... Does anyone have an opinion on the 42" Sharp that Dell has for BF? I see they have it now for only $50 more than the BF sale. We really liked the Sharps that Walmart has all the time. Do you think this TV will be as good? Thanks!

No clue on those models, but Samsung generally gets much better reviews on quality and reliability. A good place to start, without getting into really technical sites, is just to go to Amazon and search for reviews on those models, or even just on those brands.

Between the 42 inch Samsung Plasma and 42 inch Polaroid LCD at Walmart, can anyone tell me which on is best quality (taking in account the price)?

Thanks,

Eldamir

I've been poking around online and have come across some reviews about the Polaroid being 1080i not 1080p like most stores list it as. I am still looking at more reviews to find out since I am considering getting this TV.

Does someone know the difference between the Samsung 42 inch PN42A400 & 42A450?

There are quite a few differences -- contrast, connections, features, modes. Open these two pages (PN42A400, PN42A450) side by side to see for yourself. The 450 is the better set, but I could see me choosing on price -- I'd have to look at each to see what difference contrast ratio (20000:1 vs 15000:1) and DNIe (DNIe vs DNIE+) makes.

There are quite a few differences -- contrast, connections, features, modes. Open these two pages, side by side to see for yourself. The 450 is the better set, but I could see me choosing on price -- I'd have to look at each to see what difference contrast ratio (20000:1 vs 15000:1) and DNIe (DNIe vs DNIE+) makes.

So for the same price 699$, I should go with the A450 at Best Buy or Circuit City. Walmart only offers the A400... What do you guys think?

So for the same price 699$, I should go with the A450 at Best Buy or Circuit City. Walmart only offers the A400... What do you guys think?

I would. Better contrast, newer DNIe (assuming they improve with + and never having compared the two), and more inputs.

Still, if you get the chance, look at both. I bet you have trouble telling one from the other until you start counting connectors ;)

If you buy the Polaroid, get it with a credit card that automatically doubles the warranty or, if you don't have a card like that, then purchase an extended warranty. Lot's of folks have had reliabilility issues with Polaroid TV's and they don't fix them in warranty, they replace them instead because there are no parts available. After the warranty is up, if it dies, you're SOL.

What do you guys think about the price of the Sony Bravia S Series 46" 1080p LCD HDTV ? Best Buy has it for a little more but with 18 months no interest. Opinions?

First, I would get plasma unless you are viewing in a brightly lit room. Second, I think Bravia sets tend to be over priced. Third, financing should be a minor consideration in your purchase -- pick the set, find the deal. If you can only afford a TV by financing, you cannot afford the TV.

First, I would get plasma unless you are viewing in a brightly lit room. Second, I think Bravia sets tend to be over priced. Third, financing should be a minor consideration in your purchase -- pick the set, find the deal. If you can only afford a TV by financing, you cannot afford the TV.

Trust me I couldn't agree more about the financing part. I am scoping out deals on TV's for a friend and he insists that it be a Bravia over 46 inches. I think if he is going to make finding a deal this hard on me then he should be happy with what he gets. :D

I just noticed the specs on Sansui 19" LCD TV doesn't match between what is now on Walmart's website ($297) and the one on Walmart BF ad ($178).

$297 version seems to have "HDMI, component video, S-video, composite video and VGA connections"

$178 version doesn't seem to have HDMI

I have a 720p Samsung DLP.:)

My friend has a Sony Bravia DLP.:)

I don't think you could go wrong buying either brand.

I do like the DLP over plasma.

The plasmas put out alout of heat.

For the price and size you cant beat DLP as long as you have the room and you don't need much.:yup:

Big deal you can't put it on a wall.:rolleyes:

DLP is great in a 'home theater' where you sit dead in front and the environment is perfect, but they kind of suck in a living room where viewing angle and ambient lighting are factors. DLP sets are the ones where, if you duck down a little or move to the side a bit, the image quality changes. I couldn't have that in my living room.

Len, sicne you seem to be the resident "know-it-all", how would you rank the brands of tvs. Mainly looking at LCDs sicne the room it would go in has too many windows from it and other rooms that a plasma is not an option with so much glare.

Mainly looking at the "big" brands ie Sony, Samsung, LG, Toshiba, Sharp...

Also, if I chose to get a tv that would be used for say a year or so, would the Westinghouse be a decent brand for that? Once it was done being the main tv it would just become a game tv or soemthing.

Dynex is Best Buys in-house brand, I have the 37" Version of it bought it last year on BF. All in all I would pay the extra $100 and get the Samsung but that's just my opinion. I think the Samsung line of products is better in general they normally have a brighter and somewhat sharper picture. My major complaint about the Dynex is the sound, it's not very loud and lacks bass outside of that though it's been a pretty good TV.

i agree...go with the Samsung.......great sound and picture....i am thinking on saving a few bucks and get a samsung 32lcd for 499(300 m0del) on sale now in my bb store....i already have a 330 model i bought this last summer a serv plan replacement for a Westinghouse that went bad