Ebay shipping

Yes they were smart enough to keep the bank account empty too. Then of course all accounts were closed. I'm not saying paypal dosen't help some folks but I used paypal and I never got my Item or any money back. They just gave him a slap on the hand and closed his accounts.

I know it is a pain in the rear, but you can go to the authorities also since it is considered theft. You actually have to file a police report in the city that you shipped it to. Crazy, but it is possible. I have had it happen where a customer sends payment through Paypal using a stolen credit card and after I shipped the item to them Paypal reversed the transaction. So they got the shirt and never paid for it. I researched it and found that I could file a police report but the amount was not a lot so it was not worth the time for me.

I think buyers need to report people charged extraorbinant shipping prices! Ebay doesn't always do something but they are watching more carefully now since they revise the whole feedback and fee structure system.

I personally hate the new DSR which are those star system because I am finding that buyers really aren't aware of the high cost of shipping. I charge $1.50 handling on my auctions-this is to include ink, paper, label, packing material, gas to the PO (we don't have at home pickup or if going FedEx have to take to airport) and alittle bit of time. This is on top of exact shipping cost, I use the shipping calculator and send the way the buyer has chosen so its just exact cost plus $1.50. I have a 4.7 out of 5 stars on shipping cost??????what?????????, look I really don't make up the price, its based on the weight of the item and a very small handling charge. Insurance is required for anything over $25 and its always included on the package if paid for. I even give buyers the option of FedEx for packages over 3 lbs because I know the PO is expensive, I have to drive into the next town where FedEx is located and don't charge anymore than the $1.50. I do ship int'l and there is where the lower stars may of come from since those cost are absolutely ridiculous. Of course, the one time I let a buyer pay for first class int'l shipping its ended up in Paypal dispute because of course the package hasn't arrived yet and they didn't want to give the 6 weeks that first class mail usually takes waiting time. So back to not allowing it. On the flip side, there is nothing more maddening is to see $1.50 on a package shipping and you have paid $8-9, I send the method the buyer has chosen, if there is a miscalculation or I can get it into a smaller box making it lighter, I refund the difference. I think most people appreciate and understand the cost of shipping, but occassionally we all get one or two who gives us a hard time about it.

I know it is a pain in the rear, but you can go to the authorities also since it is considered theft. You actually have to file a police report in the city that you shipped it to. Crazy, but it is possible. I have had it happen where a customer sends payment through Paypal using a stolen credit card and after I shipped the item to them Paypal reversed the transaction. So they got the shirt and never paid for it. I researched it and found that I could file a police report but the amount was not a lot so it was not worth the time for me.

Oh I have had that happen once (only once though). I wait one business day to see that the funds have indeed cleared etc. I have heard where paypal even reversed a week later, its like what, how are we suppose to wait that long if they mandate us to ship out in a prompt manner.

I guess maybe I just don't understand, isn't it just the final cost that truely matters? Who cares how the cost is seperated? Ebay is about getting a deal and I have found better deals are found with some sellers that charge a higher fee for shipping because they do not pay as much to ebay and in such don't have to inflate their buy it now price. Ebay is asking for a big percentage now of sales and I used to be in the same boat as everyone else being annoyed by the high shipping, but once you start selling on ebay, you can kind of understand where the people paying more for shipping is coming from.

I really think this should be solved by just saying, if you don't like the price don't bid on it or buy it. It's a pretty simple way to go about buying on ebay.

I also sell on eBay and I agree that what the original poster described is exorbitant and the sellers who do that should be reported. Because I think it is sellers who do this that make eBay raise its fees to charge the rest of us what they are not getting from the sellers who do that.

I try to keep my shipping costs reasonable for the type of items I am selling, But as a seller, it is getting harder and harder. EBay has raised their sellers fees so much recently, that we are at a catch 22. If we raise our item prices to make profits, we don't get bids. If we raise shipping prices or charge handling fees to offset some of the losses, we are accused of padding our fees.

I sell a lot of shoes on eBay and I have to charge between $8 & $10 for shipping for each pair. It sounds like a lot, but the actual cost to ship a pair of Skechers somewhere is usually at LEAST $8. A Pair of boots can actually be $12.00 or $15.00 to ship. It REALLY does cost a lot for shipping ....AND postal rates will be going up yet AGAIN in May! How these big corporations ship for free, I cannot figure out. They must have SOME kind of deal with UPS or something.

