What do you do to help you wake up early on BF? merged

BoulderChick

I nap throughout turkey day after eating and watching cowboys play - go to bed early after my mom and I figure out our plan of action on BF. She wakes me up at like 3:30am. I typically wear comfortable "work out" type clothes to bed so I can practically get out of bed and be ready to go lol

I work for movie gallery and I have to work thanksgiving day. Which means no sleep for me! :eyepoppin I'm not one of these people who can go without sleep. I literally get sick to my stomac. :yuck: I don't want to fall asleep with my 13 yr old cousin in the car. We go overy year. She talks about it all year. I don't want to ruin this for her!!! :no: I was thinking of taking a sleeping pill as soon as I get off work on thanksgiving day. But I'm afraid it won't wear off in time. :tired: An ideas on staying awake and keeping my energy up? My first sale starts at 4 am and I have a 2 hour drive! :razz: I'll be crazy after this year!! :razz:

Not going isn't an option. I've gone every year since I was 8 years old and took a boxed bicycle to the head so my sister would have a good christams. I WILL go. Plus I'm Mormon so I can't drink coffee or caffine. :cheesy: Crazy I know but I'm not going to mess with God! :fluffy:

"What hours are you working?

Could you eat A LOT of turkey on your break? That will make sure you're sleepy when you get home!

Maybe it sounds weird, but orange juice always helps to wake me up if I'm super sleepy."

I'm probably getting off at 9 pm. LOL At Movie Gallery we don't get breaks. Seriously. Our breaks are periodical moments during the day when we have no cusstomers but as its thanksgiving there will be no break.

what does caffeine have anything do to with God???????

I mean the pills are not different than caffeine. they are all synthetic.

I understand your confusion but my religion is mine so don't knock it. As for the sleeping pills since they make me sleep but don't change my personality or mood I can take them from time to time.

I would suggest buying some Melatonin pills in the cherry flavor from GNC.

What are they? What do they do?

1. OJ is a must. there's a reason why it cures hangovers

2. Get yourself some vitamin B6

3. Get some ginseng tea

4. If you are driving, keep the heat at a minimum. It'll make you more sleepy if you are too warm. Also, at brief intervals open the windows wide and blast yourself with some cold air. Your passengers won't like it, but darn if it's not refreshing and eyepopping.

5. There are energy drinks out there that do NOT have caffiene in them. I forget what it's called but GNC had it last year - comes in a metal can. My co-workers drank it and seriously it was like the woman was on speed. But she was on point so I can't complain.

6. Eat a good meal after you wake up. You'll need the fuel.

7. STAY HYDRATED. Drink as much WATER as you can while you are at work. It's amazing, but the more hydrated you are the more energy you'll have.

er.. and please hit those little quote buttons before you respond.. lol i'm having a hard time telling what you're saying and what you're responding too. just my 2 cents of course.

good luck

1. OJ is a must. there's a reason why it cures hangovers

2. Get yourself some vitamin B6

3. Get some ginseng tea

4. If you are driving, keep the heat at a minimum. It'll make you more sleepy if you are too warm. Also, at brief intervals open the windows wide and blast yourself with some cold air. Your passengers won't like it, but darn if it's not refreshing and eyepopping.

5. There are energy drinks out there that do NOT have caffiene in them. I forget what it's called but GNC had it last year - comes in a metal can. My co-workers drank it and seriously it was like the woman was on speed. But she was on point so I can't complain.

6. Eat a good meal after you wake up. You'll need the fuel.

7. STAY HYDRATED. Drink as much WATER as you can while you are at work. It's amazing, but the more hydrated you are the more energy you'll have.

er.. and please hit those little quote buttons before you respond.. lol i'm having a hard time telling what you're saying and what you're responding too. just my 2 cents of course.

good luck

Sorry. I'm new. I like your suggestions. Thankx. All the ideas are totally do able and I will take your advice.

Benadryl helps you sleep and wears off quicker then sleeping pills! I work steady night shift and several of us use this to help get sleep before work. It is safe and not habit forming. I also use energy drinks but I'm sure they have caffeine.

