Official Price Matching & Price Adjusting Discussion Thread

bigjimslade

Hello Everyone! Every year we have thousands of questions about Price Matching (PM) during the Black Friday weekend. Post your questions here in this thread so we can keep the boards clean and in order.

As a general rule MOST stores have a price matching clause during Black Friday where the stores will not price match on Black Friday.

Edited by bigjimslade

• 4 weeks later...
Last year I called the stores a head of time and price adjusted everywhere I shopped except for Walmart because they wouldn't give me a straight answer so I didn't chance it. I price adjusted at babies'r'us, target and toys'r'us. It was so easy. My hubby and I went shopping with our lists two days before Thanksgiving and then on BF I went with a friend and strolled right in with my receipts and price adjusted everything. It was great!!! I didn't have to lug gifts around because they were already at home hidden from the kiddos. Definately going to do that this year as well. Target was the best because it is always crazy at Target on BF.

I bought a gift the week before BF and then when the ad came out it was a lot cheaper. I called Target and they said they wouldn't price match. So I had to repurchase and then take it to customer service with the old receipt. So it might be certain stores not all stores.

• 1 month later...

This very useful thread has been sleeping for a while (previous post 9/4/08).

It would be great if people who have access to 2008 BF price matching or adjustment policies could post them as the season progresses. As stated before, policies and especially their application will vary by store within a chain (whether or not that is the chain policy), but it would be good to post national policies here where possible. And if anybody can copy the exact text of the policy for a certain store chain, that would be even better.

I might like to try some price matching this year for the first time.

I just received a response to my email from Target. I specifically asked about Black Friday price adjusting. The response I received was the usual stated policy that is on the wall at the customer service desk at most Target stores. It basically says that if an item is offered for a lower price in that week or the next, Target will adjust the price and refund you the difference. Did not mention specifically about black Friday, although i did ask specifically about that day. I guess they don't want to give a straight answer. But I WILL be shopping there the day BEFORE Thanksgiving then marching in there on BF with letter in hand to get my price adjustment- ready to fight if I have to!!

I would also ask your local manager as well and check your SKU numbers. Sometimes they will have special SKU numbers made so you cant price match.

I just received a response to my email from Target. I specifically asked about Black Friday price adjusting. The response I received was the usual stated policy that is on the wall at the customer service desk at most Target stores. It basically says that if an item is offered for a lower price in that week or the next, Target will adjust the price and refund you the difference. Did not mention specifically about black Friday, although i did ask specifically about that day. I guess they don't want to give a straight answer. But I WILL be shopping there the day BEFORE Thanksgiving then marching in there on BF with letter in hand to get my price adjustment- ready to fight if I have to!!

Had a horrible experience with price adjusting at target two yrs. ago. I contacted their corporate headquarters via email and verified that items in the BF ad follow the normal price two week price adjustment policy. I shopped the Wed before Thanksgiving and went into the store with my receipt and a copy of the email from their corp office on BF to have the adjustments made. I was told by every person at the customer service counter that they couldn't do it. I asked for the store manager and she too told me they wouldn't do it and she also told me that there was no way to verify that the email I had was real. My husband and I have both worked in retail in some form for 15+ years so I knew what I needed to say/threaten to get the adjustment. I told the store manager that I wanted the names and phone numbers of her district manager and regional manager. She wrote them down for me and I pulled out my cell phone to call and without saying another word, she processed the adjustment.

I have a friend that I work with whose wife is a store manager at a different Target and she does price matching all day long on BF. Apparently, the policy varies by store or the managers feel they can comply with the policy on a case by case basis.

This is awsome. I never even thaught about this for sure. Now I can get the deals at more stores. Any one know about menards?

Last year I got emails from Sears and Target stating that their policies are the same on BF as with any other day. I bought my items about 5 days in advance, then went back, email and receipt in hand. The clerk as sears did it without batting an eye. The one at Target started to give me a problem, but then I gave her the email and she did it reluctantly. I am going to try to get those emails again, though after looking at the sears ad, there is nothing I need there.

I've always priced matched at my Wal-Mart on BF. I normally run into the store manager or ask my mom (who works there) to ask him if they will price match. I've never had a problem as long as I'm price matching a store within 30 minutes of the Wal-Mart (which covers just about all the stores). It does have to be the exact same item and the ad has to state a price not a percentage off or B1G1F.