But I also feel buyers should look at the total price of the item as the item and shipping. Because generally, I try to keep my total prices within 25% to 50% below retail.... Which can still be a bargain for someone in timbuktu who wants a pair of shoes or set of sheets.

But I can sure see both sides of the coin. I used to be disgusted with sellers who had exorbitant shipping fees, but the more I deal with eBay as a seller, the less I feel annoyed by them.

A seller has to provide a bank account that is associated with their Paypal account. So if the money is not in their Paypal, it will come out of their personal checking account.

Actually this is incorrect.Paypal can not take money out of anyones checking account.If their is no money in the paypal account the said account will remain in a negative standing until funds are put into the paypal account.Its against the law for paypal to take anyones money from their checking account.

I guess maybe I just don't understand, isn't it just the final cost that truely matters? Who cares how the cost is seperated? Ebay is about getting a deal and I have found better deals are found with some sellers that charge a higher fee for shipping because they do not pay as much to ebay and in such don't have to inflate their buy it now price. Ebay is asking for a big percentage now of sales and I used to be in the same boat as everyone else being annoyed by the high shipping, but once you start selling on ebay, you can kind of understand where the people paying more for shipping is coming from.

I really think this should be solved by just saying, if you don't like the price don't bid on it or buy it. It's a pretty simple way to go about buying on ebay.

Your right, as a buyer, looking at what I pay, it doesn't matter if something is $1 with $19 shipping or $19 with $1 shipping it all ends up $20 that I pay for the item. The gripe is actually on the selling side because with the first seller ($1 with $19 shipping) they are not paying eBay the final fees as does the second seller so eBay who is a business is seeing this and decided to raise their fees across the board to all of us. Yes the first seller will be impacted but not as much as the second seller would be. Also, eBay is having to deal with alot of complaints of buyers about the first sellers shipping charges even though they usually know this fact up front because most sellers do put the shipping charges in their auctions (beware of ones that don't) but its funny how buyers knowing this fact, still buy and than complain when the item only costs $x.xx amount to ship and they have paid three times that amount??? This is why eBay is doing this campaign to regain buyers trust???? Not sure if there was a problem but they sure presented it as one.

They are also getting alot of complaints through Paypal for items significantly not as described that they are having to deal with, Paypal use to side mainly with the buyer but realizing that there are people who are making a career out of bilking sellers with the SNAD claim. I just had this happen to me and Paypal actually sided with me, the seller, since the item was exactly as I described (it was a mp3 player which was not compatible with the persons computer, she also wouldn't comment on whether the SD card featured worked or not (I think it did) and as a seller, I cannot guarantee compatiability, just that its brand new etc).

Ebay is not what it use to be, it use to be a place where you and I could go and buy or sell some items, maybe make alittle cash or get rid of items in our house. Its now become a place of giant sellers and not at all the old auction feel that it once had. Its actually pretty expensive to sell on there for me, who is small time! The new revision was aimed right at those large sellers, which I find funny since that is who is making eBay their money.

I agree, if you don't like the auction terms of that seller, don't buy from them. Its really a simple concept but I guess ebay was getting so many complaints (or feel they were) that they needed to revise and penalize the sellers. One thing I do notice is that buyers are not reading the auction terms or details very well, I don't know how many emails I get asking me about an item and that particular detail is right there in the auction description and often right in the title line of the auction. I answer the question and go on but its still kinda of annoying LOL

I have to say, some of you are very brave. There are some things - like a laptop - that I just won't buy off Ebay. Also, if I can get it at a store, I won't buy it on Ebay. I never understand why people would buy stuff on Ebay that they could purchase at their local stores or order online from a legit business.

I would like to add one more thing. I have learned that these sellers that try to circumvent fee's are normally the types of sellers you should stay away from. If they have no guilt breaking Ebay's rules, why not screw buyers over by overlooking certain flaws, not revealing the items true condition, use pictures that are not theirs, and selling fakes. When they get caught, they just open another Ebay account and start all over.

Ebay is not all bad. I am one of the good ones! :)

I have to say, some of you are very brave. There are some things - like a laptop - that I just won't buy off Ebay. Also, if I can get it at a store, I won't buy it on Ebay. I never understand why people would buy stuff on Ebay that they could purchase at their local stores or order online from a legit business.