Watch out though... too much water and you'll be having to pee instead of shopping! http://s23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/Marcster2005/Smileypad/Non-Smiling/Flushed.gif

Even if you can't get much sleep, I would still suggest you get as much as you can! Then when you get up, start moving around and getting yourself going as soon as you can-- even do some quick exercises or take a quick walk if you need to-- to get your blood pumping and your body in a more alert mode.

Grab a big, hot cup of cider and a handful of gingersnap cookies. Hot cider affects me similarly to hot chocolate or flavored coffee, as far as warming me up and making me more alert. And the ginger in the cookies is great for calming a queasy stomach (I used to always keep some in my car, for mornings I was in a hurry, feeling blah, and didn't want breakfast that early)....

The suggestions about a cool car are good too.... and if your cousin doesn't mind, turn the car radio up loud and both of you sing along to a CD full of Christmas music or just silly songs!! :D

HTH!! ;)

You can always "get sick" a few hours before the end of you shift and have to go home. Make a couple of mad dashes to the bathroom with your hand over your mouth.:yuck:

I would think lying that would clash with heavenlyvalo's beliefs in the same way that drinking coffee would... :yup:

Taking sleeping pills is the worst option. You need at least 8 hours dedicated to sleep following a sleeping pill. Sleeping pills are made for people with sleep disorders... not for convenience.

You said this:

As for the sleeping pills since they make me sleep but don't change my personality or mood I can take them from time to time.

Please know that although this does not happen to everyone- but there are reports of people have hallucinations or sleep walking (and getting into dangerous situations) while on these drugs. Medical studies have shown that sleeping pills can cause a hangover type feeling and withdrawl symptoms. Some of them can also be habit forming.

Hopefully the excitement of Black Friday will be enough for you ;)

Benadryl helps you sleep and wears off quicker then sleeping pills! I work steady night shift and several of us use this to help get sleep before work. It is safe and not habit forming. I also use energy drinks but I'm sure they have caffeine.

Benadryl is the active ingrediant in sleeping pills. same thing cheaper to buy benadryl though.

I have the same problem with feeling sick when i don't get enogh sleep. I need 7 hours which is quite a bit. I do ok for the first several hours as long as I eat something. Don't just eat sweets becasue that will affect your blood sugar. It iwll give you a high tehn drop you. That is when you will feel sick. Eat some sugar but make sure you eat some protein...cheese,meat,an egg etc. Proteins help level our your blood sugar so you can go longer. TAke a snack with you as well. Then when you are done shopping, go to bed. You may not be able to shop all day but a few hours should be fine. Just be careful driving.

Taking sleeping pills is the worst option. You need at least 8 hours dedicated to sleep following a sleeping pill. Sleeping pills are made for people with sleep disorders... not for convenience.

You said this:

Please know that although this does not happen to everyone- but there are reports of people have hallucinations or sleep walking (and getting into dangerous situations) while on these drugs. Medical studies have shown that sleeping pills can cause a hangover type feeling and withdrawl symptoms. Some of them can also be habit forming.

Hopefully the excitement of Black Friday will be enough for you ;)

Your right. Sleeping pills were a bad idea. I think I'll just work as hard as possible so I can be as tired as possible...

Even if you can't get much sleep, I would still suggest you get as much as you can! Then when you get up, start moving around and getting yourself going as soon as you can-- even do some quick exercises or take a quick walk if you need to-- to get your blood pumping and your body in a more alert mode.

Grab a big, hot cup of cider and a handful of gingersnap cookies. Hot cider affects me similarly to hot chocolate or flavored coffee, as far as warming me up and making me more alert. And the ginger in the cookies is great for calming a queasy stomach (I used to always keep some in my car, for mornings I was in a hurry, feeling blah, and didn't want breakfast that early)....

The suggestions about a cool car are good too.... and if your cousin doesn't mind, turn the car radio up loud and both of you sing along to a CD full of Christmas music or just silly songs!! :D

HTH!! ;)

Are you kidding she loves to sing. The great thing is that she makes me really hyper.

Watch out though... too much water and you'll be having to pee instead of shopping! http://s23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/Marcster2005/Smileypad/Non-Smiling/Flushed.gif

ha good point! make sure to take a potty break (or 20) before leaving to get in line :yup: