Has anyone on GD tried Magic Jack?

Yes, I know that. We leave the PC on 24/7 anyway (not sure why we do, it's not used very often).

Okay, now for the report on Magic Jack:

I have not used it but my DD has a handful of times and every call was dropped!

I really like the times she was on it and I could use my regular land line, but it doesn't seem worth it. I'll give it another week or so, but it looks like it will be going back. :(

Any more updates Su-Z-Q? I'm still contemplating getting it but still need to hear a little bit more feedback from an actual user.

We've had MagicJack since Feb of 08 and have been very pleased with it. None of our calls have been dropped. For those we have called they have always said it seems like your next door.

The only draw back is that where we live they didn't support our local area code. So we're in NC and have a FL phone number. Not that this is a problem, just had to make family and friends aware that it's us calling and not some TM.

But we're doing good so far.

I haven't seen a link on their website that lets you know what area codes are available? Do you have to call them to find out? I would much rather keep my NY number.

Thank your DH for his service. http://s23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/Marcster2005/Smileypad/Flags/usa2.gif

I think a lot of the issues you are having with Skype have to do with the distance that the voice data has to travel... If you use Skype for a domestic call, do you have the same troubles?

Thank you Marcster, I will! :D

Since I posted about the Skype, I'm thinking it is the Iraqi internet service that DH has, it is bad at best (and expensive). I have never used Skype other than to talk to him. I'll have to try to find someone within the USA to Skype.

Any more updates Su-Z-Q? I'm still contemplating getting it but still need to hear a little bit more feedback from an actual user.

Yes, but it's not positive.

I had to dump the hard drive on my computer, did that and after everything was reinstalled, I plugged in magicjack. Magicjack will not work now at all. I spent hours on line chatting with what they call tech support and never did get it going!

BEWARE- they 30 day free trial starts the day they send it!!! Today is technically my 30th day, but the tech support chick said that I was out of may trial period and couldn't return it. You might say I'm pissed since I haven't had it 30 days!

Yeah read my post on Beware of Magic Jack

What till the bank takes out more money than authorized too, espcially since we

never even received the product due to their error (wrong address)

The bank said we will never hear from them, you cannot get anyone by phone as their

mailbox is full always...I don't beleive it ever is able to take a message.

The BBB has tons of complaints on them and they have had run ins with the attorney

general as well.

I had to close my bank account, cancel any auto pays, get a new credit and debit card

and new checks...it is a nightmare.

IMHO STAY AWAY FROM MAGIC JACK...trust me. Luckily my bank is not charging me for

the bounced check charges as they know these charges from MJ are fradulent. But the

hassle I have gone through is terrible and their CS at MJ does not seem to speak English

as their primary language....they answered in very "programmed" answers

• 2 weeks later...

I have had a very bad ongoing experience with this company. Obviously some people have not had a problem. But just try to get your money back if it doesn't work as advertised. This is a buyer beware product. I am not an isolated unsatisfied customer, just check for various complaints at various sites.

You have been warned.

Ok so far so good with magic jack. Maybe my trials and tribulations would start at the end of the 30 day trial. I have it installed on a very old computer and bought an extra ethernet cable so I can connect it to the internet. My only problem so far is that when the computer goes on stand by you have to reboot. Very annoying. I may keep it since it's so cheap but I have no plans on disconnecting my other phone service. I haven't been charged yet since my 30 day trial haven't expired but I paid through Paypal so I'm hoping that part wouldn't be a problem. I'll update if it is.

I saw an infomercial for magicjack around 1am this morning. I changed the channel quickly, so they (those crazy infomercial gods) would not have the opportunity to try and convince me that I could not live without it. :tongue1:

Magic Jack Complaint :DONT ORDER THIS USING A DEBIT CARD THEY CHARGE YOU RIGHT AWAY. Sorry for the all caps but this is not posted anywhere on there site. The product is awesome so far but they don't warn you at all about charging you when using a debit card, and yes mine had the mastercard logo on it.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

I saw in one of their recent commercials that MJ is now available at Radio Shack.

I still don't think I'm game enough to give it a try, but if I were, I'd like the fact that I could buy it locally at Radio Shack and return it if I had any problems (depending on their return policies).

We have one... It works great UNLESS something else is running on the desktop (like our slingbox) and we're trying to use the magicjack at the same time, then it cuts out, has static makes echos etc etc. It's been ok though for the most part, saves us a ton of $$ because all my friends/family are in Canada so I use it on a daily basis....well I should say DID use it on a daily basis, that was until we got unlimited calling to Canada on my DH's cell phone for work.. Now I use that.

• 5 months later...

Thought I would give this thread a little CPR. The MagicJack is in the CVS ad today for 39 bucks. So, those of you who wanted to try it would have an easier time of returning it if you wanted to.

I read all of the old posts and I did not see any comment from those of you who had it about the adware. How is it presented? Pop ups? Banner? How frequently?

Anyone change their minds one way or the other since this thread was last active?

We bought MJ last year and it no longer works:shock: Only worked (about half) for about 3 months, then we couldn't get it to work anymore. Our local Radio Shack says they can't keep them in stock though:confused:

My opinion...Don't waste your $$

Hi All,

I've had MagicJack for over a year now....love it!!! It will not allow you to keep your landline phone number but we had just moved into a new house so this was perfect for us.

I use it daily and have never had any problems. I have a verizon cell phone and I use the magicjack to call any numbers that aren't verizon. Sure cuts down on the minutes on cell phone!

Works well and does not slow down my computer. I had it installed on all 3 of computers so that I can plug the device into any of them and use it. Decided to remove it from the oldest laptop as I barely use that computer anymore. As others have said, it's a bit of a pain to remove it but I went on the Live Chat on their website and the person I talked to was able to walk me through it. Not a big deal.

Good deal if you don't mind a new phone number!

Michelle