I agree, I collect dolls so have had to buy off of eBay but now that I am in several doll chat groups, I usually can find what I am looking for. Heard one story on my doll board about a nephew who bought a laptop to the tune of $1200 (his own money only 13 yrs old) and it can all damaged, broken and doesn't work so now they have to start the paypal dispute. Also it was either not insured or underinsured. What a hard lesson to learn, its bad enough with a on line purchase from a store but at least you have your CC to back you up but its so hard to get it from sellers when something goes wrong and the wait. It can take 4-6 weeks for it to be reviewed by Paypal and there is always that chance they don't side with you. Again, large purchases using Paypal use your CC, you can always fall back on it if something goes wrong.

It use to be that you could get a good deal on eBay but I am not really seeing it much on general merchandise, if you are a collector than its probably where you have to buy from.

Another problem with excessive shipping is.

$2 bid and $18 shipping - Item is broken, you only get back what item cost!:eyepoppin

$18 bid and $2 shipping - Item is broken, you get back most all you paid.;)

If you have any kind of problem, shipping is never refunded. If that was where all the money was paid into (so to speak) you loose everything!:mad:

It's wrong, period.:yup:

Those sellers that the OP was referring to are starting a low bid to try to get out of the high fee's that Ebay charges. It also puts them at the top of a search if someone does a search by price from low to high.

That is not true any longer. Now it sorts by lowest price + lowest shipping :fluffy:

$2 bid and $18 shipping - Item is broken, you only get back what item cost!:eyepoppin

If you have any kind of problem, shipping is never refunded. If that was where all the money was paid into (so to speak) you loose everything!:mad:

As long as you paid through Paypal you would get back the full $20, shipping and all.

If you pay with Paypal, you get a full refund. The only shipping you dont get back is the return shipping costs. So you would get the full $20 refunded.

Have you escalated it to a claim yet? You can open a dispute and

paypal wont get involved until you escalate it. Then Paypal will give the seller a certain amount of time for the seller to respond. Some cases take 30 days or more to resolve. Be patient because Paypal will find in your favor. :)

thanks - yes, after a week of just trying to be polite and email her and also talking to ebay thru their online chat, I decided to put the dispute out there on the paypal console and she posted 4 emails there right away, all still being unreasonable, so I just decided reasoning with her was hopeless and then escalated it to a claim later that day.

but I see that everyone is saying that I will have to pay to return the item to her before getting a refund. Wil they then refund me my original payment PLUS the return shipping? I don't see how it is that I should pay return shipping when she sent me the wrong item! That doesn't seem right at all. If that is true then I will seriously think twice about buying on ebay again! :(

Edited by cokemeyer

thanks - yes, after a week of just trying to be polite and email her and also talking to ebay thru their online chat, I decided to put the dispute out there on the paypal console and she posted 4 emails there right away, all still being unreasonable, so I just decided reasoning with her was hopeless and then escalated it to a claim later that day.

but I see that everyone is saying that I will have to pay to return the item to her before getting a refund. Wil they then refund me my original payment PLUS the return shipping? I don't see how it is that I should pay return shipping when she sent me the wrong item! That doesn't seem right at all. If that is true then I will seriously think twice about buying on ebay again! :(

Unfortunately, if the seller asks for the item back, you would than need to return at your expense (this sometimes happens with stores too) and you will get your full payment but not your return shipping (tho some sellers have been known to pay that too but don't count on it). Its not right but the way its done

wow...I buy and sell on ebay...for the past 7 years...at times in my life it has been how I earned my living, and right now is one of those times. I happen to agree with the people who are saying that the buyer has to READ the auctions before they bid, or accept what they've walked into...if the shipping is really high...DO NOT BID.

