Do you end up giving gifts to your kids before Christmas?

Shortness

I'm so mad at myself... I have already given two gifts to my teenager--because they seemed to be "convenient/needed" at a couple of occasions. That leaves me with 2 gifts that I need to make up for... Ugh!!! I haven't told my dh yet either, so I feel guilty too. They weren't huge cost items, but still... Do you ever do that? I think this is my first year... :(

I usually do this with DH.

I always get him something I'm sooo proud of, or something he's

ready to go out and buy before xmas. :mad: Then I end up giving him

that gift, cuz I dont want him buying it too!

I think he does this, cuz he "knows" I already bought it, cuz he just laughs.

No but I do let my kids open one small present on christmas eve though. My DH is the one that cannot stand waiting. A few years back he bought me a laptop and for two weeks prior he kept asking me if I wanted it now instead. I kept saying no I woud rather wait until Christmas to get my present. Around the 17th he came into the room and begged me to please open it now because he couldnt stand waiting anymore lol. He knew how much i really wanted a laptop but would never ask for one. I caved because I couldnt stand listening to him anymore. I was extremely happy when I opened it, but told him that from now on he is going to have to do his shopping for me like two days before christmas.

I usually do this with DH.

I always get him something I'm sooo proud of, or something he's

ready to go out and buy before xmas. :mad: Then I end up giving him

that gift, cuz I dont want him buying it too!

I think he does this, cuz he "knows" I already bought it, cuz he just laughs.

Are you married to my husband? He got his GPS already because he was about to go out & buy it!

I just handed DD a pair of gloves that she was going to get for hanukah.

I often buy stuff for DH while he is there, or that I need his input for. The deal is he can't have it till hanukah, and he has to act suprised. works pretty well.

Oh, and the rule is, you are not allowed to buy yourself stuff after... (insert date here)

Oh, and the rule is, you are not allowed to buy yourself stuff after... (insert date here)

LOL...My daughters just told me last week, that starting in August next year that I am not allowed to buy anything for myself...just put it on a list. They say I am the hardest person to buy for, small stuff I just go and get the big stuff is beyond their budget.

As for handing out gifts early I am the worse, sometimes I am so excited about something that I can't wait, pretty good with the grandkids things, but dd's and so's I am horrible end up spending more money. Of course I don't hear them complaining about it.

My DH is the one that cannot stand waiting. A few years back he bought me a laptop and for two weeks prior he kept asking me if I wanted it now instead.

This sounds just like hubby and I. I bought him a laptop several years ago and he had no idea. I bugged him so much to open it, that he finally opened it 2 weeks before Christmas. LOL.

The kids will usually open something on Christmas eve. I have given my dd a gift early before because she could have used it at the time. So don't feel bad... most of us have probably done it. LOL

My son got his PSP early. He got $120 for his birthday and had other money saved up. Was begging me to bring him to the store to buy one! So I caved and he got it early. Now he wants to spend his money on games. Told him to hold off till after christmas as I bought a lot of games. (I already wrapped them so darned if I remember all of them!).

I won't replace that gift though as it was his "big gift" for this year. At 13 though, he didn't care. Just wanted his PSP!

i must be weak. i was beyond myself trying to comfort DD and soothe her (she's 15mos now!) that I gave her one of her gifts early - it's a cushy teddy bear.

on the plus side, she's so young i don't think it makes a difference. she's more interested in the wrapping paper and bows at this age!

We give to the Lions Club, so when they come to pick up the toys, I let each one of them open one present, MY picking! That way they don't fell bad about giving their stuff away and I explain to them how good it feels to get something new and that they did a wonderful thing by giving their stuff to someone who will enjoy it as much as they did.

I was going to say the same thing, my boys are 3 and 4 and I LOVE to get them matching new pajamas, and they open them early so they can wear them together for Christmas. I might even give them a couple days before Christmas Eve...but not much earlier, because I want them to be FRESH for Christmas morning.

As for toys...I really try hard not to let them have anything early.

No I am good about holding stuff till Christmas. I made the rule for ours last year no buiyng after Nov. 15 th I would have list made and then have to change it. I must admit though I had DS a luggage set put away for Christmas, birthday or graduation (Had not decided) but he already has it, the need was there, as he had three trips to take and no luggage, so I gave it to him. He was so excited and relieved to have something decent to use.

Yep we do a gradual Christmas present opening in our house.

I hate watching people open gifts so fast that you don't even know what you opened, who gave it to you and what it exactly was. I know there are many ways to combat it but I decided that there is nothing better than getting a gift and sitting down and figuring it out. For that very reason, we open them gradually.

There isn't a particular rhyme or reason...it depends on how busy the season is for us...but we open one I pick for them at some random time before Christmas Day...always one on Christmas Eve...there is always one left on Christmas Day... sometimes the first day of vacation they open one if we are just all home relaxing. Most of the times they get a video game or a dvd and we can have a nice afternoon spending it all together playing or watching.

It ends up being a nice family moment instead of a rush and such great anticipation that we don't enjoy the little moments. It works for us.

No and this year both of my kids have come to me wanting me to take them to the mall so they can pick up stuff they've been saving their money for.

We had a huge fight last night because I am such a mean mom that I wouldn't take them to Best Buy. I stood my ground - both of the things they wanted to buy with their saved money were things that I had or will be getting them for Christmas. Plus I have all my family asking me what my kids want for Christmas. I told them they had to make me a list since I wasn't going to let them buy anything - geez .. it's not like they have to wait a year for a CD ..

My rule is no buying stuff for yourself after Nov 1. lol

My Mom was always a stickler about that with me, no gifts before Christmas eve, and I usually had to beg to open that one.

DH, on the other hand, can't stand to not give things away as soon as he buys them. One year he had several things for me that he'd started buying around the first of December. 2 weeks before Christmas he was pestering me to open them, so I opened something every day for awhile. Now I tell him to either buy things early and give them to his Mom so the temptation isn't so strong for him, but he still struggles. Last year I got a leather jacket a week before Christmas, he just couldn't stand it. I need to ask his Mom if he got to open gifts early when he was a kid.

Nope, I don't. I don't care if it's a .97 lip gloss or Hot Wheels. I have never caved. The closest my kids come to getting anything early from us is on Christmas Eve. The know they always have pajamas to open the night before Christmas.

i decided this year that this is a great idea! got my little one pjs and an ornament to open on christmas eve..bought myself a pair of pjs while I was at it. i was thinking how cute the christmas morning pictures would be!

No, I don't do this, instead I end up putting a couple presents away for their birthdays. Both are in Feb.

this was me today! i looked around at what I have bought for her and although I haven't spent a ton of money (thank you polly coupons) I have a ton of stuff! so i pulled out a couple of things for valentines day and her easter basket! both are done and she still has plenty for christmas!