Official "Dude I'm Getting a Dell Laptop" Thread

Brad

Use this thread to brag about your new laptop. Feel free to post the specs you decided on and the price you got it for after using the coupon.

Also, we have posted a few deals this morning for various laptop accessories, so be sure to check them out:

http://forums.gottadeal.com/showthread.php?t=7667 - RAM Upgrade

http://forums.gottadeal.com/showthread.php?t=7666 - Notebook Mouse

http://forums.gottadeal.com/showthread.php?t=7665 - Luggage Case

http://forums.gottadeal.com/showthread.php?t=7664 - PocketSpeakers

http://forums.gottadeal.com/showthread.php?t=7663 - Security & More

http://forums.gottadeal.com/showthread.php?t=7662 - Slip Cases

If anyone has any other recommended accessories, please share them with your fellow laptop owners in this thread.

:greenappl

Ok, I went with a basic 700m:

Pentium-M 725

256 MB RAM

40 GB HD

8 cell battery

2-year limited warranty.

The final price after tax is $762. I used a 2% coupon code for using my Dell Preferred Account.

I was going to get a DVD burner, but I felt that the $100 would be better used towards extra RAM and a bigger, faster HD. The 4200 RPM drive is slow

Comments?

Nice touch on the laptop accessories deal, Brad - make sure you put it somewhere more visible. :g_thumbri

All those were posted on the main site, in the daily deals forum on here, and linked to in this thread.

I really want that V500 mouse. It's supposed to be very nice from all the reviews I've seen.

I got a nicely loaded 6000 for $777 plus tax so it came to $831 total. Will be nice to replace this hunker Compaq I have now. I got the Pentium 1.6 (this is the only thing im worried about as the one I have now is 2.0 and is still slow), XP Pro, 40GB hard drive, 512MB memory (saw the cheaper upgrade at newegg, but really dont want to deal with it) 24x CD burner/DVD, Adobe publish to PDF as I need this for work but currently have to pay the $9.99 subscription to adobe. Cant wait to get it :)

Sorry, let me give more details (I got this via AT)

It's a Hitachi Travelstar 7K60 60GB ATA-6 2.5" Notebook Hard Drive, and if you search under 08K0939, you'll find it for $179.99. Use coupon T$0DQDJ8X4N7M2 to get it to $139.99.

Hope this is more helpful.

I think it's worth the extra $35 for the 7200 RPMs, but I'm wondering if it will add too much heat and suck up too much battery power. Anybody have any thoughts on this?

That's a very good question.

Since we're talking laptops, I think portability and battery power are very important. So I would probably opt for the cheaper 5400rpm which dissipates less heat and doesn't suck up as much battery power. Of course if you have a "desktop replacement" laptop (9300/XPS) I would go all out and get the 7200rpm.

I was thinking that as well. I just got the 700m, and since portability is the key there, I'm thinking the 5400 RPM is better way to go.

That's a very good question.

Since we're talking laptops, I think portability and battery power are very important. So I would probably opt for the cheaper 5400rpm which dissipates less heat and doesn't suck up as much battery power. Of course if you have a "desktop replacement" laptop (9300/XPS) I would go all out and get the 7200rpm.

...but I'm wondering if it will add too much heat and suck up too much battery power. Anybody have any thoughts on this?

No noticable difference in battery performance, nor weight. Definitely a performance increase in so far as notable speed differential, especially between 4200 RPM and 7200 RPM.

To confirm such, you might check the Dell section of Notebookforums.com.

No noticable difference in battery performance, nor weight. Definitely a performance increase in so far as notable speed differential, especially between 4200 RPM and 7200 RPM.

To confirm such, you might check the Dell section of Notebookforums.com.

I did some searching over at notebookforums.com and what I've read seems to agree with you. Looks like the 7200 RPM drive should be just fine.

hey evry 1, im new here, i was planning on buying a dell laptop which ould be a desktop replacement. the XPS GEN II is just outa my budget so i found this great deal on a 6000M wit 34% off on the dell site, the only thing it lacks is a good video card. i was wondering if it was possible to upgrade my video card n if it would be a feasible option? Also my budget is max $2000 so if u think sum other laptop wud be better suited to my needs or a high end laptop with a great deal on it, plz let me know

Welcome to GottaDeal, shalashaska!

Take a look at the Dell Inspiron 9300. Upgrade the screen to UXGA and the video card to the 256mb Nvidia GeForce Go6800. You can buy memory and hard drive upgrades cheaper (usually) than you can get them with the system.

Thanx for the info guys. i have decided to go with a loaded 9300 availing a 35% off or $750 coupon if there is 1. im new to this whole coupon deal so i was wondering if there was ne way to store coupon n utilise them in the future. Im a total noob :$

Dell coupons usually have expiration dates or they expire after a specified number of uses. They really don't last more than a couple of week, at the longest. I would suggest that you wait until you are in the States, and check out the current Dell deals.