*** Official Black Friday 2007 (Desktops/Laptops) Comparison Charts ***

stationchief

Agree with all the above except the core2duo, this is so much better ( I can drop a Phenom or a Bulldozer Quad core in it in 2008, 2009 and even begin of 2010), and I cant find anything better in these ads.

What Teir 1 maker uses Raptors anyway? Besides, no one is yet putting 8800GT's in anyway, and that is what I want in SLI, so it is best to get it without a card in it yet anyway.

Yeh, I admit it's upgradable and is a good starting point for die-hard gamers. But to drool, it does not just yet. Guess if 'ya want something done 'ya gotta do it yourself sometimes.

Great job station chief- being as inept as I am - this much info is just confusing me more though- does any one have an opinion on which would be the best laptop to try for- if all ireally need is to surf the net and play a (very) few games??

My original intentin was to make another category to sort the laptops/desktops by recommendation: Layman, Internet Junkie, Die-Hard Gamer, and so on. I never got around to doing it.

Anyhoo, just sort the list by price and pick the lowest priced one that has at least 1 Gig of memory. That one would do just fine for basic usage and internet. You can just mentally block out the rest of all that techno-babble data. :D

Updated the charts to CompUSA's announcement about the memory in the DV9407NR being 1 GB not 2, max capacity, and the gift card and apology offer.

Man, my charts page is gettin some hits on it. Please be gentle with my web page! It's still a baby! :D

I saw that there is a typo with that laptop this is the one that I am getting what kind off memory should I get? I see that they have a PNY 2GB(2x1GB) PC2-5300 667MHz DDR2 SODIMM Memory Kit for $49.99 and that would work with this laptop?

I saw that there is a typo with that laptop this is the one that I am getting what kind off memory should I get? I see that they have a PNY 2GB(2x1GB) PC2-5300 667MHz DDR2 SODIMM Memory Kit for $49.99 and that would work with this laptop?

Correct. It's part #344987, the pair of 1 GB PC25300 DIMMs. Don't forget to ask for your gift card to get it for free and for free installation.

Was horrible, need to start from scratch next time....J/k.

I think it was a good setup, but I think that instead of setting it up as being by store, maybe have it layed out so that the price was the object. So, it starts with the $299 pc, then the $315, etc on up so you know and compare whether it is worth it to spend the extra $50 or so, then worry about what store. I think your idea of setting it up as "gamer, lowend, etc" will already be worked in that way due to price, but having some nice "guides" on it would be good.

i.e. "this pc is top of the line, but unless you plan on using it to watch tv, it is not worth paying the extra $150 over the next lowest model to get the remote and tv tuner card"

Was horrible, need to start from scratch next time....J/k.

I think it was a good setup, but I think that instead of setting it up as being by store, maybe have it layed out so that the price was the object. So, it starts with the $299 pc, then the $315, etc on up so you know and compare whether it is worth it to spend the extra $50 or so, then worry about what store. I think your idea of setting it up as "gamer, lowend, etc" will already be worked in that way due to price, but having some nice "guides" on it would be good.

i.e. "this pc is top of the line, but unless you plan on using it to watch tv, it is not worth paying the extra $150 over the next lowest model to get the remote and tv tuner card"

Did you try clicking on the 'Price' header? That'll sort it by price, as will clicking on any other category (processor speed to find the fastest, finding the one with more memory, etc). Didn't have time to write out an instruction manual for the thing. :tongue1: Far as categories, that's a good idea long as there's some guidelines to follow. Llke, just as an example, 1 GB or less memory or lower-end graphics chip PCs being for 'layman', and 2 GB or more memory + dual-core processor + dedicated graphics card for 'diehard gamer'.

Thanx for the input. I need it to improve on myself. :D

No, when I scroll over it it gives me no indication that it has a sort feature, tried it and it worked wonderful, but had no idea until just now that I could. No users manual...but also it did not change my pointer to even let me know it was possible.

Did you set up the processor speed listing by benchmark, or by just plain listed ghz? Just asking as we know a 1.8ghz celeron is not a 1.8ghz core2 is not a 1.8ghz amd X2 even despite speed # being equal.