GottaDeal v3 Suggestion Thread

Brad

I think 3 days worth of deals would be a good amount. That way if someone doesn't check in over the weekend, when they come to the site Monday they'll see the deals from Saturday, Sunday and Monday.

Then you'll be able to go to the previous 3 days on the next page, then 3 more days back, etc...

I still don't think we need a full-fledged FS/FT forum at this point. I see no reason why anyone can't just post in the lounge (or in the future tech/computers forum) listing what they have and their references. If it gets to the point where we have so many threads that it clutters up those forums, then we can have a dedicated board, but I don't think it's needed right now.

If the concern is about not letting every newcomer buy or sell, maybe we can look into ways to prevent abuse.

Anyone else have any thoughts one way or another on having a dedicated FS/FT board?

I don't think a FS/FT forum is warranted - at least not at the moment. Heck, I've been the only one who's posted a list on here... and a lot of attention that list has gotten. :g_laughin

If other people would have followed suit, then perhaps we can consider it - until then...

I think 3 days worth of deals would be a good amount. That way if someone doesn't check in over the weekend, when they come to the site Monday they'll see the deals from Saturday, Sunday and Monday.

Then you'll be able to go to the previous 3 days on the next page, then 3 more days back, etc...

What about the last 24 hours' worth of deals with graphics and anything older with only text links? Or maybe text links with a short description. Maybe have a separate link for anything older than say 3 or 4 days with only short descriptions. I simply love the pictures associated with each deal. There's no other deal site I've found that does it. Big time kudos for that. :g_thumpsu

I also really like the idea of having a universal login that would allow you to customize deal viewing to your liking.

Along with Michael, I also love the current layout and organization. I'm tempted to suggest leaving the site as it is because I think it's so great. :)

The only other thing that I could suggest would be to somehow garner more content. I am unsure of the workload that conducting a deal site places on the 'bargain gods,' but perhaps more trusted members of the community could be allowed to post deals. Maybe even have a deal submission box or form to allow site visitors to contribute (which would be moderated, naturally).

I'm out of ideas for now. :)

What about the last 24 hours' worth of deals with graphics and anything older with only text links? Or maybe text links with a short description. Maybe have a separate link for anything older than say 3 or 4 days with only short descriptions. I simply love the pictures associated with each deal. There's no other deal site I've found that does it. Big time kudos for that. :g_thumpsu

I think that we should have more than a days worth on the home page. The descriptions will all be short because we are getting rid of the big paragraph of background info with each item for several reasons.

I also really like the idea of having a universal login that would allow you to customize deal viewing to your liking.

That is still being considered.

Along with Michael, I also love the current layout and organization. I'm tempted to suggest leaving the site as it is because I think it's so great. :)

Nothing about the layout and organization will really change too much. All the old links will work. Everything will pretty much be where it is now.

The only other thing that I could suggest would be to somehow garner more content. I am unsure of the workload that conducting a deal site places on the 'bargain gods,' but perhaps more trusted members of the community could be allowed to post deals. Maybe even have a deal submission box or form to allow site visitors to contribute (which would be moderated, naturally).

The best way for our members to post deals is to post them here on the forum. Assuming they are "hot enough", we can quickly find an appropriate image and post them on the main site. We've done this several times and give credit to the person who posted it. That's one of the main reasons we have this forum.

I'm out of ideas for now. :)

Thank you for them all :)

• 2 weeks later...

The best way for our members to post deals is to post them here on the forum. Assuming they are "hot enough", we can quickly find an appropriate image and post them on the main site. We've done this several times and give credit to the person who posted it. That's one of the main reasons we have this forum.

Would have to agree this is an excellent way of adminstrating such an idea. Better to leave the control in the hands of the few at the top.

Any further progress/updates/previews?

I don't remember how we did it. Some of the boards allow IMG tags, but I don't know if any allow uploading attachments. When we first started the forum we were on a VPS, so we were worried about BW. Now that we are on a dedicated server, that may be possible. We might try it and as long as it doesn't get abused, we'll keep it.

Now that we are on a dedicated server, that may be possible. We might try it and as long as it doesn't get abused, we'll keep it.

That's my main concern and will become more important as our membership base grows.

Currently I recommend using a free pichosting service such as:

One option would be to implement it with a realistic max filesize (just so we don't have people posting their fullsize 5MP digicam pics), and possibly hotlinking protection if needed.

What boards besides the Lounge would need image attachments turned on?

I understand the concern regarding bandwidth (and perhaps speed... do avatars [and maybe images] get stored in the DB, or does it have its own folder in the file structure?) - and to that I say we can always limit the size (and format) of the file. Not really a big issue for me whether we enable it or not - it's just something I thought about while helping out nineofus with her avatar.

What boards besides the Lounge would need image attachments turned on?

That's it, I guess. Do we need it for Offline Hot Deals/Grocery Coupons? You know, just in case people want to share scanned paper ads that can't be found online? Or receipts perhaps? I don't know - just throwing it out there.

Which leads me to a curious question: can you scan coupons, print them out, and use it in a store? Probably a stupid question, but I'd like to hear the answer.

The "stock" avatars are in their own folder, and I believe that the custom ones are stored in the database. Smilies are also stored in their own folder.

Hmmm... so it's just the custom avatars that get stored in the DB? That's good then... how about attachments - or images, rather?

What we could do is allow those members with at least 50 posts to upload attachments. Just like we allow them to have custom avatars and titles at that point.

That is easy to do with vB, and it would prevent some abuse. vB allows us to set a max filesize limit as well, but that's the total limit for all attachments combined for each person. I have no idea what a good limit would be, so maybe that would be made unlimited.

What we could do is allow those members with at least 50 posts to upload attachments. Just like we allow them to have custom avatars and titles at that point.

Good idea. You can even make that a higher number if you want to... you know, just to make sure. :g_laughin

That is easy to do with vB, and it would prevent some abuse. vB allows us to set a max filesize limit as well, but that's the total limit for all attachments combined for each person. I have no idea what a good limit would be, so maybe that would be made unlimited.

Hmmm... figure maybe 5-10 images at, say 1MB each - 5-10MBs? That way, users would need to delete old attachments/images if they want to upload new ones - making it, essentially, a self-policing system.

OK, I have (hopefully) turned on file attachment for users with 50 or more posts. Someone should try to attach a pic in this thread to test it out.

We are most likely going to raise the minimum number of posts required to get the custom avatar/title & attachment priviledges from 50 to 100, just as soon as I can figure out how to make sure those who currently have between 50 and 99 posts still can keep their "goodies".

I think I have it done. You now need 100 posts to get:

* a custom avatar

* a custom title

* the ability to attach files

* increased PM limits

Those forum members with 50-99 posts currently will still get these things. If someone has 48 or 49 posts and wants me to bump them, send me a PM and state your case :)