In search of a deal on a roof top luggage carrier

I am looking for a good waterproof luggage carrier to go on top of my Ford Escape.

I am fine with the soft sided kind as long as it will be waterproof. We will be traveling about 6000 miles over the course of 4 weeks and need it to be a descent one. Any personal stories with the use of one would be great if you have one as well.

Thanks in advance. :)

I have a Samsonite like this: http://us.st11.yimg.com/us.st.yimg.com/I/rwg_1936_6855902 I bought the cheapest shower curtain I could find to put over everything before we zip it shut...just to be sure. It went through a total downpour and the curtain did the trick. The stuff was dry but the curtain was a bit damp. Several of my friends have borrowed it and gone through rain with no problems but they draped the shower curtain for good measure also. We also used some plastic zip tie things to help secure it to the top of the van.http://www.sheldonbrown.com/images/zip-ties.jpg

We were in the market for one of these also, I just happened to stumble upon one brand new in the box ( obviousley a Target clearance) @ Goodwill last week, it's Rubbermaid brand soft sided kind. I'm not sure how much these reatail for but I got it for $19.99 , I snatched it up, I was gonna use it this last weekend but ended not needing to so I can't really tell you how it works but I know it will be alot easier to store then a hard one!! Goodluck!!

I ordered one from www.roofbag.com. You can use it on a vehicle with or without crossbars/siderails. I have used it on both and it was very easy to do both ways. We ran in to a heavy rain on our way home from N.C. and all of our belongings were completely dry. I bought the duffle bags too so that made it even easier to load.