Minivans? lol

Mara

Well since you guys know everything else lol. Hubby has OKed me getting a minivan. WOW I feel old being excited about that UGH. Now heres where I am stuck trying to figure out whats the best deal in the long run. I thought maybe someone here might have some input. I have read and done my homework. I'm torn between a used roughly 2 years old Toyota Seinna or a new Dodge Caravan. Same price for both. The Toyota is rates as more reliable in the long run based on its track record. This is where I'm torn since it will be roughly the same amount either way I don't know whats the better deal. Caravan with all the warrenty stuff or Toyota rated better by consumer reports. Anyone have either one or have any thought. I'm also game for tips anyone has on getting the best deal out of the dealers. I plan to be a ball bustin witch not gonna get screwed no no no :2football

Thanks Mara

What's your budget?

looking to keep the payment around $400 to $420 a month. We are tax exempt because hubby is active duty military. If we go with New we should qualify for the 0% intrest rate so were looking at a budget of $22000 to $24000 could go as high as $25000 maybe

Rossy recommending the Honda Odyssey in 3...2...

I read those are great but they seem to get a bit out of our range. I could look at used ones of those to hummmmm. I have owned 2 toyota's and those suckers run forever. Not to family with the Honda but its tied up with the Toyota Seinna on Consumer reports. I just want something that won't break and will be good for hauling kids. Once we get a van shortly there after hubbys quest for a boy will begin again. got 2 girls so far. This is his last shot (literally) LMAO

If you can find a copy of last weekends newspaper, are there any new auto ads in it?

I'll try to locate ours and give you a rough idea of how much new Sienna's and Caravan's are selling for. These are LOSS LEADER prices, roughly $1000 - $3500 below MSRP.

A few more questions:

• Are you a member or CostCo or Sam's Club? Do you have either of these warehouses near you?
  • Are you a member of AAA?
  • Do you belong to a credit union?

We have a sams club. I was a member and was considering joining again. Not with AAA and we can very easily join the Army credit union. How does Sams club help? Not thinking new on the Toyota since its about $10,000 more than the caravan new. I was thinking 2003 ish. I'm now reading up more on the honda.

Thanks for the help :)

If you can find a copy of last weekends newspaper, are there any new auto ads in it?

I'll try to locate ours and give you a rough idea of how much new Sienna's and Caravan's are selling for. These are LOSS LEADER prices, roughly $1000 - $3500 below MSRP.

I can try to so I can look. Thanks for the advice

Mara! You're here too?! Um, I mean, I don't know you--but I haven't seen anyone else here at Campbell at gottadeal.com so I'm excited!

For what it's worth, we got our minivan (Dodge Grand Caravan) down at Carmax in Nashville. The local places are all horrible, or at least they were when I was looking. Vans with 80,000 miles were going for over $10K. Stay away from 41-A! LOL

Also, Mara--see what kind of interest rate the dealer can give you and then check with the credit union on post. The credit union is touting themselves as having lower interest rates. Or, get whatever the dealer will give you, and then take advantage of the credit union's offer to lower interest by 2% if you refinance with them...they offer that deal every so often.

Mara! You're here too?! Um, I mean, I don't know you--but I haven't seen anyone else here at Campbell at gottadeal.com so I'm excited!

For what it's worth, we got our minivan (Dodge Grand Caravan) down at Carmax in Nashville. The local places are all horrible, or at least they were when I was looking. Vans with 80,000 miles were going for over $10K. Stay away from 41-A! LOL

Yup were here :) moving on post in 2 weeks. Been here 2 1/2 years though. I plan to brouse and test drive a few around here friday just to get a feel for them and see what they offer. I plan to make it crystal clear I am looking at other dealers with the same vans and also looking at other model vans and will buy the best deal period. I learned my leason with my last car. I won't mentio trade or finace rates until we settle on a price for the van. Then we will talk LOW finacing. I'm gonna get a quote from my bank to and will only go with them if they beat it. I will also keep the trade in stuff seprate and handel it one at a time. I hear thats the best way to do it.

