Official Price Matching & Price Adjusting Discussion Thread

bigjimslade

Oh, I don't even need to get started on price matching last year at Wal-Mart...it is truly the closest I have ever come to commiting murder...(j/k sorta..).

I called the day before Thanksgiving and on Thanksgiving itself. Spoke with a manager and assistant manager (took note of both their names). Both said that they would be price matching anything except doorbusters from other stores - if it wasn't an early bird deal they would definately price match. So like an idiot I assumed there would be no problems come BF.

Fastfoward to BF. I am in line about to check out and the cashier says, "oh we don't price match on BF". I wasn't even gonna waste my time talking it out with her cause I knew it would go no where so I asked to speak with a manager. Her response (without checking) was that the managers were busy and if I wanted to talk with one I would have to go find one myself. So, here I go on the manager hunt. I find an assistant manager at the back of the store after fighting my way back through the mosh pit near the old layaway area (where they were doing the electronics early birds). I explained to him how I had spoke with the manager and another assit. manager the 2 previous days and what they said. And he said that what they told me was accurate and to go back, get in line and tell the cashier his name and that what I was saying was right, and if there were any problems to have them radio him. So, back through the pit, wait in line, different cashier since the last one was such a little ray of sunshine and all, response "we don't price match on BF", give her assit. managers name what he said and to radio him if there was any confusion. About this time a lady who to this day I'm not really sure what her position in the store was...lol - comes up and tells me to my face that they don't price match on BF and it doesn't matter who I talked to - they aren't going to do it.

I am usually a fairly agreeable person and can remain calm. But at this point I was TICKED off.

I won't go into the horridly long details of the next 45 MIN., but it continued back and forth like that with different people and by the time it was over it involved every manager of any sort in the store, a regional manager on the phone, and FINALLY my vindication (but get this - after the regional manager clearly told Ms. Snotty Lady (the one I don't know what her position was) that they were price matching, she had me go to customer service to check out - and I heard her tell someone in the line back to the left of CS that Walmart wasn't price matching. I about fell out in the floor...

Needless to say there will be no Wal-Mart on BF for me this year, and my days of price matching are over - I have 3 small kids - I need no extra stress in my life...lol - I'll go where the deals are and phooey on the rest of it.

Oh, I don't even need to get started on price matching last year at Wal-Mart...it is truly the closest I have ever come to commiting murder...(j/k sorta..).

I called the day before Thanksgiving and on Thanksgiving itself. Spoke with a manager and assistant manager (took note of both their names). Both said that they would be price matching anything except doorbusters from other stores - if it wasn't an early bird deal they would definately price match. So like an idiot I assumed there would be no problems come BF.

Fastfoward to BF. I am in line about to check out and the cashier says, "oh we don't price match on BF". I wasn't even gonna waste my time talking it out with her cause I knew it would go no where so I asked to speak with a manager. Her response (without checking) was that the managers were busy and if I wanted to talk with one I would have to go find one myself. So, here I go on the manager hunt. I find an assistant manager at the back of the store after fighting my way back through the mosh pit near the old layaway area (where they were doing the electronics early birds). I explained to him how I had spoke with the manager and another assit. manager the 2 previous days and what they said. And he said that what they told me was accurate and to go back, get in line and tell the cashier his name and that what I was saying was right, and if there were any problems to have them radio him. So, back through the pit, wait in line, different cashier since the last one was such a little ray of sunshine and all, response "we don't price match on BF", give her assit. managers name what he said and to radio him if there was any confusion. About this time a lady who to this day I'm not really sure what her position in the store was...lol - comes up and tells me to my face that they don't price match on BF and it doesn't matter who I talked to - they aren't going to do it.

I am usually a fairly agreeable person and can remain calm. But at this point I was TICKED off.

I won't go into the horridly long details of the next 45 MIN., but it continued back and forth like that with different people and by the time it was over it involved every manager of any sort in the store, a regional manager on the phone, and FINALLY my vindication (but get this - after the regional manager clearly told Ms. Snotty Lady (the one I don't know what her position was) that they were price matching, she had me go to customer service to check out - and I heard her tell someone in the line back to the left of CS that Walmart wasn't price matching. I about fell out in the floor...

Needless to say there will be no Wal-Mart on BF for me this year, and my days of price matching are over - I have 3 small kids - I need no extra stress in my life...lol - I'll go where the deals are and phooey on the rest of it.

of the 10+ years of black fridaying walmart never gave me a problem of price matching...and i price match a lot..., sorry to hear this ordeal....lately i dont even have to have the ad i just tell them the price...( whichi have the ads in hand just in case they question it...lol)...but if its a huge difference a manager has to be called over every time...which is a pain but we all stick with it...$20 dvd, for 2.99-7.99...ill wait for a mananger....lol

I had good luck price matching at Walmart in '07. I wasn't brave enough to lug into KB Toys just for some my little ponies, so I called a couple of walmarts. My local walmart would not price match KB Toys because it was over 30 miles away, so I called another walmart that was a bit closer to the KB Toys and they did it for me no problem.

Two years ago, I price adjusted at Circuit City with no problems at all. I walked in there a week early with the printed out ad in my hands and had half a dozen Circuit City reps drooling over it as I guess they hadn't been shown yet. I bought the 42 in Panasonic Plasma HDTV, an Onkyo HT in a box, a Garmin c340 GPS and some noise cancelling headphones that were all set to go on sale on Black Friday. I was told unequivocally that I could just bring back the receipts sometime during the day on Black Friday and they'd refund the difference. I did as they said and they completely honored their side of the deal with no questions asked.

