Has anyone on GD tried Magic Jack?

Magic Jack Official Site

Never pay a monthly phone bill again! Free local and long distance calling in the USA and Canada. They are offering a 30 day free trial.

I have been seeing the infomercials and my brother states that his friend owns one and it works great. If it works as well as it says it does then I'm all for it since I pay $35/month for local and long distance to anywhere in the US and Canada presently. But $20 for a WHOLE YEAR sounds so much better. I haven't been able to find much reviews so please let me know if anyone online here has it and what are your feelings.

My sister is currently using one. My cousin bought it because he is currently in the process of going through a Russian adoption and the sole purpose for him buying it is to use it while in Russia. He gave it to my sister to the remainder of the time. She calls me using it all the time. I guess she had a few problems with the initial set up but finally figured that out. The only problems we have had in about 20 conversations using it thus far is that you get a random beeping sound coming from her end. It sounds like someone is pressing one of the numbers periodically on the number pad on her phone. We got cut off once. However, the majority of the time it is a clear sound. I would say it is definitely worth the money for the price they charge.

My sister is currently using one. My cousin bought it because he is currently in the process of going through a Russian adoption and the sole purpose for him buying it is to use it while in Russia. He gave it to my sister to the remainder of the time. She calls me using it all the time. I guess she had a few problems with the initial set up but finally figured that out. The only problems we have had in about 20 conversations using it thus far is that you get a random beeping sound coming from her end. It sounds like someone is pressing one of the numbers periodically on the number pad on her phone. We got cut off once. However, the majority of the time it is a clear sound. I would say it is definitely worth the money for the price they charge.

Thanks for the info. If it's going to save me hundreds a year then I'm all for it. But I wanted to hear someone's first hand experience before I got it. I do a lot of calling to Canada (my bro lives there) and Florida and the price just seemed too good to be true.

Thank you for asking about this...I knew nothing about it but I just ordered one and can't wait to try it!!!

I'm still hesitant about buying it though. Let me know how it works for you. I need to hear a few more users before I go out and get it. Still a skeptic. :gdchatter:

So, you still have to have an active landland for this to work? So you'd still be paying to maintain a phone line in the house?

Apparently not. You just need a computer with internet connection. It's almost like vonage but you only pay $20 for an entire year. I may be wrong but if you click on the link it explains it all.

I seen this yesterday and was going to ask also if anybody has any first hand info on this product.......I have dial up and was wondering if I can put my computer on this and my phone will be freed up and not need call wave any more.

this sounds good but does anybody know any consumer ratings on it or BBB complaints etc:confused:

When it sounds too good to be true......:yup:

It does say that their is a 30 day free trial. Also do you they give you a phone number?

We got rid of our house phone a while ago but do have DSL internet.

any info is appreciated

OK I went to the web site and spoke to CS (via the computer) and they say their is no

additional fees and no extra fees to the people calling you etc.

I might just try the free 30 day offer and see

Let me know what happens. I'm still waiting to hear someone's first hand experience. I must admit I'm still a little skeptic about the whole thing even with the 30 day free trial offer.

I seen this yesterday and was going to ask also if anybody has any first hand info on this product.......I have dial up and was wondering if I can put my computer on this and my phone will be freed up and not need call wave any more.

You CAN NOT use this with dial up, here is the info fromt he site...

What do I need to get started (requirements)?

Any computer with Windows XP or Vista operating system; (Mac/Apple will be available any day.)

One of the following: broadband, high-speed internet, cable internet, DSL, WiFi or WiMax

Your present corded or cordless telephone

OK I ordered it. They don't even charge your credit card until the 31st day..so if I don't like

it then I cancel it prior to the 31st day and I pay nothing.

I hope it really works..$20 a year :eek: My DS is going to England for the fall semester and

we only have cells so I needed a way to call him that was affordable..I hope this is my

solution.

I will let you know how it is after I get it:tongue1:

There's a lot of things that it won't allow you to do.....YET.

There's some good info here, with problems people have had, upcoming advancements, etc;

Unofficial MagicJack Forum

I was almost to the 'submit' section of the free try-out, but read about many of the problems people are having with cancelling the "free" trial and having their credit card charged.

And there's also problems related to people getting a busy signal when the system is overloaded - and the voicemail not working properly then, either. Oh, and the caller ID feature not working for many.

The MAIN reason I didn't buy it? The software/adware that gets installed on your computer, required during the installation process, that cannot be easily uninstalled if you no longer want the product. Apparently, that's how they're trying to recoup their money, is by the adware. Not a huge issue for me, I could toss together a junk computer just to run the software, but for 90% of everyone else, this could be a problem. If this stuff is reporting who and where you're calling (hasn't been confirmed one way or another yet), that's an important privacy issue for me.

I did google some other websites and so far I have only found one negative comment on

magicjack. Like I said I have ordered it and it should be here Mon, Tues and I will let you

know.

My coworkers sister has it (they are from Africa and India) and they LOVE IT!! I also found out that when my DS goes to England for the semester..he can take it with him and there

is then no fee for international calls...the jack is assigned at number and it will work anywhere as long as there is internet connection

The MAIN reason I didn't buy it? The software/adware that gets installed on your computer, required during the installation process, that cannot be easily uninstalled if you no longer want the product. Apparently, that's how they're trying to recoup their money, is by the adware. Not a huge issue for me, I could toss together a junk computer just to run the software, but for 90% of everyone else, this could be a problem. If this stuff is reporting who and where you're calling (hasn't been confirmed one way or another yet), that's an important privacy issue for me.

