New washer

Promom

Okay, my old washer started making some weird noises this morning, sounds alittle like is possessed, just waiting for it to spit green soup at me.:P I've been looking at the new front load washers. Are they really better than the top load models? Any reviews out there?

I just bought an LG front load washer and dryer in May... I love them!!! They really do use less soap and water and my towels seem to come out much softer. Also, it really saves the back when you don't have to constantly bend over into the washer.

I don't know if you are like me but, when I'm washing clothes, I always seem to forget something and then hurry and put it in the washer. Well, if you have a front loading one, you are screwed once it has started the cycle. Just something to think about.

I just bought an LG front load washer and dryer in May... I love them!!! They really do use less soap and water and my towels seem to come out much softer. Also, it really saves the back when you don't have to constantly bend over into the washer.

We just got our LG's weekend and we love them! They really do use a lot less soap and water and the clothes do come out clean and soft.

I have a maytag front load and have had it for a couple of years....I like it, it does use less water and soap. I can add to mine, you press the cancel button and it stops the water from going in and unlocks the door.

The reason I got it was really because of my kids... I had a bed wetter...he would have to wash his comforter and then it would overload the washer and make it uneven and then thump until finally something broke...Had to have someone come fix the tub where it wore though from being uneven...Then after we moved to NC something else happened (probably for the same reason )and I said I just wanted a new one and got the front loader...It holds more clothes since there is no agitator. I would definately buy another one...BUT I think I would like the stands they go on (one for washer and dryer)...but those stands are like $150-$200 EACH but have nice storage drawers...Also it is nice to be able to set stuff on top of the washing machine like I do the dryer (soap dryer sheets...)

I just got an set of LG's and I really like them. You're using a lot less water and energy, and without the agitator, I can wash double the amount of clothes each time. You can press the "pause" button and it will unlock if you forget something. As far as bending, I just make myself comfy on the floor to switch from washer to dryer! :)

FWIW - Sears/Kenmoore is made by Whirlpool. So if you find a Whirlpool model you like, there will be the same model made by Kenmoore that is cheaper.

front loads - too many reviews of smelly & leaky seals in just few years. I plan to keep mine til it dies (again) so hopefully longer then a few years.

tall cone agitators are on the way out. I got a great deal on one because it's not the "new" wave of washers.

sounds like your motor is dying on your washer. If it is under 10 years old you can call Sears and buy an extended warrenty for it, even if you didn't buy it from Sears originally. And then call the next day you call to get it repair appt. Or call the company of your washer (Maytag, etc) and they offer extended warrenties as well and you can do that. I've been told by the companies before that this is perfectly okay so I don't feel like I'm doing anything bad by telling you this. LOL Sears actually told my mom the same thing when she took her vacuum into repairs after the warranty expired. This is the cheapest way to go if you don't want to fork out the dough for a new washer.

We bought the LG steam washer last year because we wanted something that was more energy efficient and water efficient. I don't think I've cut the loads of laundry down for clothing (techinically I should have because it does hold more than our extra large capacity washer did) but our water bill did drop by a bit (maybe $10 a month? some months I don't see much of a difference. BUT I find myself washing the sheets/towels/bathroom rugs a lot more than I used to). The steam feature I don't use that much because it will shrink clothes. Most of the clothes are cotton so things shrink easily. I do use it for towels (gets even the worst mildew smells out), when the kids get sick, and for pillows/blankets. Think about if you really need this feature is what I'm saying; we rarely use it for steam pressing our clothes because the dewrinkling feature of the dryer does the same thing.

I noticed that the LG was able to out some stains that had been set in for years. Not ALL stains, but some stains did come out. Other set in stains decreased in size/color.

It takes some getting used to the noise of the spin cycle of front loaders. They spin so fast that at first it sounds like a jet plane taking off. (maybe not that bad, but some people say it sounds like that :) )

Home Depot has all LG appliances with an extra 10% off right now through the 16th. You can price match at Best Buy or Sears and get your 110% guarentee at those stores. I'd recommend Best Buy because they have instant free delivery (no mail in rebate) and haul away of your old appliance. Their extended warrenty plan is cheaper than Sears' plan, too. I don't normally buy extended warrenties anymore but I did on the washer becuase so many people have problems with mold forming on the front seal. (Make sure you wipe down your washer seal after each wash, or, at the minimum, leave your door open often to dry out the inside and run a tub cleaning/bleach cycle once a month or so.)

We didn't buy a new dryer. The new dryers are not any more energy efficient than the old dryers. The advantages are a higher spin speed so they are suppose to dry faster. But it's not SIGNIFICANTLY faster, from what people told me. I'd still like a new dryer but it's not a necessity. We have an extra large capacity dryer and the cubic feet is the same as the cubic feet in the LG dryer.

I spent A LOT of time on this forum doing research before we found our machine:

http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/laundry/

Also, check with your local utility companies. We got a rebate from our gas company for the washing machine (weird, huh?) and we got a rebate from the water company. BUT with the water company we actually had to send in paperwork to get the rebate form before we bought the machine, and the money was allocated for us, but we still had to send in the receipts. Might be worth a call/internet research. :) The rebates saved us another $150 or so.

I dont have a front load washer, but my cousin is looking for new appliances for her new house. She went to Lowes and the salesman told her that they are going to have a sale on Thursday where it is 10% off all appliances and then a 10% mail in rebate. So, front loader or not, this may be helpful. HTH

Try to read some reviews before buying. There are a lot of front loaders out there that are NOT very good. I know there are some very good ones, but when I bought a new washer and dryer about 6 months ago, the mid range front loaders were not high on the reliability/low repair lists. In addition, the pedistals help with raising the height up to save on your back. They are extra $ though and not cheap. I really like to shop Lowes and HD for appliances. They have frequent sales, rebate and free delivery/set up offers. Good Luck!