Now, finding a Circuit City open on Black Friday might be a little difficult this year...but they were good to me in the past.

- Dan

• 2 weeks later...
I've been hoping for a 22" Samsung monitor to go on sale like it did last year at Best Buy , but it does not look like it is going to happen. However, I know some companies pricematch policies include competitor coupons, and Costco has a 70$ off coupon for a 23". Does anyone with more knowledge of pricematching on BF know if anyone would take that or any other way I could get a good deal on a 22" Samsung?

I've gotten 2 emails from Sears saying the will not price match or price adjust for Black Friday and called my local store and got the same response :mad:

Their website says otherwise, BTW. I don't know if it's a change since you inquired, or not.

I picked up a Sony Blu-ray player there last night at the VIP sale. After being reassured by three customer service reps that all I needed to do was call in during the promotion timeframe, I felt comfortable going ahead.

I did get a card from one of them, just in case. Upon getting home, I was still a little nervous and I checked their site. They have a detailed price policy and it does cover this. So, I opened up the player and am enjoying it's $180 goodness right now. ;)

I was glad to see that Sears was very busy last night and doing good business. I think that's good for the store and the economy.

Guest HoosierShadow

IMO it is much better to call the store and ask if they do price matches and price adjustments on BF. Because, what some people experience at their stores, might be totally different at the stores near you.

Trust me I have had this happen!

For example, the Kmart store near us will NOT price match at all because there are no other stores in the town, you have to go to the next town... BUT, the Kmart store in that town DID price match on some items. Now if they do it this year? I'd have to call and find out.

Walmart as I recall did price match on some items as well.

I'm interested in finding out about price adjustments, especially on things I know I"ll have trouble finding. I don't buy a lot of big stuff, but on dvd's and clothing, etc. I have trouble getting what I need....SO, I'll be making some calls next week :D

I have never ever been able to price match at Walmart, even between their own stores, let alone ToysRUs, KMart or Target! I live between 2 Walmarts - Exton, PA and Parkesburg, PA - and within another 20 miles of Lancaster, PA. Prices regularly differ between the Exton and Parkesburg stores all year long for the same item and neither will match the other's price if it is better. EVER. No matter if you go to customer service or not. Lancaster doesn't seem to PM either. They won't look at anybody else's ads, BF or not. :mad:

That's why the only things I buy at Walmart any more are groceries on sale. Unless their ad has some spectacular item that I really need this year, I may even be able to avoid them altogether.

I have never ever been able to price match at Walmart, even between their own stores, let alone ToysRUs, KMart or Target! I live between 2 Walmarts - Exton, PA and Parkesburg, PA - and within another 20 miles of Lancaster, PA. Prices regularly differ between the Exton and Parkesburg stores all year long for the same item and neither will match the other's price if it is better. EVER. No matter if you go to customer service or not. Lancaster doesn't seem to PM either. They won't look at anybody else's ads, BF or not. :mad:

That's why the only things I buy at Walmart any more are groceries on sale. Unless their ad has some spectacular item that I really need this year, I may even be able to avoid them altogether.

http://walmartstores.com/7659.aspx

This is a link to Wal-Marts price matching policy from their corporate website. To me this states that as a company the stores are required to price match within a certain geographical area. There are some specified rules below and it does say on another FAQ that they won't price match between Wal-Mart stores because they are not in "competition" with themselves but they should price match other stores sales if they are in the market. If your stores aren't I would call corporate. If nobody complains then how will corporate know the store is going against policy? I filed an online complaint once against my local store and it does get to management - and the manage DID call me back to resolve the issue to my satisfaction.

Years back I would buy items at Best Buy before BF and then go to the customer service dept. on BF morning and get the price adjustment.

However as of 2 years ago they told me that their price adjustment policy did not apply to the BF items. Granted I was told this at my local store and never did go any higher up than that but I was very disappointed.

Around here it seems like if you aren't in line at BB by 2 am you are not going to get any of the early bird deals.:(

I have had good luck so far with Target; last year I remember they even handed out little goodie bags to those of us standing in line. :)

Last year, I price matched b/c of this site. I didn't believe it when i read about price matching here. I thought for sure it wouldn't work.

CC had the 1080p Aquas on sale for $1200. Sears was running the 780p for $999. I sent my hubby to Sears (CC is an hour away) at 4am to get the 780p. He stood in line, but by the time he got there, they were out already.

Sooooooooo, after reading about price matching I decided to ask them later that morning when I was in Sears getting some other stuff. They said sure...not only that, but when Sears price matches, they take off an additional 10%. So, I got the better TV for $1099!!!!!

I was so happy, and recommend pming to EVERYONE!!!

• 2 weeks later...
I have a question- in my case I would like to try to price match a basketball hoop in Kmarts ad. Now, the ad reads $59.99 Portable Basketball Systems. And it has a pic of one. No models, nothing- the pic says lifetime on the board, but the ad says systems. What do you think about this?

I have been price matching at wal mart on BF for years and I LOVE IT!!!!!! Did it again today too. Saved me a trip to kmart and target. I did notice that some items other stores had cheap were not on the shelves at all, so I am guessing they took them off so they wouldn't have to price match some items. I have noticed that they do this a lot. I did manage to get quite a few things I wanted price matched, so I was happy.