>>> Official Black Friday 2008 HDTV Discussion Thread <<<

Brad

Just saw this on Yahoo news.

Holiday price cuts on flatscreen tvs?

http://tech.yahoo.com/blogs/null/108089

Aren't we already seeing better deals? Plenty of people have bought and rave about lesser brand and bare bones TVs, but they don't look as good to me (I picked a 720p plasma over a 1080p lcd). If you're hoping to snag a cheap set on BF, visit the stores now to make sure you will be happy sitting in front of it. So far (I know, one flier), I think pre-BF deals are better.

I am in the same boat as you. I have everything else for my home theater and this is the last peice that I finally got approval for from the wife. I want to go 110" too. I can't wait to watch Wall-e with the fam with the new projector.

I am waiting for Texas Instruments Phatlight projectors.

I currently have a 42 or 46 inch toshiba lcd dlp(i think) 1080 hdtv. it has the big bulbs, we've had to change it twice. we've had it about 2 years or so. dh wants a new one, he thinks the picture isn't as good, I think it's fine. We'd stay around the same size or bigger depending on the deals on bf. Any ideas or suggestions? Edited by princez916

Joining this thread. We have a 52" projection HDTV downstairs in the family room, but I'm getting tired of looking at the 10 year old 27" tv we have upstairs in the living room and not seeing the edges of the tv because it's not widescreen. :) I'm looking for a 32-42" HDTV, although not sure if LCD or plasma is the way to go. The living room has a huge bay window (that let's in alot of light, especially in the afternoon), and the couches are about 5-10 feet away from the tv. Any suggestions?

I was really hesitant at first, but I'm totally sold on Vizio. There low prices made me think that they were just another discount brand with inferior products. But they have proven that they are anything but inferior. You really can not beat the value in a vizio. Costco has some AMAZING regular prices on them. I'm partial to plasma, because the main thing I watch is sports and the blur on the low and mid range lcd's drive me crazy (I'll never be rich enough to shop the high end!)

FYI, someone sent over a data sheet on the Samsung LN32A300 32" LCD HDTV that Sears and likely a few other retailers will have on BF. It seems to be a new model that's just coming out in time for BF, so not much info is out there about it, so here you go for anyone interested:

http://blackfriday.gottadeal.com/images/LN32A300.pdf

Thank you for posting the data sheet for this TV. :)

Dynex is Best Buys in-house brand, I have the 37" Version of it bought it last year on BF. All in all I would pay the extra $100 and get the Samsung but that's just my opinion. I think the Samsung line of products is better in general they normally have a brighter and somewhat sharper picture. My major complaint about the Dynex is the sound, it's not very loud and lacks bass outside of that though it's been a pretty good TV.

I was in Walmart the other night. They have only tubes and LCDs in my store -- a few tubes and a LOT of LCDs. They were running a sports video and I just could not deal with the image quality. This sounds stupid, but it wasn't so obvious that I could see it -- it was just something I could perceive (like the flicker of a fluorescent bulb). I think I would have HUGE buyer's remorse if I replaced my 36" tube (Sony 4:3 SDTV) with one of these.

Having only watched these in a store, I got to wondering if the lighting was the real culprit. Any long time LCD owners who are sports fans care to comment on the viewing experience?

Just to keep this on topic, I predict a $300 37" lcd and a $500 42" lcd for BF.

Just a pat on the back for me. Newegg has a $499.99 42" 720p lcd. I can't vouch for the quality, but I definitely nailed this and DESERVE a t-shirt ;)

OK, who can tell me which is the better buy in the Best Buy ad: the Dynex 32" no-name for $399 or the Samsung 32" for $499?

Or is there a better deal elsewhere? I'd LOVE not to have to fight the crowds at Best Buy...

Sears has the Samsung TV at 499 also - and they have the same price at this weekend's friends and family sale.

Is it true Plasma TV's are better for watching sports?

Plasma TVs don't have the "pixel block effect" that many mid-to-lower end LCDs have when displaying images with a lot of fast motion in them.

Upper end LCDs and the newer 120Hz sets are getting good enough to where most viewers wouldn't notice the difference.

The reviews on the Newegg TV are good and you really don't want to carry a HDTV home on a cold winter day.

Well, we did it last year, and I wouldn't mind doing it again this year if it is for the right price on the right brand.

We got the CC 46" Sharp last year (from UE-long story), and we love it. So, now we just need a 42" for upstairs-or we could move the 46" and get a 50" plasma for the living room.

Okay, we want to get a tv for my in-laws this year for Christmas. I was hoping to avoid buying one on BF, as I refuse to go to BB or CC that day. Sam's Club would be alright, and Meijers would be ok. I think we want to get them a 42" plasma, as their "tv room" is pretty dark, and not that big, but my MIL has bad eyesight and FIL would just like to have a big tv. Their last one in this room was a 36".

My question is, is one brand better than another at this size? I think it was last year that everyone was raving over the Samsungs and saying that they were the best. Is that still true? I don't really care what we spend (WITHIN REASON), so if it's a matter of a crummy brand costing 500 or a good one being 1000, we'd go with the 1000.

