CHI Hair Iron and products

I have dropped my flat iron once to many times and it went :yuck: today. I was going to order my flat iron today from Amazon (I have $25 in giftcards!)

And wanted opinions on these 2. What is the difference? One better than the other?

http://www.amazon.com/Farouk-CHI-Inch-Ceramic-Hairstyling/dp/B0009V1YR8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=hpc&qid=1204150020&sr=1-1

http://www.amazon.com/CHI-GF1538-Regular-Ceramic-Straightener/dp/B0009V1YRS/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=hpc&qid=1204149811&sr=1-2

Also where is the best place online to buy CHI hair products. My hairsylist uses them and I occassionally buy them from her but I KNOW I can get a better deal AND she runs out as fast as she buys them :eyepoppin

Thanks guys!

I have the all black Chi and love it! I've not tried the one with the red so I can't give an opinion on which one is best. It heats up quickly and my hair ends up smooth and soft. I don't have curly hair it's more unruly than anything. But it works great and I'm very pleased with it.

I don't use the Chi hair products, but maybe see how much Ulta would be? They often have 20% off OR $3.50 (off $10 purchase) and I know they have carried the Chi products when I've been there. Also, check Amazon, they often are very competitive pricewise.

For those of you that want the CHI but don't like the price. Sally's has a generic version of it that is supposed to be GREAT! It sells for around 60. My mom is a managing partner with them but trust me she tells me what to and what not to buy.

http://www.sallybeauty.com/ceramic-straightening-iron/SBS-264850,default,pd.html

I wanted a 2 inch so I opted for the Jilbere Tourmaline and I LOVE LOVE LOVE it!

http://www.sallybeauty.com/jilbere-ceramic-tourmaline-flat-iron/SBS-345101,default,pd.html?cgid=BUYNOW01-01

Fishboysmom, I have always used cheaper ones like you listed and while I don't know the details as to how they work differently, I know they do. The CHI, GVP (generic of CHI), Jilbere, and ION are all professional models. They work far better. I was totally blown away when I first used one that was a quality product. They work far faster (meaning less chance of burning your hair and faster styling time) and they keep your hair straighter longer. With the cheaper models it would take me a while to straighten my hair (I have very long hair) and then if it got humid or rainy out I could kiss all that work goodbye. Now, even in the rain, my hair still stays nice and straight.

Edited by MandaJo111

I don't know what to tell you only I KNOW they are alot better than other brands. It is their FULL ceremic paddles from what I am told, cheaper ones are only coated. I DO KNOW that cheap ones burn and dry out my hair and my hair actually feels healthier after USING a CHI iron and they get ALOT hotter than the cheaper ones.

I went through many cheap ones and they'd only last about 7months before they would stop getting near as hot, some would even quit warming all together!!

Basically you get what you pay for (and I HATE that expression BTW because I KNOW sometimes cheaper is just as good or even BETTER!) LOL

I think I will order the black one because as far as I can tell the only difference (besides the red felt) is the red one you can adjust the temp LOWER..but I don't think I ever would ! LOL

Thanks for the opinions...

I'm still looking for CHI products, haven't checked Ulta...I was going through Amazon and they do have some great prices but the shipping is HIGH :(

Oooh! I would love one of these irons, but I am too cheap. Thanks for suggesting the Sally's brand, Mandajo111. I will look into it.

I love love love my Jilbere Tourmaline. I have the 2 inch, so it was a little more (49 I think) but they have a 1 inch and I think a 1 1/2 as well. I am using my Torumaline as I type. lol

Also if you are going to Sally's it is worth it to spend the $5 to get the green card for discount savings (with a flat iron purchase it pays for itself -- and military get the card free with valid ID). And for the rest of this month they have the Beyond the Zone products buy 2 get one free right now and I use the Beyond the zone Turn up the Heat spray for flat iron protection. It is 6.49 regular, 5.99 with the card so for B2G1Free, it would be 12 bucks for 3.

Does anyone have a code for sally's or a member number to get an additional discount

You can buy the member card and it is only $5. It pays for itself very quickly. If you are getting something like a flat iron you are basically getting the card free.

I don't know of any discounts right now. They had one a few weeks ago for 15% off, which is when I got mine, but that is expired now.

I don't have anything here, Sally's or Ulta (which BTW only carries CHI in stores!!) I DO have a JcPenny's but they don't have a salon :(

Walmart has a salon and carries SOME mainstream salon brand stuff but not CHI :(

Target is starting to carry CHI. I found a 1" marked 50% off this week.

Target is starting to carry CHI. I found a 1" marked 50% off this week.

WOAH really I don't have a target either but frequent a town that does at least once a month! Thanks for the heads up. I actually drove 100 miles to trade secret Saturday and got some...Ok that is not the ONLY reason I went but was one of them :)

Thanks guys!

The difference is that the chi red allows you to flip the ends up as well as straighten. It is the newer and Improved version. The black farouk chi is one of the original flat irons. They are well worth the price. If you want versatility- go for the red, if you want just straight, the black will do. I've been a hairdresser 28 years and I only use Farouk.

The difference is that the chi red allows you to flip the ends up as well as straighten. It is the newer and Improved version. The black farouk chi is one of the original flat irons. They are well worth the price. If you want versatility- go for the red, if you want just straight, the black will do. I've been a hairdresser 28 years and I only use Farouk.

Thanks!