Toshiba HD-A3 HD DVD Player for $175@ Amazon.com!!!

Themop75

The price on the A3 is going crazy. Last Wednesday it went from $199 to $187 to $178 down to $159. Then it went back up again and fluctuated for a few days. Those prices were when amazon was including 3 free HD-DVD's as well as the 7 you already got free. I went to BB and got a price match when it was at $187 because I thought that was as low as it would go. So I'm keeping this one unopened in hopes amazon does another price slash.

Shoulda oughta grabbed it at $159 and been done with it.

I have the Panny TH-50PZ700U 1080p set with seating rather close. There is a difference in connecting a 720p and a 1080p DVD player. A friend brought over his 1080p Bluray and there is definitely a difference. The 1080p players also upscale standard DVDs to full 1080p making them sharper as well.

I have the Panny TH-50PZ700U 1080p set with seating rather close. There is a difference in connecting a 720p and a 1080p DVD player. A friend brought over his 1080p Bluray and there is definitely a difference. The 1080p players also upscale standard DVDs to full 1080p making them sharper as well.

Well obviously a 1080p Blu-Ray player is going to look better than a 720p up-converting standard DVD player because I'm guess you watched a Blu-Ray movie on it. I have the A3 on my 62" Toshiba CinemaSeries DLP and the picture is still 100% amazing. The difference between 1080p and 1080i is so miniscule that it's not really worth the extra cost IMO. It's just like the Lincoln Town Cars that used to have the "fine Corinthean (sp) leather"... it's more of a marketing gimmick than anything.

Well obviously a 1080p Blu-Ray player is going to look better than a 720p up-converting standard DVD player because I'm guess you watched a Blu-Ray movie on it. I have the A3 on my 62" Toshiba CinemaSeries DLP and the picture is still 100% amazing. The difference between 1080p and 1080i is so miniscule that it's not really worth the extra cost IMO. It's just like the Lincoln Town Cars that used to have the "fine Corinthean (sp) leather"... it's more of a marketing gimmick than anything.

No, it was the same DVD, just played in different players. My neighbors 720p upconverting player and my friends Blu-Ray. However, the bluray movies were truly amazing on the screen. I don't believe it is simply a marketing gimmick (except on screens 42" and smaller).

I will not pay an exhorborent amount more just for 1080p...I will wait for the deals. Thats why I am on this site. Quite honestly an HD/Bluray player will have to be cheap enough for me to justify its purchase in the first place, 1080p or not. I would rather wait until the war is over between the two formats. There is no definitive winner...one minute it is HD the next it is Bluray. I just missed the $99 dollar one from Walmart...I would have paid that much for 720p HD but not more.