Does it say specifically in the Black Friday ads whether or not they price match (I'll still probably call the store)? I'm thinking about trying it for a few things, can you pretty much price match from any store's ads? For example can you PM things from Walmart, Best Buy, Kmart at Target?

Thanks for all the input it really helps!!

Does it say specifically in the Black Friday ads whether or not they price match (I'll still probably call the store)? I'm thinking about trying it for a few things, can you pretty much price match from any store's ads? For example can you PM things from Walmart, Best Buy, Kmart at Target?

Thanks for all the input it really helps!!

You can't price match at Target at all. Target does price adjust but they will NOT price match any other stores. Walmart does price match but you will need the ad and my store won't match another store unless the sale has started - so if I was matching a Target item on BF I would need to wait until 6 am to check-out because that is when Target opens on BF.

Last year I called the stores a head of time and price adjusted everywhere I shopped except for Walmart because they wouldn't give me a straight answer so I didn't chance it. I price adjusted at babies'r'us, target and toys'r'us. It was so easy. My hubby and I went shopping with our lists two days before Thanksgiving and then on BF I went with a friend and strolled right in with my receipts and price adjusted everything. It was great!!! I didn't have to lug gifts around because they were already at home hidden from the kiddos. Definately going to do that this year as well. Target was the best because it is always crazy at Target on BF.

This is what I do as well especially if it's an item that I think may sell out. I don't do it at Target as much as I used to because Target now does their 2 day sales and seem to be well stocked. I definitely do this at TRU. I would rather stand in line at the CS desk and get the PA. Also, I'm sure to get what I want.

I first heard about Target price adjusting items last year, so i printed off a copy of the email and actually went to my local Target store and had the manager sign the email stating that he would honor this agreement on BF. I then bought over $250 worth of items and on BF was given back over $150 and I didn't have to stand in a long line. It was well worth the effort. Hopefully Target will have some items on sale this year that I am looking for so that I can do this again.

Last year I had a nightmare with CC and price adjusting. After checking with each and every manager at the store to make sure they would do it-and showing them the printed out ad, my husband and I purchased their 46" Sharp TV that was on sale for $1200 a week before BF. After I waited in line for 2 hours on BF to get it adjusted we discovered that they had given me the wrong model number and refused to match it. I was livid...but now I know better to triple check the SKU #s. They offered to give us another TV that wasn't quite as nice, but before we accepted we checked with BB and Ultimate Electronics to see if they could do anything for us. Well, UE said they would have no problem doing a price match and we got our TV 2 weeks later (after returning the other one to CC)...so it worked out fine...but will definatly go in my books as being the worst BF ever!

I've always priced matched at my Wal-Mart on BF. I normally run into the store manager or ask my mom (who works there) to ask him if they will price match. I've never had a problem as long as I'm price matching a store within 30 minutes of the Wal-Mart (which covers just about all the stores). It does have to be the exact same item and the ad has to state a price not a percentage off or B1G1F.

There are 3 Walmarts near me and they all have this same policy. They will all price adjust as long as the store ad is local and not a gimmic sale. They advertise gimmic sales and %-age off sales and BOGO sales. Walmart has always been a pleasure doing this and the cashiers seemed well trained. I ad match my Target items at walmart, if they have them.

price match is where u are price matching another store's ad at another store

price adjusting is where u bought an item at the store and that same store has a sale on it within a certain time frame and u bring in recepit or whatever, and get the price adjusted to the lower amount

price adjusting:

target all i did was purchase items from their ad on wednesday, plus some other items i thought may have been on sale for friday, and paid full price...and then on friday after i get what i need or try to get what i need, get checked out and then do what i need to do and then go back to Target and give them my receipts to the customer service and said can u check to see if these are lower ( which i knew most were), since they arent busy at the counter...they are happy to be doing something...( they have to ring in each sku number separately...so if they are busy and u have a lot to check...this might be where some are having issues at...), but then once they go through it all, i go check stuff again as target restocks periodically all day long, get a few more items if so, and then go to car get the items that didnt go lower and go to another target and return ...simple...:D