How long you been here at campbell :greenappl

Also, Mara--see what kind of interest rate the dealer can give you and then check with the credit union on post. The credit union is touting themselves as having lower interest rates. Or, get whatever the dealer will give you, and then take advantage of the credit union's offer to lower interest by 2% if you refinance with them...they offer that deal every so often.

Thats a good idea thanks. Well if we go with new with the caravan we should get 0% so I'd like to see them beat that lol. I am just so torn. The Honda and Toyota seem to rate better. Then again they claim they redid the Caravan and it should be better now. How do you like your Caravan?

Good plan. The farther away from the base you get, the better the deals are too. The local places are mainly geared towards the single soldiers with money to burn. As you get closer to Nashville or Bowling Green the prices tend to get better. We got a 2000 Grand Caravan in 2003 for under $12000...with warranty, financing, etc we're paying around $250/mo. So I'd be wary of something costing you $400/mo unless it's brand-spanking new.

We've been here 3 years. Off post for 6 months, on post for 2.5 yrs.

Thats a good idea thanks. Well if we go with new with the caravan we should get 0% so I'd like to see them beat that lol. I am just so torn. The Honda and Toyota seem to rate better. Then again they claim they redid the Caravan and it should be better now. How do you like your Caravan?

I like our Caravan a lot. It's our first vehicle with power windows, etc. and I really like that! It's roomy enough for all of us (2 boys and a girl, ages 5, 3 and 1...and then dh and I of course), I can put the double stroller plus two weeks' worth of groceries in the back...it's great. We've had an issue lately of the driver's side window getting stuck down but we got the credit union's extended warranty on it so we can have that fixed for free. Nothing else wrong with it. And Carmax was pretty easy to deal with, considering I was financing through the credit union and doing so via power of attorney since dh was deployed but it had to be in both our names as he has the job LOL.

Good plan. The farther away from the base you get, the better the deals are too. The local places are mainly geared towards the single soldiers with money to burn. As you get closer to Nashville or Bowling Green the prices tend to get better. We got a 2000 Grand Caravan in 2003 for under $12000...with warranty, financing, etc we're paying around $250/mo. So I'd be wary of something costing you $400/mo unless it's brand-spanking new.

We've been here 3 years. Off post for 6 months, on post for 2.5 yrs.

Well the Toyota's hold there value I guess thats why they are so pricey even used. Yeah hubby is off friday so he will watch the kids while I get a feel for whats out there. Then when I buy I'll take him with so they don't try to screw over the cute lil 5'2 woman lol. I'm getting pretty visious about saving my pennys. Hey spent 4 hours in line on black friday at the PX to get that carpet cleaner for $80 and 6 hours in line in the rain at the case lot sale for TP cheaper than SAMs sells it for lol I'm going with a folder full of spcs blue book values MSRP and Invoice cost, Consumer reports rating and all of it. I'm there worst nightmare lol

Good job. They always try to screw over the stupid people and it's so nice to go in there totally knowing your stuff. :D

Hey, I just got all curious, remembering there was someone here at Black Friday talking about vacuums or carpet cleaners or something, so I did a search and it was you! LOL. I was all happy to run into someone from here back in November too. Well, I'm happy you're still here, ROFL. I'm the one that was camped out at Sears while you were in that PX line.

Good job. They always try to screw over the stupid people and it's so nice to go in there totally knowing your stuff. :D

Hey, I just got all curious, remembering there was someone here at Black Friday talking about vacuums or carpet cleaners or something, so I did a search and it was you! LOL. I was all happy to run into someone from here back in November too. Well, I'm happy you're still here, ROFL. I'm the one that was camped out at Sears while you were in that PX line.

I did the PX on black friday and the next day lol. Got the $25 gift card as the first 100 in the door and got an additional 10% off the sale price of one itme. It was worth it lol. Yup still here. I love these guys my bank account loves them to :greenappl

what about sterling marlin here in dickson,have you tried them?I know chrysler/dodge vans have had their problems in the past with transmissions too,but seem to have had those problems fixed.

nope not yet. Now I'm getting a feel for whats out there. Trying to figure out if Honda, Toyota or Dodge is the way to go. Then when I zero in on a model I'll start hitting the dealerships in hunt of the right deal

I cannot emphasize enough how important it is to shop around for a good auto loan rate. American Honda Finance approved us for 10.50% but I didn't care and signed the papers. 1 year later after making on time payments, we re-financed with a local credit union for only 3.99%. This was in 2003 on a 2002 vehcile, so it was still considered as a "new vehicle". I'm not sure how the Army CU works but I would see what rates they can offer you. Shop around for rates BEFORE going to the car dealership.