I also charge extra for some of my shipping (alot of times I have to buy the big bubble envelopes/boxes, bubble wrap etc.), shipping supplies are EXPENSIVE!!! Plus you are clearly told on ebay that the shipping includes "sellers fees" not just the actual shipping costs. I don't charge $119 by any means, but with all the freaking fees that ebay and paypal take from the seller sometimes it's really hard to make ANY money on something without hiking up the shipping charge to cover some of your fees incurred (and I state in my auctions that I use the shipping charge to cover priority shipping w/del confirmation, insurance optional, some of the paypal fees and shipping supplies). JMO

I would like to add one more thing. I have learned that these sellers that try to circumvent fee's are normally the types of sellers you should stay away from. If they have no guilt breaking Ebay's rules, why not screw buyers over by overlooking certain flaws, not revealing the items true condition, use pictures that are not theirs, and selling fakes. When they get caught, they just open another Ebay account and start all over.

Ebay is not all bad. I am one of the good ones! :)

That is not always true about if they hike up fees on shipping handling that they are bad sellers. That is what the rating system is for and most of the sellers that do this have very positive ratings. JMO

At The Bottom Of Every Item Page Is Report This Item. Just Click On It And Follow The Prompts. Even If I Am Looking At An Item And The Shipping Is Crazy I Report It.

Ebay Is Supposedly In The Process Or Weeding Out These Thieving Clowns. So Report, Report, Report Them.

At what point does one decide that shipping is too much? And isn't that just an opinion????

Remember, it is called shipping & handling.

It's obvious some people think that it is wrong to charge anything more than actual shipping,

some think it is wrong to markup shipping more than $x.xx,

some think it's the final price that matters. <---ME!

In case anyone is wondering...Ripn does not stand for Rippin people off on eBay ;)

I usually try to set S&H as close to actual if not exact when I sell.

Ebay's Excessive Shipping Charges Policy

Sellers may charge reasonable shipping and handling fees to cover the costs for mailing, packaging, and handling the items they are selling. While eBay will not prescribe exactly what a seller may or may not charge, eBay will rely on member reports and its own discretion to determine whether or not a seller’s shipping, handling, packaging, and/or insurance charges are excessive. Shipping and handling fees may not be listed as a percentage of the final sale price.

Sellers who want to be sure they are in compliance with this policy may charge actual shipping costs plus actual packaging materials cost (or less).

In addition to the final listing price, sellers are permitted to charge:

Actual Shipping cost: This is the actual cost (i.e. postage) for shipping the item.

Handling Fee: Actual packaging materials costs may be charged. A handling fee in addition to actual shipping cost may be charged if it is not excessive.

Insurance: Sellers offering insurance may only charge the actual fee for insurance. No additional amount may be added, such as “self-insurance”. Sellers who do not use a licensed 3rd party insurance company may not require buyers to purchase insurance. This is a violation of state law.

Tax: Only actual applicable federal, state, country, city, VAT, and equivalent taxes may be charged.

I think it all depends on the seller. I bought my husband a $900 Titleist golf club set (the one he wanted was discontinued and no longer in the stores and the on line golf stores were even more outrageous for the set). They shipped perfectly and were in perfect condition and a year later he loves them just as much.

Yet I tried to buy a lot of used shirts for $10 + $19 shipping for my daughter and they never shipped and the seller never replied to my contacts or the dispute. So there are great sellers who I would feel comfortable buying a large item from and others who you can tell just by their listing and/or feedback that they are scheisters.

But I sell a lot of stuff you CAN get in stores... But I do not know HOW many people tell me that they just cannot get the same items in their area.... They live in mountains and rural areas,,,, I sell a lot to Alaska, Hawaii, Iowa, the Dakotas, Puerto Rico, and Guam. Just today I told a lady it would cost $26.90 (and YES, that WAS the exact cost for a 2.8 lb package) to send some shoes to New Zealand. And she was more than happy to pay that because she said shoes were like $120 US dollars there!

And I sell a lot to homebound people who cannot shop. And to a lot of business people who are too busy to go to a store. So eBay is a valuable shopping avenue for a lot of people. So to say blanketly that people should just go to the store and get it is not always possible for some....

Edited by Floridasunshine

I think it all depends on the seller. I bought my husband a $900 Titleist golf club set (the one he wanted was discontinued and no longer in the stores and the on line golf stores were even more outrageous for the set). They shipped perfectly and were in perfect condition and a year later he loves them just as much.

Yet I tried to buy a lot of used shirts for $10 + $19 shipping for my daughter and they never shipped and the seller never replied to my contacts or the dispute. So there are great sellers who I would feel comfortable buying a large item from and others who you can tell just by their listing and/or feedback that they are scheisters.

