Holiday ordeourvs?!?!

Momto32003

Well, it looks like it is only going to be my husband and kids for Christmas this year. Very sad and haven't cried like this in years.

I want everything to just be non-stressed and laid back. I am going to get a meat tray and some bread to let the kids make sandwhiches. I will also probably do meatballs in the crockpot.

Any other easy/kid friendly but adults like too ideas?

Anyone have a good recipe for meatball sauce? (my mom had a GREAT one that involved grape jelly but with the fight were in, I am not about to email her to ask for it)

THANKS!!! I won't let this Christmas get me down as hubby leaves for Iraq 2 weeks after and want to be able to enjoy him being here now.

I go to a friend's house every year for Christmas Eve and New Years Eve, and we always have hors d'oeuvre.

Some of our appitizers include: Pigs in a blanket, mini corn dogs, mini egg rolls, spinich dip with bread cubes, the usual meat/cheese and fruit/veggie trays, and sometimes wings.

hey there.. sorry to hear about your stress--easy to say not to let it get to you but it does, doesn't it?

family stife here too-but I guess we'll all be together for a little bit.

there is a 'country-cooking' at rootsweb that you could join-they've always been very helpful w/ recipes like the one you are looking for..

is hubby in service or civilian work? either way-thanks from me, and blessings and hugs to you all

Thanks everyone!!!

kmbrly...mini egg rolls sound good. I think I will kit Sams Club for those.

Grassy...Thanks. It is very sad considering this was the only family I had left after moving from IL to WI. Everyone thought we moved across the country and cut us off. I know I am probably letting my pregnancy hormones get the better of me as well but I LOVE Christmas and everything about it and thinking of spending it without family makes me very sad.

Would love whatever recipes you have though.

imacarolinagirl...first off, love the name. I was born in NC so I have some roots there. He is in the service. Air Force. THANKS!!!

PS...anyone have a good deviled egg recipe?

ohh so sorry to hear you are sad.. but what matters is.. u are with your family... if you want u can come to my house.. we have everybody and anybody... and every year its a house full..i have a friend that comes here every yr.. due to he says we are more family.:) so you are welcome to pack up and come here with me,. but i know u will have a great time and enjoy your day with your family...just think how much sleep u will get .. lol

I'm not at my puter so when I get back up there I'll get that list for you-

what part of NC? Preggers? yup that'll set you off a bit. :)

as for deviled eggs.. the yolks smashed, some mayo, a little vinegar, pepper, salt to taste, stir it all up and then put in a sandwich bag and snip the end off, squeeze it into the eggs you've sliced in half.

PEEL TIP.. after you've boiled the eggs the easiest way to peel is to leave in the pot w/ a little cold water-put the lid on and shake'em around to bust the shell-peels lots easier..

of course. a cook book has several twists on deviled eggs.:)

I use Heinz chili sauce & grape jelly for my meatballs...it's quite yummy!! I also throw in cocktail wieners w/ them , just put them all in a crock pot & let them cook. My whole family loves them!!:yup: Hope that helps.

Deviled eggs~ miracle whip, mustard, & a splash of vinegar.....I just keep tasting it til it's right then make them & add a sprinkle of paprika to the tops.

loves 30. THANKS!!!

imacarolinagirl...I was born in Rosehill and my sister in Raleigh. I still have family in Warsaw. Thanks on the peel tip. We can never do that right.

amberleigh2 and jade2002...how much of each? That is the exact recipe we use but don't want to ask about.

Thanks again everyone one!!!

loves 30. THANKS!!!

imacarolinagirl...I was born in Rosehill and my sister in Raleigh. I still have family in Warsaw. Thanks on the peel tip. We can never do that right.

amberleigh2 and jade2002...how much of each? That is the exact recipe we use but don't want to ask about.

Thanks again everyone one!!!

Well I guess it depends on how many meatball & or weiners, I use a whole bag of meatballs, I know that does'nt tell you much since I'm not sure how many are in the bag, & 1 pkg of weiners & I use use 1 whole jar of sauce & 1 small jar of jelly.

Please don't be sad because it will only be you DH & kids. Start some new traditions just for your family. Read the Night Before Christmas, hang stockings, make cookies for Santa on Christmas Eve. Christmas day have a big breakfast together the snack food for later in the day is a great idea. Less work on your part so you can spend more time enjoying the important people in your life.

Take a walk together, play in the snow (if you have some), the kids will get to play with their new toys and you enjoy watching them cuddled up with DH.

You are blessed in so many ways, just remember the good things and try not to let the sad get you down.

For recipes check out allrecipes.com, kraftfoods.com or if you have favorite restaurant recipes check out kopykat.com for them. I like layered taco dip - layer like this on a platter or large plate, refried beans, sour cream, lettuce, cheese, salsa (drained), black olives & green onions. Good served with tostitos. Another favorite is citrus salsa, the recipe is on kraftfoods.com. This is great with Triscuits.

I hope you have a great time celebrating with the family you have right in your own house.

Over the years as my husband's back problems have increased, we have spent more holidays as just a small group with drop ins sometimes from my family. Throw those meatballs in a crockpot, toss in the chili sauce and grape jelly (my grandmother called them Swedish meatballs) and have a great day!!!!:holiday08:holiday01

Thanks vsa3janes...we will definetly be starting a new tradition. We already do the cookies for Santa. Santa is bringing a pool table with pong pong conversion top so I know we will have a TON of fun after all the gifts are open.