We got th best deal on Black Friday for a 108pi at Wal-Mart for a 42-inch. Was I think $750-790--can't remember. It's been nice to have too. Got a Blu-Ray at Sam's Club that same day and watching Blu-Rays are nice on both. Just check over all the deals, even if can get one now as I did see couple go for what we paid for ours last weekend, and get that.

Pam

My question is, is one brand better than another at this size? I think it was last year that everyone was raving over the Samsungs and saying that they were the best. Is that still true? I don't really care what we spend (WITHIN REASON), so if it's a matter of a crummy brand costing 500 or a good one being 1000, we'd go with the 1000.

I would still say that Samsung is by far the best IMO.

Well based on the ads so far I'm glad I bought that open box special at BB earlier this week for $349(32" Insignia 720p)! I had $100 worth of freebie gc's so I'm happy with my out of pocket cost of $249. None of these TV deals are worth waiting out in the cold for sheesh.

Good info here...

http://clicks.aweber.com/y/ct/?l=8_nuC&m=1jNCsR6HuXQTuH&b=Q4ubsboseIKf_eWFTnsFmw

http://reviews.cnet.com/4520-6449_7-6792632-1.html?tag=rb_content;rb_mtx

http://reviews.cnet.com/4520-6449_7-6844370-1.html?tag=rb_content;rb_mtx

http://reviews.cnet.com/720p-vs-1080p-hdtv/?tag=rb_content;rb_mtx

http://www.daniele.ch/school/30vs60/30vs60_1.html

http://www.consumersearch.com/plasma-tv

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/

Your eyes matter more than other people's opinions. Best thing to do is spend some time in front of sets. Start by measuring the distance from your viewing area to where the set will be. That matters because if you are sitting six feet back from a 42" tv, you will be hard pressed to distinguish 720p from 1080p (http://i249.photobucket.com/albums/gg212/hondar_2008/resolution_chart.jpg). Visit a few stores. My Walmart feeds s-video to their HDTVs, so the picture is not so good to begin with. Try to see a lot of programming. A blu-ray disc of dolphins frolicking is going to look good on all sets. High motion (sports) will challenge a lot of expensive TVs.

Most of the differences (price, image retention, picture quality) between lcd and plasma right now are slim.

- LCD will look better in a bright room (plasma is glass/reflective)

- LCD uses less electricity

- Plasma is better for motion

- Plasma looks better in a dark room (deeper blacks, richer colors)

- Plasma looks better from wide angles (when you are off to the side of the set or looking down on one)

There is more variation between brands than technologies. Most rate Pioneer and Sony plasmas at the top, but Samsung and Panasonic are right there for a fraction of the cost.

I have a 50 inch Samsung 720p plasma and I like it a lot.

Is it true Plasma TV's are better for watching sports?

I think they are. The motion blur on all but the fastest, most expensive LCDs is a deal killer for me. Most people see this if you point it out, but some don't mind it. You should really go watch a hockey game on a big LCD and see for yourself.

Question on LCDs. We're planning to get a 32 inch (maybe 37 if sales are good enough) for our family room, along with a Wii. Our current TV stand houses the TV not very high above the ground -- it's about the height of your eyes if you're slumped down in the sofa (which works very well for us ...LOL) ...

But, with the Wii, obviously we'll be standing a lot more and looking at the TV. I've heard reports that the LCDs aren't so hot when viewed at angles. Does that also mean from a higher perspective? Should I be looking into either wall-mounting or a new stand or an adjustable TV?

Thanks!

Question on LCDs. We're planning to get a 32 inch (maybe 37 if sales are good enough) for our family room, along with a Wii. Our current TV stand houses the TV not very high above the ground -- it's about the height of your eyes if you're slumped down in the sofa (which works very well for us ...LOL) ...

But, with the Wii, obviously we'll be standing a lot more and looking at the TV. I've heard reports that the LCDs aren't so hot when viewed at angles. Does that also mean from a higher perspective? Should I be looking into either wall-mounting or a new stand or an adjustable TV?

Thanks!

Yes vertical as well as horizontal, but it's not bad as some say...

http://www.lcdtvbuyingguide.com/lcdtv/lcdtv-misconceptions.shtml

Best to visit a store and try for yourself.

I was in Walmart the other night. They have only tubes and LCDs in my store -- a few tubes and a LOT of LCDs. They were running a sports video and I just could not deal with the image quality. This sounds stupid, but it wasn't so obvious that I could see it -- it was just something I could perceive (like the flicker of a fluorescent bulb). I think I would have HUGE buyer's remorse if I replaced my 36" tube (Sony 4:3 SDTV) with one of these.

Having only watched these in a store, I got to wondering if the lighting was the real culprit. Any long time LCD owners who are sports fans care to comment on the viewing experience?

Just to keep this on topic, I predict a $300 37" lcd and a $500 42" lcd for BF.

You need to understand that all stores use a very "dirty" signal for their LCD's and plasmas....definitely not HDTV quality. Also, they use the factory settings for the displays. I have a 32" LCD and I watch football, baseball, and basketball with it and it looks very good. I do not have HDTV even. If you tune the TV when you get it home, you will be much impressed.