*** Official WHAT DID YOU GET? / YOUR EXPERIENCES Discussion Thread ***

JeffDowney

I didn't go out today. Dh hit walmart this morning (they opened at 5, he was home by 5:15!) but we decided to skip the rest of the stores. All we have in town is Walmart. BB, Target, the mall... are 80 miles away. I got almost all I wanted from the online sales so it was not worth the drive, we would have spent more in gas and food than we would have saved money wise. I kinda of wanted to go anyway for the fun of it but the cold weather pushed us to stay home.

I made a quick stop at Walmart only becuase it was DEAD this morning in Cambridge, OH!! We showed up there almost 7am, lot was mostly empty. We strolled in, went right to electronics and ended up getting the laptop for $388 .. they had plenty in stock and no one looking. what they did not have was the video rocker for $30, never had any in stock just the regular plain ones. so why advertise if they won't have any? we checked right out and left, nothing else they had was of interested. I have to go to work but hubby and kids headed back out, taking a drive up towards the mall etc to see what else is going on.

I just finished my BF2008 shopping 90 minutes ago. I am pretty happy with my success rate. I shopped at 4 online stores since Wednesday, and hit 4 local stores this morning (all within 3 hours). I would say I got over 90% of the items on my list and spent around $400 (AR) for myself and $180 for my company.

Here is my in-line waiting time:

Meijer: 15min (#28 in line for a $30 OTD 7" LCD photo frame.)

Staples: 30min (#35 in line.)

OfficeMax: 40min (#6 in line.)

ACE Hardware: 0min (where is the line?) :D

:tired: :tired: :tired:

Our WM still had a huge stack of the Lexmark printers for $25.. they still have a stack of the digital cameras too! No one really hit them this year. We strolled in about 7am and it was pretty empty. Hubby and kids went over to Zanesville, about a 30 min drive from here to hit the other stores.. our Kmart had more action going on than the WM !

just got back from shopping. Very strange this year. Went to the mall and there was barely anybody there. Went to penneys to get a telescope and was out the door in 10 minutes. Last year I went to penneys and there was 3 times as many people there. I strolled around the mall no lines at the stores except for people looking for wii's at gamestop and fye. But the target at the mall had probably 400 people waiting to shop :eyepoppin People did tell me that our BB had lines wrapped around the building and so did TRU and Compusa. Walmart looked pretty dead when I drove past it on the way home.. Last year there parking lot was full all day.

I have gone every year for the last 15 years at least. I stayed home this year. I almost went for a TV but decided to look online instead. I ended up not buying one. I was also hoping to find a cheap desk top computer, for my 12 year old, no luck, I didn't want an e-mach. I was not impressed with the ads or prices this year. Most Black Fridays I shop for myself/husband and spend quite a bit on high ticket items. Considering retail sales are projected to be weak, I am surprised the stores didn't have better sales. They lost a couple of thousand from me today. Not only did I skip the TV and computer, but all the other stuff I pick up while out. Once I am out, I go all morning. Most likely I will not purchase the stuff I would have bought today at all now, because it is not stuff we really need. Black Friday is my personal selfish holiday, I justify spending money on myself because I get good deals. Most of my Christmas shopping is done. I am going to Home Depot for some cheap poinsettias and then coming home to decorate for the holidays and wrap presents.

Just got home from Target and got the hard drive I wanted.They only had three. They had to call the police at target as the electronics dept had a near riot because they sold out of x box 360s in less than 5 min.i tried to go to Toys r us, circut city and best buy but they had lines everywhere even though they were already open. this year has been the most insane I have ever seen. I'm not going back out and just going to see what i can get online.

Personally I think most of the sale items suck this year. I've seen our stores here packed on BF but not this year. About 4 years ago it was just like this though too. I just had a report from hubby who is still out and about with the kids and it's busy but not packed at Kohls, Gamestop and the mall. Kids are finding some stuff they want but that's about it. Circuit City still had the monitors from ad so that is a possiblity we'll grab one of those yet.

In order to get the feel of BF some of you have been experiencing, we had hubby walk behind me and the kids. Then let him push his way between us and run up to the store. Atleast he can get the experience without the cops and being trampled! LOL

I'm sitting out this year too. Most of the stuff I buy on BF is for myself. This year I just didn't see anything really worth going out for. I still got caught up in the fever a bit and was checking things online and constantly checking the boards here to see what people are up to. There were many things I missed in the ads when I scanned through them. So thanks to the great community here I was able to pick some things up online. The other factor that kept me in is I am now working 2 full time jobs. So having some time to sit at home and relax definitely sounded better. Also when I do see something I'd like I just have to ask myself "when would I use it" and that takes care of that. I still might go out later today just for something to do, but no definite plan to yet. I didn't realize I sat last year out too. I thought I went out but looking at my posts I didn't have any posts last year. Maybe next year since I'll have my credit cards paid down from working 2 jobs. Then I can go spoil myself.

My Walmart was nuts only because they got a shipment in of Wiis. 30++ people in line. Of course they lined them up right in electronics along with people in line for GPS systems, etc. It was a mess. I was in there to get the EA sports Madden 08 and NBA 08. Of course I was stuck in it too. UGH. But at least they rolled out a HUGE display of the games. By the time I paid for the games in electronics (that was a whole different mess), the Maddens were sold out! Only games left in a manner of 25 minutes was Tiger Golf 08.

