Present for DD19 Dilema??????

shopping mom

DD19 has asked for a guitar for the last few years but I could not afford it. This year I plan on getting her one, and I am waiting for it to arrive (was suppose to be at the music store 11/17, not here yet) Today she called from college to say she is having major trouble with her laptop (3 or 4 years old from BB on BF) I am debating about calling the music store and saying forget the guitar so I can get the laptop. However, I really want to give her the guitar. I wish I could do both but that is not going to happen. What is your opinion??

DD19 has asked for a guitar for the last few years but I could not afford it. This year I plan on getting her one, and I am waiting for it to arrive (was suppose to be at the music store 11/17, not here yet) Today she called from college to say she is having major trouble with her laptop (3 or 4 years old from BB on BF) I am debating about calling the music store and saying forget the guitar so I can get the laptop. However, I really want to give her the guitar. I wish I could do both but that is not going to happen. What is your opinion??

Maybe that was a hint that she wants a new laptop? ;)

Maybe you can get her a less expensive quitar.

Target has a Fender Starcaster Electric Guitar Orig 199.00 Now $149.99 It should also be in their ad this week.

http://www.target.com/Fender-Starcaster-Strat-Guitar-Pack/dp/B000VOADMU/sr=1-1/qid=1197311790/ref=sr_1_1/602-0701439-1589453?ie=UTF8&index=target&rh=k%3Afender%20guitar&page=1

And a Fender Starcaster Acoustic Guitar Orig $149.99 Now $99.99 Also should be in their ad this week.

http://www.target.com/Fender-Starcaster-Acoustic-Guitar-Pack/dp/B000VO6DBU/sr=1-2/qid=1197311905/ref=sr_1_2/602-0701439-1589453?ie=UTF8&index=target&rh=k%3Afender%20guitar&page=1

I'm not sure how much you were planning on spending. Maybe you can find a lesser expensive guitar to get her started and then upgrade the guitar next Christmas or for her Birthday.

Also check at Marshalls, TJMaxx or Ross. Sometimes I see them there too.

Happy Holidays!

Guest vhjetski81

Did you purchase any type of extended warrenty on the laptop?

If she is really interested in music and you think she would still enjoy the guitar I would get it first.

there are computer labs on campus she can use. give her the guitar.

I have tried to write a paper at the computer labs. One time I had to use 4 seperate computers. It was soo frustrating. Soo much easier to write and research in the library or her room with her own computer.

She most likely doesn't need a expensive computer. Keep checking the forums, I'm sure you can find one that will fit her needs with out being expensive.

Happy Holidays!

i'd get her the laptop. perhaps if she wants the guitar, you guys can split the cost for her birthday in the future? the laptop is a much more pressing need. i didn't like using the lab computers, because i actually wound up more distracted in the labs! i always went back up to my room to get additional materials and so on.

Get a quote on getting the laptop fixed. It could be as simple as $100. When I got my guitar for my birthday less than five years ago it cost $90. It was used and electric. I still have it. Guitar Center carries used guitars. You could get her a used guitar (I didnt mind at all) and hopefully still have money left over to fix the laptop.

The guitar she wants is a Seagull six string acoustic. She plays for the nursing home ministries at her school and sings in church. The school is super super small but it does have a computer lab however they are strict about times of use. Maybe since her dad does not celebrate Christmas I can justify the guitar and then she can tell him she needs a laptop. I had a two or three year warrenty on it but it is expired.

Personally, I'd give her the guitar.

Even if the computer lab has strict hours. I remember in college our labs were very strict etc and to be honest I always felt like I got more accomplished there then trying to do my work in the dorms.

What I would get her are a few jump drive things so that way she can easily work at the lab, save it and if necessary use a friend's computer for fine tuning.

A lot of colleges also have a tech support center that will work on the computers/laptops for students. Normally it's a minimal fee.

good luck!

I understand having something like a laptop not working come up and having to change plans for gift giving. I'm sure this is frustrating for you. I hope everything works out.

I looked at the Seagull guitars. For the price of some of their guitars you could get her a new laptop and a inexpensive guitar for now and for her birthday you could get her the Seagull.

Happy Holidays!

Guest vhjetski81
Is there a public library close to her? Even though ours is VERY small we still have several computers to use and there isn't a time limit on them.

No library close, and we recently had a friend put in a new hard drive so I really do not know if it is fixable. The guitar is still not in. I started shopping for this back in Oct. First music store ordered it and never called me, second music store calls me but they do not have ityet, recalled first store and they do not have any in (they sell fast) and the guy is suppose to check and call me (like I believe that one) I am almost done shopping but this has me frustrated.

Ok I called the music store again and they said that the guitar shipped 2 days ago and they think it will be here at the end of the week. I called another music store and they have none in stock and not sure about getting one. I think if the guitar comes that will be her Christmas, if it is not here by the 23rd I will buy her a laptop for Christmas.

The Guitar came in and it is beautiful. :D:D:D I am glad I only have to wait a few days to give it to her. She is going to love it. The owners of the music store, were so nice and gave an extra discount for waiting. They asked me to call to tell them how she liked it.

thats wonderful. I am sure she will love it.