All Lanes Open

daworths8

Exactly!! That drives me crazy that they have 32 lines and only 10 open. I guess this campaign only proves that Walmart is aware of the problem and won't do anything about it b/c we are still shopping there. So many times I've felt that I just wanted to leae my full buggy in the line and leave.

BTW I didn't go to Walmart yesterday -- they had nothing I wanted.

I can tell you I have left a buggy in line more than 5 times. IF I have been in line long enough for the ice cream I picked up the SECOND before I headed to the checkout is melting than I probally don't want any cold/frozen meats and foods that have thawed. :mad: Sadly in my small town I always end up back in one of the endless lines :yuck: in a few days

It's pretty funny that every one can sit here and complain about how the lines are so long and they never have all the lines open. Until you work at a Wal-Mart and are put over the front end and relize how hard it is to hire people that don't apply for that position of a cashier, You just will never understand. I would get this all the time when I first took over the front end your lines are to long, open more. But our unemployement rate is so low in my area it was really hard to hire up.

There are so many things that play into the amount of registers that are open at any given time. I work in a store that does about 2 million in sales a week and there is never a time that I have all 32 of my lines open. But guess what on Friday I had all 32 lines open :yup: And for the past 6 weeks things have been really great.

I am in retail management, so I understand how hard it is to hire up for the front end. However, when I see long lines, every available manager in the store hops onto the register if there are no other associates to be had. (I also have issues with hiring- I work in a specialty retail company where everyone wants the fun job and no one wants to cashier or stock)

Unfortunately, when I used to shop at Wal-Mart on a regular basis, I would watch front end managers stand around in a group and talk about nothing or stare at their symbol guns willing the lines away so they wouldn't have to get on a register. And I have seen this on BF!!

I really hope Wal-Mart continues with the all lanes open, and understand it's all about customer service, ultimately. BUT- this campaign would not have had to take place if the lines were monitored and there was a policy or procedure for this problem. This is a company wide problem, not a regional one- Wal-Mart has admitted this by adding the campaign. The public was asking for the appropriate amont of lanes open, not all of them open, and now the company had to overcompensate for this, as they should rightly do. I wonder how WM's P&L was affected by this?:eek:

ydkjman, I do respect you for all of your effort.It's a hard job, no matter what the company. I always tell people that you haven't lived until you've worked retail management!

It's pretty funny that every one can sit here and complain about how the lines are so long and they never have all the lines open. Until you work at a Wal-Mart and are put over the front end and relize how hard it is to hire people that don't apply for that position of a cashier, You just will never understand. I would get this all the time when I first took over the front end your lines are to long, open more. But our unemployement rate is so low in my area it was really hard to hire up.

There are so many things that play into the amount of registers that are open at any given time. I work in a store that does about 2 million in sales a week and there is never a time that I have all 32 of my lines open. But guess what on Friday I had all 32 lines open :yup: And for the past 6 weeks things have been really great.

My ds17 has been trying to get a job at our local Walmart for the past two months. He calls just about every day and talks to a hiring manager. He always gets "I haven't had a chance to pull your application". A girl that now works there called for three months straight before they finally told her when she could start. It shouldn't be that difficult to get a job. You would think they need extra help this time of year and would want to get people in as quick as possible! :gdparanoid:

It is funny that people sit here and complain (sarcastic), however, A BIG HOWEVER to YDKJMAN...

I was a Front-End Manager (CSM/CSS) with Wal-Mart, and yes it is VERY TOUGH to operate the front-end....

H O W E V E R, with that said...

IF your company is going to ADVERTISE on NATIONAL TV that they have MORE LANES open to serve you (the customer) better, one would EXPECT, now correct me if I AM WRONG, one would expect when they go in to Wal-Mart they would have...DRUUUUMROOOOLLL PLEASE..........MORE LINES OPEN?

I went to WM last night around 7pm...NO express lanes open, 4 self checkouts open with people trying to self scan 100 plus items, and 3 regular lanes open at a supercenter. Now, you tell me, wouldn't you be frusturated if you came across that???

And "Princez916", I feel for your ds17...I recently heard from a friend still working with WM, that they have a new hiring system that is all computerized, and it supposedly is more difficult than the old one...this new system gives a personality test, matches people in specific cities to specific stores based on their availablity. The best way to get hired is to have OPEN availability, that will get you into the store and being interviewed quite quickly!