As ActuaryTm said you should also consider the Honda Odyssey. The Toyota Sienna was recently redesigned and is the minivan to buy. Since you're looking at a 2 year old model, I would looker more at the Honda Odyssey.

One of the best resources for auto buying is Edmunds.com

Read all of this :)

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/Drives/Comparos/articleId=101676

And I'm sure you know, but pay attention to mileage. A 2-year-old car with 60,000 miles won't last you as long as a 4-year-old car with 30,000. So the Toyota that is older and the Dodge that is brand new may be even in price but make sure the Toyota's miles are still nice and low. I have found that cars start falling apart once they pass about 60,000. If all you'll do is drive around on post, ok, but if you're making cross-country trips to visit family, you'll hit that magic "fall apart" mark a lot faster.

EDIT: Also, about the FCFCU: They finance 90% of what they determine to be the value of the vehicle. The remaining cost is your down payment. They go by NADA values for the most part. So it might be good to see what the vehicles you're looking at are worth at www.nada.org.

And I'm sure you know, but pay attention to mileage. A 2-year-old car with 60,000 miles won't last you as long as a 4-year-old car with 30,000. So the Toyota that is older and the Dodge that is brand new may be even in price but make sure the Toyota's miles are still nice and low. I have found that cars start falling apart once they pass about 60,000. If all you'll do is drive around on post, ok, but if you're making cross-country trips to visit family, you'll hit that magic "fall apart" mark a lot faster.

EDIT: Also, about the FCFCU: They finance 90% of what they determine to be the value of the vehicle. The remaining cost is your down payment. They go by NADA values for the most part. So it might be good to see what the vehicles you're looking at are worth at www.nada.org.

Well Toyota's live forever lol. I have a 95 corrola with almost 100,000 miles and it runs fine never done a thing but basic matinance. I know people with toyota's with 200,000 that run fine. I hear good things about the Honda to but not as great about the Dodge but suppsadly the new one is better than pat ones. This is where I'm trying to figure out what would be the better deal. Thanks for the tip about the credit union

I cannot emphasize enough how important it is to shop around for a good auto loan rate. American Honda Finance approved us for 10.50% but I didn't care and signed the papers. 1 year later after making on time payments, we re-financed with a local credit union for only 3.99%. This was in 2003 on a 2002 vehcile, so it was still considered as a "new vehicle". I'm not sure how the Army CU works but I would see what rates they can offer you. Shop around for rates BEFORE going to the car dealership.

As ActuaryTm said you should also consider the Honda Odyssey. The Toyota Sienna was recently redesigned and is the minivan to buy. Since you're looking at a 2 year old model, I would looker more at the Honda Odyssey.

One of the best resources for auto buying is Edmunds.com

Read all of this :)

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/Drives/Comparos/articleId=101676

Thanks Ross those are some great tips

Any way GottaDeal.com could work out some affiliate commission with Honda?

I am hanging around Ross too much, aren't I?

Are you sure you want a minivan? Have you looked at some some large SUVs (obviously base models)?

The reason I say this is because I'd take a look at the new Honda Pilot - It's the same platform as the Honda Odessy, but in general a more comfortable car for the driver, while at the same time having the amount of room as a minivan. The base models are advertised in the papers for around 24K, so if that's in your budget I wouldn't rule it out of the picture. If you have a chance, drive a minivan and then a Pilot - You'll notice a very big difference.

/me puts on flamesuit for suggesting an SUV.

Two things I'd wonder about those extra-big SUVs:

1) How bad is the gas mileage? Minivans really aren't that bad and SUVs in general are.

2) When there are 3 rows of seating, do you have any cargo space left? I need all 3 rows of seats in my minivan and I also need room for the stroller, groceries, etc. I've seen some SUVs that advertise they seat "up to" 7 or 8 but the 3rd row basically eliminates all cargo space.