Just got the 37'' lcd at target. It's good i was like the 7th person in line or i would of been waiting there for nothing. They don't have a ticket system so its run for it or your sol. I grab a cart the guy i was talking to say don't do that ...run!!!. I was thinking the target guy outside said they were on pallets, they will have enough. Wrong. I'm running with the car and i see like 5 left( i think they had 10 total) I picked one up, turned around to put it on cart, the cart was gone put it down, went to grab another and looked back and the tv i grabbed was gone. So i went over and grabbed the 2nd to last one and another lady had her hand on the other handle, she was a line cutter as i remember standing in the front of the doorway and telling the guy i talked to that watch these ladies, they are going to run to the door after us. Line was 1-200 ppl. I looked at her, "i don't think so lady, next time you go wait in line". She kept grabbing, guy i was talking to yelled at her, "YOU DAMN LINE CUTTING @*$(%, get the hell out of here before i call security. She looked at him i grabbed the tv and threw it in the cart. :cool: Never had that happen, first bf experience like that, was kind of cool lol. Have to admit the ticket system is better if you don't want to get into fights, but thats the fun of BF. :tongue1:

Ours had some Wii's out too and the kids were playing with it. I refuse to buy another game system right now though! haha My area, we only have Super WM, Super Kmart and some smaller stores, then you have to travel about 30 mins to next town to the mall and other stores. Now maybe they were busier and packed but I think there just weren't alot of great deals this year. I could have done without going. Almost skipped it, except I slept lousy and was up early anyways. So decided to head out and even if it was busy, it would have been interesting to see (maybe). I think I'll finish Christmas shopping online and scouting deals there.

Got the $299 all leather massage recliner at JCPenney. Before I saw this door buster, was only expecting to spend $30 this BF on stuff, but we were looking for a leather recliner for a while and this was a great price. Had to jump on it.

Other than that, 1 DS game at GameStop and DVDs at BB/CC/Target. Got everything I wanted without any problems. A pretty good BF.

I live in southwest florida where it was probably a comfy 70 degrees out last night and I would not even consider camping out or standing in a line! I went to Target, Michaels and TRU around 7 to 9 and got most everything I wanted. The stores were crowded but not unbearable. I still don't understand what BB had that was worth that wait?????

BestBuy:

Microsoft Wireless Optical Notebook Mouse 4000 $17

500G MyBook external HDD $99

22" Envision Widescreen monitor $149

TomTom-ONE LE GPS $119

Staples:

NAVIGON 2100T $99

550VA/330 WATT BATTERY BACKUP/UPS $24

I had not planned on getting the 22" Widescreen or the TomTom. I bought the mouse and the HDD at BestBuy and then hung around and added the monitor and the TomTom to my cart just in case I talked myself into buying them. I forgot they were there until much later in the day. When I checked my cart later they were still there but the website was showing them sold out. That helped me decide to finish my purchase. I will probably sell the TomTom since I got the Navigon (that has text to speech).

-MaxPower

Woke up around 7:30 this morning, checked CC.com for grins, and sure enough the $399 HDTV was still in stock with free shipping. I just couldn't convince myself to buy it though. I couldn't help but feel bad for all of the people who camped out for hours (if not overnight completely) for this stuff, only to be able to just click a button online after sunrise and do the same thing.

Wow seems like some of ya got lucky about Best Buy doing PM...went there and they said "no we don't do that on BF"

But I can tell you my experience in commercial style...

15 minutes in Target $20

15 minutes in Best Buy $20

2 hours in Circuit City $40

Finally getting out of the line from he** in Circuit City PRICELESS

If for once CC employees would work efficently the line would move so much better. I watched the associate...

Pick up item

Scan bar code

Hit key on keyboard

Lay item down

REPEAT

AFTER DONE

Swipe item over de-magnatizer one at a time...

Average time for one item around 20-30 seconds, when it should take no more then 10...

How hard is...LIFT, SCAN, PRESS, SWIPE

The guy who replaced the other girl did that and I was done in seconds.

CC get some competent employees and get rid of the stupid method you use for checkout of hitting enter after each scan and the long receipts.

Not sure if this is the correct place to post this, but got to TRU this morning at 3:40, and there were people who had camped out and stuff, which we usually dont see at TRU here.......Anyway, we got in line, waited until 5am, and when the they opened, somebody (must have been an employee) opened the exit doors and two men went in and bought every Zune they had to resell on Ebay. This must have been a set up, because I have been going out on BF for 10 years and those doors always stay closed. Nobody stopped them from going in.....my mom spoke with the manager later and he said he was in the office and did not realize what happened until it was too late. As if that was not bad enough, they did not even receive the Transformers Optimus Prime that was on their ad, and there were people buying the $9.99 mp3 players by the entire display rack....AND, one lady every took one right out of another lady's hand!!! The employees were hateful, and all but one manager was very hateful. They will not ever get any more of my money for sure! People were pushing and yelling and cursing....it was the worst I have seen in 10 years of doing this.