Bingo! Smallwood hit it right on the head!

From the Magic Jack TOS (Terms of Service):

11. Advertisements

You also understand and agree that use of the magicJack device and Software will include advertisements and that these advertisements are necessary for the magicJack device to work and for the service to be free in the first year of the agreement (and subsequent licenses to be at minimal cost). Advertisements will be served through the magicPage™ Software. magicPage™ Software attempts to serve local advertisements and classifieds using a completely automated process that enables us to effectively target dynamically changing content. Our computers may analyze the phone numbers you call in order to improve the relevance of the ads. We do not provide any personal information to our advertisers or third parties. magicJack has a policy of restricting advertisers that it believes are inappropriate, but it does not guarantee the accuracy or integrity of any advertisers and does not endorse any of the advertisements that may appear in connection with use of the magicJack device. You also understand and agree that use of the magicJack device and Software may include certain communications, such as service announcements, administrative messages and newsletters, and you will not be able to opt out of receiving them.

http://www.magicjack.com/1/tos.asp

The adware service is bad enough, but the tie-in to the required "service announcements" is the deal breaker -- imagine wanting to make a call and having to sit through a 30-second pre-recorded commercial before your outbound call starts dialing. That may sound far-fetched, but it is certainly within their TOS.

Also, they don't say where these ads will display, they may be banner ads within the Magic Jack software, or they could be pop-ups that appear randomly while using your computer or surfing the 'net.

Sometimes a deal is too good to be true.

Compare what you have to give up to Skype's Skype-in service which is unlimited calls in and unlimited calls to US and Canada for $8.00/month, still much cheaper than Vonage but without the sneakiness of Magic Jack's adware service.

I just received mine and have to hook it up. I will post when I do.

I'm not worried even after reading Marcster's post, as I will be putting it on a desktop computer.

The only person in the house that really even uses that pc is a six year old. The rest of us use our laptops!

I just received mine and have to hook it up. I will post when I do.

I'm not worried even after reading Marcster's post, as I will be putting it on a desktop computer.

The only person in the house that really even uses that pc is a six year old. The rest of us use our laptops!

You'll have to leave that computer on all the time to make and receive calls -- turn off the computer and inbound calls go to voicemail...

You'll have to leave that computer on all the time to make and receive calls -- turn off the computer and inbound calls go to voicemail...

Yes, I know that. We leave the PC on 24/7 anyway (not sure why we do, it's not used very often).

Okay, now for the report on Magic Jack:

I have not used it but my DD has a handful of times and every call was dropped!

I really like the times she was on it and I could use my regular land line, but it doesn't seem worth it. I'll give it another week or so, but it looks like it will be going back. :(

Yes, I know that. We leave the PC on 24/7 anyway (not sure why we do, it's not used very often).

Okay, now for the report on Magic Jack:

I have not used it but my DD has a handful of times and every call was dropped!

I really like the times she was on it and I could use my regular land line, but it doesn't seem worth it. I'll give it another week or so, but it looks like it will be going back. :(

Can I suggest Skype as a replacement??? Occasionally calls get a little static or echo-y, but they never "drop". For casual conversation, Skype is tough to beat.

Unlimited outgoing-only calling is about $3/month (USA & Canada).

If you want a phone number (to allow incoming calls) and voicemail, it's essentially $5 more/month.

You can buy a Skype-compatible phone that plugs into your router so you won't need to keep a computer on 24/7...

Can I suggest Skype as a replacement??? Occasionally calls get a little static or echo-y, but they never "drop". For casual conversation, Skype is tough to beat.

Unlimited outgoing-only calling is about $3/month (USA & Canada).

If you want a phone number (to allow incoming calls) and voicemail, it's essentially $5 more/month.

You can buy a Skype-compatible phone that plugs into your router so you won't need to keep a computer on 24/7...

Oh, Marcster I wish! Skype is REALLY bad. That is the means of communication between my DH and myself while he is in Iraq. The call quality is very bad, calls are dropped (almost every call) and the sound quality is inconsistent. The only reason that we stick with it is because it is much faster than letters and not fifty cents per minute via land line. I takes much longer to communicate via Skype, but for the money that's what we will do.

Oh, Marcster I wish! Skype is REALLY bad. That is the means of communication between my DH and myself while he is in Iraq. The call quality is very bad, calls are dropped (almost every call) and the sound quality is inconsistent. The only reason that we stick with it is because it is much faster than letters and not fifty cents per minute via land line. I takes much longer to communicate via Skype, but for the money that's what we will do.

Thank your DH for his service. http://s23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/Marcster2005/Smileypad/Flags/usa2.gif

I think a lot of the issues you are having with Skype have to do with the distance that the voice data has to travel... If you use Skype for a domestic call, do you have the same troubles?

We've had MagicJack since Feb of 08 and have been very pleased with it. None of our calls have been dropped. For those we have called they have always said it seems like your next door.

The only draw back is that where we live they didn't support our local area code. So we're in NC and have a FL phone number. Not that this is a problem, just had to make family and friends aware that it's us calling and not some TM.

But we're doing good so far.