Thanks for the idea of the taco dip. LOVE, LOVE, LOVE it and so do the kids. l Totally forgot about that.

mgmckny...THANKS!!

several years ago we started spending christmas day home alone with just the immediate family and will never go back to having people over or going to one or more other peoples houses on that day, much nicer staying home and playing with the kids all day. I keep on hearing about that meatballs recipe lately, I'm going to have to try it next time we entertain.

*hugs* I'm sorry you won't be able to spend Christmas with your entire family, but sometimes a smaller gathering of just your close family can be extremely fun (not to mention less hectic) than having everyone over.

As for easy holiday foods, we always make sausage balls. They've become sort of a tradition at our house and they're extremely yummy and easy to make. They could be something the kids could help with too, depending on their ages. Rather than trying to find my recipe for them, I just looked it up online and everything sounds about right in this one:

1 lb. hot sausage

2 c. grated sharp Cheddar cheese

3 c. Bisquick (biscuit mix)

Allow cheese to come to room temperature. Combine all ingredients (easier done by hand). Shape into 1 inch balls and place on ungreased cookie sheet. Bake at 350 degrees for 12-15 minutes. Serve immediately or may be frozen for future use.

Makes 40-50 balls.

There are a lot of variations for it (different kinds of cheese, milder sausage, etc), but you can just pick which ever ones you think your family would enjoy the most. :) Oh, and that recipe says to serve immediately, but even if they've cooled down a bit and are used to snack on all day, they're not bad at all. :)

Thanks all. I guess it wouldn't be as sad if it were mutually agreed on by all that we aren't getting together. There was a huge blowout and now no-one is talking. To make things worse hubby is leaving, I am pregnant (surrogate) and have 3 kids and will be on my own.

I know other military wifes do it, but I am a baby, LOL.

Hug your DH for us too!!!

My traditions.... Pepperoni Bread the kids love it too {DD7 DS5}

1 pkg fresh (or frozen & defrosted) pizza dough ball

1/4 lb pepperoni (sliced thin)

1/4 lb provolone cheese

8oz grated mozzarella cheese

Roll out dough on a floured surface to a rectangular shape. Layer w/pepperoni & cheeses. From the long side, roll up like a jelly roll. Brush (or spray) outside w/oil. Bake in a preheated 350 degree oven approx 30min. Let cool a little before cutting.

A really easy appetizer to take with or make for yourself at home SUPER yummy! Kids love it too. Try w/turkey pepperoni (less oily)

Kids & I make cookies Christmas Eve for Santa & leave out for him. They're not the prettiest but the kids have a grand time.

Reindeer Food Recipe http://www.recipezaar.com/48773 Use tons of glitter. I make huge batches - enough for each kids' class

Crack up candy canes (kids do) & sprinkle top of frosted cupcakes.

Play a Chipmonks CD to get in the spirit.

Well I guess it depends on how many meatball & or weiners, I use a whole bag of meatballs, I know that does'nt tell you much since I'm not sure how many are in the bag, & 1 pkg of weiners & I use use 1 whole jar of sauce & 1 small jar of jelly.

we've always used 12oz chili sauce and 10 oz grape jelly--love these

I'm so sorry sweetie. I really don't have any advice for things to make as I am no better crocker, however, I am a military wife. This time last year, I was right there in your shoes. DH is scheduled to come home hopefully in March. I have no idea what you and your mother are fighting over, however just remember emotions tend to run really really HIGH right before a deployment. Will this be your first? This was my first and let me assure you it has been a very bumpy ride. Just wanted to let you know I'm here if you ever need to vent. :)

I make many appetizers, but one my dh loves are jalapeno rolls.

1 pk. of flour tortillas

bag of shredded cheddar or colby jack 8 oz

jalapenos-diced add as little or as much as you want(they have them already diced in a jar)

1 med. onion diced

1 block of cream cheese softened

combine all ingredients and spread a little on each tortilla and roll up and chill for 1-2 hrs. and slice diagonally into bite sized pieces. Yum!

We like to make these all of the time. They are very simple to make. All you need are tomatos and GRATED PARMESAN Cheese.

Slice up tomatos, lay on a baking pan.

Shake the GRATED PARMESAN Cheese all over.

And bake until melted. Very very simple and it taste great!!!!

My kids perfer bbq on their meatballs so I do bbq sauce, mustard, brown sugar, and finely chopped onions with a splash of worchesterchire sauce..... but others have said my kids are weird... take them to a buffet and one of them always gets spinach, cabbage, and brussel sprouts.... lol .... and my oldest had a favorite meal at age 2 1/2.... 1 can sardines in mustard and a glass of buttermilk to wash it down... EWWWWWWWWWWWWWW......

we've always used 12oz chili sauce and 10 oz grape jelly--love these

we have a Christmas party to go to tomorrow I plan on making these-I have to admit I am a little scared making somthing that is so savory with grape jelly BUT I am gonna do it-I have heard many talk about how great this recipe is.....does it turn out sweet? can I serve bread and provolone/mozzarella cheese like a mini meatball sub with these?

anyone? Thanks

These are a HUGE hit at our house, and our friends house, and their cousins house... well, you get the idea! Just make alot, they go fast!

http://thepioneerwomancooks.com/2007/07/bacon-wrapped_j.html

This site is the coolest!!! I spent 4 hrs last night looking around and now I have it book marked -I plan on tryin out the roll recipe she has on there and look forward to her Christmas recipes-what a site!!!