But I sell a lot of stuff you CAN get in stores... But I do not know HOW many people tell me that they just cannot get the same items in their area.... They live in mountains and rural areas,,,, I sell a lot to Alaska, Hawaii, Iowa, the Dakotas, Puerto Rico, and Guam. Just today I told a lady it would cost $26.90 (and YES, that WAS the exact cost for a 2.8 lb package) to send some shoes to New Zealand. And she was more than happy to pay that because she said shoes were like $120 US dollars there!

And I sell a lot to homebound people who cannot shop. And to a lot of business people who are too busy to go to a store. So eBay is a valuable shopping avenue for a lot of people. So to say blanketly that people should just go to the store and get it is not always possible for some....

Its interesting you said this because people ask me all the time why would someone buy from me when they could get it at the store too. My answer was just that, not everyone has the capacity or time to shop and this was easier for them. I too have alot of int'l buyers since our $ is low and also most of the items I sell are dolls and they can't get them in their country. Shipping int'l is outrageous isn't it, it must shock them as much as it still shocks me. I also agree there are bad sellers and good sellers. Unfortunately, my bad buys have been in electronics and I guess that is where eBay is really targeting the sellers (alot of the new feedback is designed to weed these types out).

i know its an unpopular view but I hope that between escalating eBay fees and so many scammy sellers eBay is on its way out. I loved eBay it was fun it was cool when it was used for what it was originally for...to find that last piece of a set that your grandma had and the gravy boat that got broke by uncle Nestor 12yrs ago

When people decided they were going to make eBay into their sole source of income and make a "business" out of it VS an online garage sale(which to me was what it was originally) it changed the face of eBay. and not for the better.

I will occasionally still head to eBay for things. But its usually that weird item i cant get at the store. For anything else I use online retailers or b&m stores.

And before everyone lights torches and heads for Michigan to string me up its merely my 2cents and I am not saying it was YOU that killed eBay cause if it had only been 2-3 people it wouldn't have mattered. Obviously eBay has enjoyed success after I feel it morphed into something different. I am just putting my opinion out there and mentioning that while lasting longer then I would have hoped eBay to me was only a matter of time before to many people wanted their "share" and fees and greed made ebay into what we have today

i know its an unpopular view but I hope that between escalating eBay fees and so many scammy sellers eBay is on its way out. I loved eBay it was fun it was cool when it was used for what it was originally for...to find that last piece of a set that your grandma had and the gravy boat that got broke by uncle Nestor 12yrs ago

When people decided they were going to make eBay into their sole source of income and make a "business" out of it VS an online garage sale(which to me was what it was originally) it changed the face of eBay. and not for the better.

I will occasionally still head to eBay for things. But its usually that weird item i cant get at the store. For anything else I use online retailers or b&m stores.

And before everyone lights torches and heads for Michigan to string me up its merely my 2cents and I am not saying it was YOU that killed eBay cause if it had only been 2-3 people it wouldn't have mattered. Obviously eBay has enjoyed success after I feel it morphed into something different. I am just putting my opinion out there and mentioning that while lasting longer then I would have hoped eBay to me was only a matter of time before to many people wanted their "share" and fees and greed made ebay into what we have today

:gdyeahthat::gdyes::gdpoint::gdiagree:

Floridasunshine - thank you for the scoop (about why people buy when they can go to the store). I guess I forgot that everyone doesn't live so close to stores.

As for how much is too much on shipping...it all depends on the item. I've been eyeing some Disney DVDs. I'm trying to figure out why exactly someone thinks I would pay $6.95 for shipping. I can order the same DVD from legit businesses and pay 99 cents to ship or at most maybe $2.95. Trust me, I'm 99% sure if I ordered it from Ebay and paid $6.95 shipping - the item would be shipped via Media Mail (for MAYBE $2.00) and it would be in a manilla envelope - you can buy a pack of these for $1 at the $1 store!

Also, too high shipping = price of item + shipping = more than I'd pay if I got in my car and went to buy the merchandise in a store.

I'll be honest, my friends and I who shop on Ebay are looking for deals. With Yahoo, Google, My Simon and other shopping searches, it's easy to compare prices. Just like sellers are looking to make the largest profit for the lowest expense, as a buyer I'm looking for the lowest price with the best service!

