Targets 42" Olevia 1080p LCD HDTV price matching

I wanted to purchase the 42" Olevia tv @ Target that they had on the front page of their ad for $897. It is a great deal for a 1080p in my opinion. Anyway, they were out of the televisions so I called Walmart and they told me to bring the ad in and speak to the manager and they would price match. We arrived at Walmart a few hours later and they had already marked their 42" Olevia's down to $897. Needless to say we purchased our tv and was happy with the price match. Well my wonderful sister called today and said Office Depot had them in their ad for $799. I took the Office depot ad & my receipt into Walmart along with the serial number off the tv and they refunded me the difference!! So if you bought the 42"Olevia television at Walmart make sure you take your Office Depot add in this week by Sunday and get your hundred bucks!!

I wanted to purchase the 42" Olevia tv @ Target that they had on the front page of their ad for $897. It is a great deal for a 1080p in my opinion. Anyway, they were out of the televisions so I called Walmart and they told me to bring the ad in and speak to the manager and they would price match. We arrived at Walmart a few hours later and they had already marked their 42" Olevia's down to $897. Needless to say we purchased our tv and was happy with the price match. Well my wonderful sister called today and said Office Depot had them in their ad for $799. I took the Office depot ad & my receipt into Walmart along with the serial number off the tv and they refunded me the difference!! So if you bought the 42"Olevia television at Walmart make sure you take your Office Depot add in this week by Sunday and get your hundred bucks!!

Luckily for you the Walmart CSR was not too technically savvy since Office Depot doesn't even sell the 1080p Olevia 42" LCD. The Target TV for $897 is not the same one Office Depot has on sale for $799. The target one is 1080p, the one at OD is not. Are you sure Walmart didn't just sell you one of their 1080i models for the same price as Target's 1080p? On the outside they're nearly identical!

on the box it says model numbers. if i recall the 2 series (they start with two then have the inches that the tv is and like a T) are all 1080i (although they think that they are 1080p-all the game systems and everything say that that is what it is). You can go to olevia's website. olevia.com and when you click on the TVs in the description it says whether it is 1080p or not. most arent. I really like that brand if youre not throwing down the big bucks for a sharp aquos or sony bravia etc.

sorry if this doesnt make sense. ive had a REALLY long day.

I am not tech savy, but did do a bit of research on this. Basically I think that 1080p is a better picture than 1080i but there aren't any stations broadcasting in 1080p as of yet. I just googled 1080i v 1080p and got a lot of imfo. I have a 1080i and am extremely happy but if I could get 1080p cheaper why not!!

The "i" in 1080i stands for interlaced while the "p" stands for progressive. That means that for every "frame" of image, the "i" signal only receives half of the scan lines (540), while the "p" signal receives all 1080 of them (the nomenclature isn't exact here but simplified). This is similar to the difference between the old NTSC tv signal (interlaced) vs how most all pc's work (progressive). The bottom line is that the 1080p picture will tend to be sharper with fewer artifacts (glitches) than the 1080i picture even though the resolution is the same. Keep in mind that:

a) almost all OTA broadcasts are in 1080i

B) unless you have a 40" screen or above, you may be hard pressed to notice the difference between a 1080i vs 1080p picture.

As been mentioned, if you can get an equiv. 1080p set for the same/less than a 1080i set, go for it. If the price differential is large, don't sweat it and enjoy your 1080i (or 720p) image and pocket the difference.