Zune or Ipod Nano

ddelp

Hi! I have not tried the IPOD, but have a 30gb Zune (it's the brown one that Toys R Us is running tomorrow for 79.99). I am so impressed with how easy it is to use that I am buying one for my 9 year old dd for Christmas. Instead of itunes, they have ZunePass, which is 14.99 per month for unlimited use and you can use it one up to three computers and three zunes. Hope that helps.

Ok I just looked on BB site and the zunes are all ALOT MORE than 79.99 I did not make the TRU deal and although I want one, I am finding it hard to justifying paying $140+ when I knew they were so cheap a few days ago.:mad:

So Is the price coming down? Or are the $142- $189+ prices already the "low" Cyber Monday prices?? :eek:

ok I just found some site I think called BPBargins and it says that Dell Biz is selling brown zune for 96 dollars + free shipping, anyone know is this reliable place to order from, nothing refurbished or anything?

Do you think I should hurry and order this or wait and see if it is cheaper somewhere Monday???

I am a cyber monday virgin..;)

or just misinformed....

so the Zune can play unencrypted MP3s....that's good...since I HATE DRM...

It can, but you can not play any music/movies/TV shows on it that has been downloaded from Itunes. This is what I found out about this past weeked.

Otherwise, it seems to take a lot more types of files than what I've seen posted on the internet while doing my own research. The music seems to be no problem, but when it comes to movies or TV shows, they do have to be in a certain format in order for it to play on the Zune. In which case, you may have to buy converter software to convert the movie files over to the correct format for the zune to play them.

Quite the pain in the butt so far and there are no a lot of options for places to download movies for the Zune (or that I have found yet). So far it seems to be heavily focused on being a music player for now.

I've only had mine for a week now, so this is what I've found thus far.

ok I just found some site I think called BPBargins and it says that Dell Biz is selling brown zune for 96 dollars + free shipping, anyone know is this reliable place to order from, nothing refurbished or anything?

Do you think I should hurry and order this or wait and see if it is cheaper somewhere Monday???

I am a cyber monday virgin..;)

You could go through dell.com to get that deal, and no it wasn't refurbished. I just checked though and it looks like it's selling for $200 now, the sale must have ended yesterday. If you can get it through that site you shouldn't have any issues as it should be coming through Dell. Good luck.

herculesmomma, there should be free programs to download to convert files so they are usable on the Zune. I'm unsure if I'm allowed to post them here, but you're welcome to PM and I can forward you the link I found, or type it into Google and search (that's what I did.) I haven't gotten my Zune yet, so I cannot say that this works, but I know they state you can use it to get movies you own on DVD to play on the Zune. HTH

You could go through dell.com to get that deal, and no it wasn't refurbished. I just checked though and it looks like it's selling for $200 now, the sale must have ended yesterday. If you can get it through that site you shouldn't have any issues as it should be coming through Dell. Good luck.

herculesmomma, there should be free programs to download to convert files so they are usable on the Zune. I'm unsure if I'm allowed to post them here, but you're welcome to PM and I can forward you the link I found, or type it into Google and search (that's what I did.) I haven't gotten my Zune yet, so I cannot say that this works, but I know they state you can use it to get movies you own on DVD to play on the Zune. HTH

Thank for the offer and I may just PM you and see what you've been using. I've done a few conversions already with some free software, but I also picked up a virus or tracking bug from somewhere. It may not have been the free conversion software, but one of the bootleg music/movie sites? Regardless, I was able to uninstall all the software and clean up the computer before any serious damage was done.

It just took quite the education to figure it all out (ex. what files the zune would take and what software would convert certain file extensions to the zune as each software was different). I also tried converting a DVD I had, but it seemed to run for hours and hours, so I gave up on it and cancelled it after the 3rd try. Downloading files were time consuming as well, but that really isn't the fault of the Zune. (that one might be my fault as I had downgraded my internet access to a slower speed a few months ago).

I'm by no means an expert at this stuff, but I'm also by no means an idiot when it comes to computers in general. And I found it took me quite a few days to figure out all this video conversion stuff (okay, so I didn't want to have to pay for a lot of what I was experimenting with since I am just experimenting right now). I can't say I feel very successful after a few days of work. I was able to get two downloaded movies onto the Zune and 2 TV shows though.

It's certainly not impossible for someone who is not afraid to try some new things to get something to work on the computer. But not what I would call "easy" for a novice. Compare that to the Itunes store where you can easily download what you want virus free (of course, you do have to pay for the stuff) and it seems more idiot proof than dealing with the non-existant zune video marketplace. I don't like the fact that the lack of movies/TV shows force you to find "alternative" sites to get what you want.

That said, I'm in love with the Zune so far. I just wish it was easier to get video content onto the darn thing. Music was a breeze though.

Just my 2 cents! :)