And before everyone lights torches and heads for Michigan to string me up its merely my 2cents and I am not saying it was YOU that killed eBay cause if it had only been 2-3 people it wouldn't have mattered.

I am not going to hang you, but I do want to defend myself. I am one of those that has made Ebay a "Business". It has proven to be successful for me and my family. It has given me to opportunity to stay at home with my son. It has given me the freedom to take a vacation when I want and not worry about using "Vacation days". It has given me the freedom of enjoying more time with my husband and my children. Because of Ebay I have something to be proud because I have made it such a huge a success. I went from selling $50 a week to $15,000 in sales a month! On the other hand, my mother is one of those that goes to estate sales and yard sales and finds those great "one of a kind" items that are perfect for her online "yard sale". And she is also succesful. There are still plenty of Yard Sales on Ebay and there are treasures and deals to be had, even with shipping costs. So, we can continue to take sides on this, or we can agree that Ebay has become a great place for Businesses to thrive and a place to find those "Hidden treasures".

One more thing, Ebay growing has become a great thing for consumers. You see, the more people that are selling the same item is going to cause the prices to go down. It is the competietion of the sellers to have a lower price to entice the buyers to purchase from them. Remember that it is a good thing that Ebay cintinues to grow so you can get better prices.

Bellsandbabies I don't know if you're correct that a lot of sellers drive prices down.

Like I mentioned, I go to Ebay specifically for bargains. Many times I'll see the many of the same items being sold, sellers aren't selling them, they aren't lowering their prices and they think that I can't add and figure out that the someone else is charging more for an item but cheaper shipping and vice versa.

You and I'm sure others are fortunate that you have made a success but I'm guessing a lot of people aren't doing as well as you. If they were they wouldn't be constantly complaining about Ebay fees (which are the cost of doing business for ANY business) and trying to get buyers to pay this ridiculous shipping fees.

KBs I do have to agree with you! Ebay was a lot more fun back in the day when you could get unique stuff. Now a days though it seems a lot of people think it's like a garage sale. My friend told me I should sell my CDs on Ebay. I told her I couldn't be bothered and I'd just donate them to the local library!

I'm so glad to hear this, as I have just recently had to place my first claim as a buyer with paypal in over 10 happy years of ebaying. This seller is being totally obnoxious afer sending me a smaller lot with damaged items than what I bid on. The items in the lot weren't even close to what I bid on yet she claims I am the one in error and refuses to refund me until I incur costs to send them back to her. In any case, I filed the case a while back and Paypal hasn't done anything with it in over 10 days so I was starting to get worried. I guess they are just slow!

If you win the dispute you will have to ship the items back (via a confirmed delivery) at your cost. The dispute process takes a long time. I filed a dispute for a phone i bought in Dec. The phone was sold as working but was not. I was just notified 3/3 to ship the phone back to get my refund. The confusing part is the seller still has to give me the refund. I just wonder how Paypal is going to make him do that. he has had plenty of time to deactivate his paypal account. We'll see (shipped out yesterday at a cost of $6 to me!

This is so true! I was just telling the lady at the PO yesterday how I hate standing in line to ship to another country but they are my best customers. They don't mind the shipping and they usually bid higher because their dollar is more valuable than ours. I ship a lot to the north during the winter. It is easier for them to do things online then get out in 10 feet of snow.

I only sell every once in a while on Ebay. I don't try to make money off of shipping. Sometimes I do sometimes I don't and it evens out for me. I have never had a person complain about my shipping charges...thank goodness! I don't think eBay will ever change. It may only get worse. I don't buy on eBay anymore only sell.

If you win the dispute you will have to ship the items back (via a confirmed delivery) at your cost. The dispute process takes a long time. I filed a dispute for a phone i bought in Dec. The phone was sold as working but was not. I was just notified 3/3 to ship the phone back to get my refund. The confusing part is the seller still has to give me the refund. I just wonder how Paypal is going to make him do that. he has had plenty of time to deactivate his paypal account. We'll see (shipped out yesterday at a cost of $6 to me!

Dont worry, when you opened the dispute, it puts a temporary hold on the funds in their Paypal account so the money will be there when the item is received back. As long as you have tracking number and signature confirmation, Paypal will see that in the tracking information and automatically refund you when it shows delivered. You should be fine.