Thanks for all the info. I wish buying appliances were easy. But I guess if it was easy, the husbands would be staying at home to do it.:P I read some reviews on Sears and the frontloading ones got mixed reviews. Some said they they shook and moved, and one even said they hda to reinforce their floor. My laundry area is right off the kitchen and near the computer, so I'm concerned about the noise and the floor. But thanks again for your posts. I check a few times a day between doing research.

We have a front load Maytag and love it....now that it is working. I would steer clear of Maytag front loaders. There have been numerous issues with them and even Consumer Reports warns against them. We finally got everything up and going after several service visits and some of our own money even though it was under warranty. When you pay so much for a washer you expect it to work but oh well.

I would definitely buy a front loader and have heard great things about both LG and Whirlpool/Kenmore. The pedestal stands are expensive but if you have a handy husband you can build your own a lot cheaper so keep that in mind!

Good luck.

The newest washers can be found as top loaders, but no agitators in the middle. That helps the issue of not adding some after the load has started and stinky seals on the front loaders. The new top loaders are still HE so thus still use less water and less soap.

Read on another forum that BB has the LG pedastals for $99 in gray only. I think you can order them online or go to the store and if they don't have them in stock they will order for you. This is a great price if you don't care about the color.

We purchased a Front Loader washer & dryer at Sears last April...They are Kenmore made by Whirlpool...Not all Kenmore models are made by Whirlpool...So you will have to ask the salesman what the manu is...They were pretty expensive...But its not like you buy this type of appliance everyday..So I didnt mind..The Sears guy told us the motors in our washer/dryer were made by BMW....They are extremely quiet..You dont even know there on...My laundry room is upstairs right next do DD room who is 3..So I needed a very quiet model.

We did not buy the the stands for them..My husband built 2 very nice stands..and we painted them the same color as my laundry room...They came out beautifully and it took him just 3 hours and $25 worth of supplies from Home Depot...

Like Azzycat we also got rebates..one from the water company another from the gas...Most utility companies do this as long as they are Energy efficient...

I would steer clear of Maytag front loaders

This is so true...Before we purchased our washer/dryer I did lots of research..I wasnt really focused on the price but the quality...I found hundreds of stories on the internet about Maytag appliances...

Sometimes when buying large expensive appliances its really better to pay a little more for quality...I researched for almost 6 weeks before we made our purchase...When you buy the right product it should last for years...My mother just got rid of a washer that was 19 years old...Ok that is a bit to old for my taste..lol...But it served its purpose...

Whichever model you decide to buy make sure you google the name and complaints together to get a feel of others issues...Consumers today are very good at hitting the internet when they have a problem with a purchase...

We bought a top of the line Duet (Whirlpool) washer this past July. I absolutely love it but I read reviews that said the drum can smell moldy. I have only noticed this once when the we went out of town for a couple of days. I have four active boys so I do laundry everyday. I agree, you should read reviews also measure before you buy! The front loader needs clearance so if you are in a tight space it may be problem. Good Luck!

Savvybuys, what model did you get, if I can ask? I really like the idea of a quiet washer

We purchased the Kenmore Elite HE5t King Size Capacity Plus Front-Load Washer & Gas Dryer...Looks like they are still selling the same model But have updated to include a new steam feature...They didnt have that feature when I purchased last April....Our set is blue as they have several colors to choose from...

One of the things I found funny about this set is the Washer has a Hand Wash Feature..Doesnt say gentle wash like most washers..It says Hand Wash...lol....

I hope you find the right set for you...Laundry is something some of us do everyday of our lives..lol..So I was very picky when I purchased...Make sure to ask lots of questions and visit several stores before you make your purchase....

We just had to buy a new washer in November because the transmission on our 4 1/2 y.o (!) washer went and it was just as much to fix it as it was to replace it. The service tech (who wasn't affiliated with a store so he didn't have anything to gain by telling me to buy new) asked me if I was looking for a front loader or top loader. When I said I didn't really have an opinion, he told me that while the front loaders are more efficient they are MUCH MORE expensive to repair than top loaders. He had had to replace some hosing and couplings on one the day before and it cost over $200 for a 1 1/2 y.o. machine. Yikes!

He also told me that 10 years ago the manufacturers went away from belt drives to sealed transmissions which is why they are so much more expensive to fix now (instead of just replacing a belt they have to replace the whole thing.) In addition, in January 2006 the government changed the minimum allowable efficiency ratings for washers. What this has done is make the washers more energy efficient but they are much less efficient in terms of the job that they do. The 2006 Consumer Reports on washers actually states that they couldn't recommend a Best Buy on any washer (or something to that effect, I don't have it front of me anymore) because the tests they run on them came back with much worse results than usual. Sigh; gotta love it when the government "helps" us :)

The tech finished up by pointing to all the controls on the back of my old washer and asking me "do you use them all?" to which I replied "no." He then explained that once you pick your brand, the only difference along a price point line are the various setting options. Internally the construction is all the same. So if you don't use all 7 wash settings, or 5 load sizes etc. don't buy it. I ended up getting Whirlpool top loader at Best Buy with 3 load sizes, 3 water temp options and 3 load settings. It wasn't the bottom one, it wasn't the second one up (that didn't have a bleach dispenser which I use) but the next one up.

HTH,

RobD

( it does sound like a jet plane when it spins out);)

I know that sound with my Maytag!! You think the thing is getting ready to take off. If there is a quiet model out there go for it. I have heard very good things about the Whirlpool models. I believe they are rated high via consumer reports too.