Ebay shipping

This is so true! I was just telling the lady at the PO yesterday how I hate standing in line to ship to another country but they are my best customers. They don't mind the shipping and they usually bid higher because their dollar is more valuable than ours. I ship a lot to the north during the winter. It is easier for them to do things online then get out in 10 feet of snow.

I only sell every once in a while on Ebay. I don't try to make money off of shipping. Sometimes I do sometimes I don't and it evens out for me. I have never had a person complain about my shipping charges...thank goodness! I don't think eBay will ever change. It may only get worse. I don't buy on eBay anymore only sell.

You can scheduele a pickup at your home and print the postage for International shipments on your computer. The postal worker will come to your door and pick the International packages up! So you dont have to go to the post office anymore! :)

Ebay used to be the only place I bought baby formula from... for whatever reason I could never find the Nestle Good Start withOUT dha in the stores. Or if I did it was only 1 can or in a format that I didn't want. (i wanted powder not pre-mixed).

So I bought it online - some people were outrageous and would outright lie about how much the stuff would retail for in stores.

However, you'd find the few that were reasonable. And if it meant I could get 6 or more BIG cans of formula at a good price with reasonable shipping - I did it! Reason being is I wasn't paying that 8.1% tax, and I didn't have to drive 45minutes to get it. At the time our closest store was 45minutes away, and rarely had the formula I needed.

Most of my stuff that I've sold have been the garage sale type - clothes my daughter has outgrown or never wore. Like that first christmas where 6 people gave her christmas dresses as presents, and I had already gotten her one. I've sold books, clothes I no longer fit. I've sold the nutrisystem and alli. In fact the nutrisystem was one of my highest auctions. The highest auction I ever had was roughly $330.

I don't make a living off ebay. If I had the time to get it started I would as I do make custom christening gowns and children's furniture.

I think these new fees hurt the small seller more than the ebay stores. I could be wrong.

I do get irritated over the star ratings - I give people the option of media mail, parcel post, and priority. 9 times out of 10 they choose media. I tell them the exact weight of the items in the listing and that there is a $2 handling fee. Then they come back and complain about the shipping time (media mail is slooooooow) and they complain about the costs! Well.. shoot. I was upfront, I don't know what else I can do!

I will probably only sell on there now for big items.

As for shopping there... I will continue to buy my saucony's there if it's a good price. I've stopped buying carnival/depression glass because of poor shipping technique.

sorry. novel.

You can scheduele a pickup at your home and print the postage for International shipments on your computer. The postal worker will come to your door and pick the International packages up! So you dont have to go to the post office anymore! :)

But do you have to mail it global priority? The reason I had to go the other day was because my scale only goes up to 3 lbs and the box weighed more than that.

Well, I have tried out my own website and was able to market to all of my previous Ebay customers. The site was great and professional and was selling. But, the bulk of my business was still Ebay and I did not have a system that would take an item out of my EBay inventory if it sells on the website. I had a lot of problems with my inventory. I also had a baby which made it extremely hard for me to run the website and Ebay at the same time. Although it is practically free (For me since my DH is a web designer, www.girlicity.com) I just could not beat the amount of traffic and volume of sales that Ebay gave me. After much thought, I decided to go back to Ebay and put the site on hold for a while. Ebay is a major outlet to sell, are well known and they do all of the advertising for you. So no other alternatives for me at this time :(

Hi Bellsandbabies, can you tell me how to do the international packages yourself so all that you have to do is hand it to the postal worker? Because I always need to take mine to the post office, and it looks so complicated what they're doing. They're sticking customs forms all over the package and I don't know what else.

I tried printing the international postage once and it printed out like 5 pages! I had no idea what to do.

Hi Bellsandbabies, can you tell me how to do the international packages yourself so all that you have to do is hand it to the postal worker? Because I always need to take mine to the post office, and it looks so complicated what they're doing. They're sticking customs forms all over the package and I don't know what else.

I tried printing the international postage once and it printed out like 5 pages! I had no idea what to do.

I will be happy to help! What you will need to do is either get these at the post office or order them FREE online at the postal website. Depending on how you will be shipping, I keep a stock of all of these:

Global Priority Mail Tyvec Envelopes (Trackable online, based on weight, cost varies around $20-$30 - Prints out 2 pages, you cut in half and keep one for yourself. Be sure to sign and date all 3 and put it in the Custom form envelope that stcks on the front of the package along with receipt of purchase for customs officials)

Global Priority Mail Flat Rate Boxes (Not Trackable online - I dont use much but can cost around $35 to ship. Prints just like the Tyvec)

Global Priority Mail Flat Rate Envelopes (I use these the most because it is the cheapest but are NOT trackable online, - Can fit up to a pair of jeans, costs around $10 - Label will print out on half a sheet and needs to be printed on a shipping label so all you do is peel and stick onto the envelope. Make sure to sign and date it)

Global Express Tyvec Envelopes (Safeset and quickest and most expensive option and includes insurance - Can cost around $30 - Prints 2 sheets just like Priority. Make sure to fill in the insured amount, sign and date)

Customs Form Envelope 2976E (You will need this for everything EXCEPT the Priority Flat Rate - It is a clear envelope that you stick on the package and insert shipping information)

Also, you will need some regular printer paper and shipping label printer paper. You can buy the shipping label printer paper (Half the sheet is a removable sticker).

All you do is click on "Print Postage" from your Ebay page or you can do it directly from Paypal. You will need to fill in the weight and the Custom form information.

This is very very very important...Never Ever mark an item as a gift or a lower value than what they paid for it. Customs officials are on to this and will often not let your package through. You should ALWAYS include a receipt in the package for customs officials to see proof of purchase.

Then you can go online to USPS and scheduele a pickup of your packages. Even though it says that you have to ship it out the same day the label was printed, you can ship it out the next day without any problems.

I hope this helps.

So they open up the packages to see what's inside??? (customs that is)

Yes, they do. And if you put something in a package that has a price tag and you dont put a receipt in the package, they buyer will end up paying custom and duty fee's on the tag price instead of your claimed value. Some don't get checked, but it seems lately they have been more viligent and are letting fewer packages get by customs officials.

Then you can go online to USPS and scheduele a pickup of your packages. Even though it says that you have to ship it out the same day the label was printed, you can ship it out the next day without any problems.

Isn't there an option to change the date you want it shipped? I know there is on domestic mail.

If a letter carrier wants to be picky, they can refuse to take it as the date is "stale" but very few even look.

The date does matter. The USPS is measured for service by that date, so the mailer IS responsible for mailing on the date on the label.

BTW, great info, I have never shipped other than domestic for fear of customs.

That's messed up. I sent something to UK once paid through paypal but sent to my sister. It really was a gift, could they have slammed her with extra fees if they opened it?

As long as you include a birthday card or some other gift type card inside the package proving that it is a gift, your OK. But I would definately suggest not leaving any price tags on anything just in case.

Isn't there an option to change the date you want it shipped? I know there is on domestic mail.

If a letter carrier wants to be picky, they can refuse to take it as the date is "stale" but very few even look.

The date does matter. The USPS is measured for service by that date, so the mailer IS responsible for mailing on the date on the label.

BTW, great info, I have never shipped other than domestic for fear of customs.

Well, I always print out my labels the night before and I print using click-N-Ship and I never change the date. I always forget. I have never had a problem. Maybe some carriers are sticklers, but mine are great! Especially since the two that come to my home get a $10 gift card each to Target each Christmas! ;)