Doggie door?

We have a sliding glass door out to our deck and i've been considering putting a doggie door insert into it for the dog, but they cost soooo much! Trying to find something about $100 or less if possible...ideas?

I have no idea how you get it for less than $100, but this was the best money I ever spent!

I think this is the one I bought 4 years ago (but not from Amazon): http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0002FZOIQ?smid=A2B7S05JU8J6GW&tag=nextag-pet-mp-20&linkCode=asn

But if you live in a cold weather/windy area I would recommend this model: http://www.petdoors.com/quick_panel_iii.htm

My cousin got the III model and it's flap is much more resistant to wind gusts (very important in the windy Michigan winters!).

Since I have one large breed dog, it cost me about $350 bucks to get the extra large size and I've had to replace the flap once in the past 4 years that I've owned it.

But I don't have to worry about rushing home after work to a dog with his legs crossed and I don't have to hire someone to come over and let him out. It's worked out great for me. :D

Edited by herculesmomma

Are you able to lock them? I worry about our friendly neigborhood wildlife sneaking in.

Last winter my neighbors cat got locked out of his house by their cat sitter (not a very good cat sitter apparently) on a very cold night. So he decides to go into our other neighbors home through their Chows doggie door:D They discovered him curled between them on their bed in the morning.:rotflol:

Are you able to lock them? I worry about our friendly neigborhood wildlife sneaking in.

Last winter my neighbors cat got locked out of his house by their cat sitter (not a very good cat sitter apparently) on a very cold night. So he decides to go into our other neighbors home through their Chows doggie door:D They discovered him curled between them on their bed in the morning.:rotflol:

Yes, there is a metal panel that actually slides into the opening at night (or whenever) so critters and burglars can't get in. It also locks into place so it can be slid out from the bottom.

Now if a burglar really wanted in, I suppose they could kick the metal panel out after some work (it's not that thick, but not that thin either). But I suppose they could break a window too, both would require equal amounts of effort and cause the same amount of scene.

But critters - the metal slide panel takes care of that! So I should not be waking up with the neighbors cat in my bed (very cute story by the way!) or a racoon roaming the house! ;)

Guest JustMeDiana

hey, thanks...i usually avoid petsmart because they are typically so expensive, but I checked it out, only 1 review, but it was positive...and the price was about $100 less than others i've been looking at, so it's worth a try! I ordered one (found a 15% off code online), so got it for $144.15 in the end...not toooooo bad, hopefully it works! Otherwise i'm pretty sure I can return it to a Petsmart store right?

I'm not sure you'd be able to return it to the store if it doesn't work out. I've never seen them carry any of these in store, but you never know. I would call and ask first.

This is basically the same one I have but mine has dual pane thermo glass. It should work out great for you. I'll bet you'll wonder how you lived without it after having it just a short while. ;)

Sounds like you got a great price too! Good luck!

Guest JustMeDiana

hey, thanks...i usually avoid petsmart because they are typically so expensive, but I checked it out, only 1 review, but it was positive...and the price was about $100 less than others i've been looking at, so it's worth a try! I ordered one (found a 15% off code online), so got it for $144.15 in the end...not toooooo bad, hopefully it works! Otherwise i'm pretty sure I can return it to a Petsmart store right?

Glad to help.... lets us know how is works ;)

We actually have a Larson's Screen door for our back door. The dogs have used it for the past 2 years and absolutely love it. In fact, I don't know how we lived without it. We live in a mild climate, NC, and typically leave the back door open all day. We purchased ours from Lowe's.

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=115484-78360-115484&lpage=none

We actually have a Larson's Screen door for our back door. The dogs have used it for the past 2 years and absolutely love it. In fact, I don't know how we lived without it. We live in a mild climate, NC, and typically leave the back door open all day. We purchased ours from Lowe's.

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=115484-78360-115484&lpage=none

Ooo, didn't know about those. My cousin could have used that when she lived in her townhouse before she bought her house. Very nice.

I adopted my dog and I originally paid someone to come over 3 days a week to let him out (I would have done 5, but I ain't rich!). It was getting pretty pricey - about $100 a month or sometimes more. But with my job and long day trips for work, I needed to have the service for those occassions where it was going to be 10 to 12 hours a day.

Once I got the dog door, solved all those problems and paid for itself in about 3 months time. Later I switched jobs too, but I still like the fact that he doesn't have to hold it for 10 hours a day. I keep the gate locked to the yard and tell the neighbors if he becomes a problem to let me know.

It's kind of nice to drive home from work and see him sunning himself on the back patio. At least he's not bored being locked in the house all day long either.

Goodness, I sound like the poster child for these! But it really does change your life if you have a dog(s) and only have 1 or 2 people living in the house to take care of them. :)

I will have to check on one of those. We have to replace our screen door on the deck this Spring. The dogs and cats kinda made their own door in the screen now :D.