50 inch Hitachi plasma under $1000

jperzo

Hitachi - 50" 1080i Flat-Panel Plasma HDTV for under $1000. The actual price is $996.99. I saw this today and almost got it. I wanted to do a little research first and ask if anyone knows about these. From what I have seen from the ads this is a pretty good deal. Model: P50H401

Now I noticed it is 1080I. On a 50 inch palsma will you see a big difference betwenn a I and P? I asked if the guy could put a DVD in to see but it was a regular DVD player and it was demo disk. I looked ok but then it is in the store and all that. I will also be hooking my Xbox 360 up to my new TV.

Anythoughts on this TV?

Thanks

I purchased at BB for 897 (996-10% discount for reward zone). Its going to be delivered tomorrow. I compared 1080p with 1080i next to each other at Sears....you cannot really tell the difference. On top of you are getting 50in under 1000.

True 1080p gives you that "live" look (the "soap opera" look)... some people actually find this a little frightening at first, because it's so different than what you normally see at the movies. I personally think it's awesome... It looks like you are watching the movie live. You should go to a store and see a 50+" 1080p TV with an HD-DVD or Blu-Ray player to truly see the power of 1080p. My Circuit City had Pirates of the Carribean playing on two TVs, both with Blu-Ray, the only difference was that one was 1080p and the other 720p/1080i. Now unless you have a blu-ray or HD-DVD player, you won't know what you're mising. And even in 720p on a 50" TV, the movie in Blu-Ray still looks stunning. It just won't look "life-like". True 1080p sets are basically trying to "future proof" your TV for when all HD programming will be 1080p.

so to answer your question of 1080p vs. 1080i/720p, you should ask yourself, will i be using a blue-ray or hd-dvd player any time soon?

if the answer is yes, do you want your movie to look like it does at the theater or better than the theater?

like the theater = 720p/1080i

better than the theater = 1080p.