Outlet shopping?

mommy2twingles

I have been. I didn't feel it was worth it, but I am 30 minutes from 3 of the largest outlet centers out there (VF, Rockvale/Tanger, and Philadelphia Outlet Center) and the promotions that I catch during the year are just as good as the ones that go on at midnight Black Friday. Personally, I am not a night person, so I like just going to bed early and getting up early to hit the non-outlet stores.

Last year, we attempted to go to the Jackson Outlets; however, everyone else got the same idea and sat in traffic for almost 15 minutes before we decided to turn around. When they first came up with the idea in 2006, we had no problem getting to the outlets and found a number of great deals with only a handful of stores having a longer wait to check out. If I remember correctly, there were weekend-long sales at all of the Premium Outlet Centers; but each day was a different sale at each store.

Hope this helps!

I was at the outlet in Jeffersonville. OH last year at midnight.... the deals were "fair" not super and the lines were VERY LONG!!! not worth it to me for being tired for the BIG morning. If you are looking for something specific... Coach\DB purse.. pottery barn stuff... I wouldn't go again

It really depends on what you want and how far they are. The outlet by me that does midnight madness is about 40 miles from me. I normally go for the Banana Republic Outlet which does 40% off the entire store. I usually find enough deals to make it worth my while - but with gas prices the way they are now .. I'm not sure about this year.

The lines are verrrrry long and forget about trying anything on unless you want to wait even longer. It's a zoo at the outlets in Smithfield, NC. Unless you go at like 3am when the majority of the crowds have cleared out.

The stores will post on the outlet's website what they are going to be doing - so you can find out before you go what the deals will be.

I've always wondered about the midnight thing at the outlets also. I heard that the the traffic to get up to the nearest Premium outlet near me was ridiculous and all the parking was gone by 8PM. :eyepoppin:

ETA: now that I think about it, I don't even think it's worth it. Shoot Banana Republic Outlets does 40% off their entire store all the time. Stores are going to have to come better than that for me to brave the crowds, and traffic.

Edited by babygirl913

I have never gone, but will be 5-10 min away. I never really thought about the traffic, but I don't think it will be too bad, at least I have never heard anything about it being crazy!!!! I was thinking about checking it out this year, but I don't know that they are going to have anything that i REALLY want!!! it may just be practice for the rest of the day!!! ha ha

I go to the outlet and shop, but it doesnt open at midnight (I wish it did). I go to the Galleria Mall in Philadelphia. For me, its cool tho. I would never go to my local malls because EVERYONE from Maryland and Philadelphia come to Delawaare for the tax free shopping and its WAAAAY crowded (the malls open up at 3am) and the lines are super long. So in Philadelphia, its not as crowded and the lines arent as long, so Im satisfied.

I was at the outlet in Jeffersonville. OH last year at midnight.... the deals were "fair" not super and the lines were VERY LONG!!! not worth it to me for being tired for the BIG morning. If you are looking for something specific... Coach\DB purse.. pottery barn stuff... I wouldn't go again

I was there too! At least the weather wasn't horrible...just fair to middlin. :) I can't believe I stood in that darn line for a GC & didn't get ANYTHING. I just knew I was going to get one.

I agree though, that the prices weren't all that great. The Bath & Body Works store was CRAZAZAZY busy - my SIL wanted to get wallflowers & other good deals in there, so she stood in line while I fought the crowd to pick up what she wanted... than I got the hell outta there.

I don't know if we're going back to the outlet... It'd have to be some great specials going on for that to happen. Plus, I think I'd also need to get something specific there.

I was there too! At least the weather wasn't horrible...just fair to middlin. :) I can't believe I stood in that darn line for a GC & didn't get ANYTHING. I just knew I was going to get one.

I agree though, that the prices weren't all that great. The Bath & Body Works store was CRAZAZAZY busy - my SIL wanted to get wallflowers & other good deals in there, so she stood in line while I fought the crowd to pick up what she wanted... than I got the hell outta there.

I don't know if we're going back to the outlet... It'd have to be some great specials going on for that to happen. Plus, I think I'd also need to get something specific there.

I was in that line and........ NO GC either!!!!!!.... I got mauled at the gap last year by a woman with a stroller(no kid inside; just a stroller for her bags).... I don't think I will be going back.. too crazy

We went to the Leesburg Virginia Premium outlets (west of DC) last year when they opened at midnight. When we got near about 30 min. before they opened, we could see that all 3 major (each 3 lanes each way) roads near the outlets were bumper to bumper for as far as you could see. We took some back roads and parked behind the buildings and went shopping, but the deals weren't that good and some stores had lines just to get in. Basically a waste of time. On the way home, traffic was still backed up as far as you could see. When we went back out at 4:30 AM to go to Bestbuy, there were still lines of cars going to the outlets and we had to dodge people trying to cross the highways to get back to cars parked a mile from the outlets.

I go to the outlet and shop, but it doesnt open at midnight (I wish it did). I go to the Galleria Mall in Philadelphia. For me, its cool tho. I would never go to my local malls because EVERYONE from Maryland and Philadelphia come to Delawaare for the tax free shopping and its WAAAAY crowded (the malls open up at 3am) and the lines are super long. So in Philadelphia, its not as crowded and the lines arent as long, so Im satisfied.

The Gallery In CC??

O'm surprised you find good deals there. They up their regular prices, just because it's a city tourist attraction. You might be better off trying Franklin Mills and saving a few bucks.

Remember on any given week end outlets are jam-packed? Well, multiply that times 2 or so.

Also beware of the traffic congestion at the outlets that are having their first experience at midnight openings. Actually the police jurisdictions supporting those openings. Not a breaking the law thing, but their lack of a plan usually just plain sucks or hurts my time line.

Case in point. Williamsburg VA. I got there at 10:30. Well within 6 miles of there. Fortunately, knowing the area I was able to hit and run the one store. But the traffic management was ridiculously mis-managed. Not a pandemonium of elbows and fists, but as an example the 2lane highway-the lane that entered the stores was backed up 4 miles. The parking lot that held 500 cars, folks were continuously directed into, but there were no spaces!!!!

Along the lines of hard-core BF folks. I saw more sight see'rs meaning "oh, let's just go out and see whats going on - slow moving - hands in their pockets - milling about just to kill time - people!!!

I'm to the point now of trying to get deals prior to then, and especially try to avoid outlet shopping. Due to the traffic problems and silly folks.