HD-DVD/Blu-Ray player deals; who has 'em?

bawker

ok i am sure that my hubby will be getting into this discussion once he gets home but here is me $0.02. we own a ps3 the frist version that came out last christmas, an a2 toshiba that was from walmart recently in the bedroom and an a3 toshiba in the living room. we have a pretty good 7.1 surround system although i am not a tech person so i have no idea. I have watched movies on all three players and honestly not that much difference when u watch the same movie(which is hard to do because people are taking sides) If you are just looking for something so you can be in on the trend go with what is in your budget. The war as it is is not over and you as the consumer will be the one that decides.

I am a tech junkie and have owned The Toshiba HD-A1 and A2 HD DVD players, as well as a PS3 and a Philips Blu-ray player. I have a pretty nice home theatre setup with a HD Projector with a 92" screen. I have 5.1 surround sound as well. What I have found is that both formats are basically the same as far as quality and ease of use is concerned.

BOTH types of players will do an outstanding job of playing DVDs and upconverting them for your HDTV.

Blu-ray has more studio support, but both formats have released about the same number of titles so far. Studio support can change with one press release, so we really don't know what will happen in the future. We do know that neither format has pulled away (or looks to pull away anytime soon) enough to cause the collapse of the other. We really don't know if one, both, or either format will survive past a niche phase at this point. What I can tell you is that your Blu-ray or HD DVD discs won't stop playing if a studio stops releasing movies on a particular format. And your DVDs (and Blu-ray or HD DVDs) will still look outstanding on your player even if either side stops selling players.

There is still plenty of uncertainty from both sides. If you would like to take advantage of a Hidef format, my suggestion would be buy an HD DVD player if you can get one for $100. That is an excellent price just for a great upconverting DVD player, let alone a Hidef disc player. Just make sure to look at what movies are available on either format before you make your final decision (you might like the selection of one format better than the other). Grabbing an older model PS3 for about $320 is an option out there as well if you want a Blu-ray player instead.

I picked up an A2 for $98 at Wal-mart a week and a half ago and can't see myself being disappointed for that price. I am thinking about going after the cheap PS3 as well.

:gdiagree: ^ "Most Logical Post of the Year" Award. :g_clap:

You're right.. I missed that, since I basically stopped following the bullsquash between both formats a while ago. Good to see they made the change. Now if they can only get their pricing down, get all the functionality that they've promised going, and then hopefully one format will die, ableit, I don't see that coming for a few years unless Warner does decide to hitch on with HD-DVD.

Price wise... HD-DVD is the way to go at the moment.

End it already. Sony needs to "save face" the most this time around, considering they got bombarded in beta/vhs war. But...when the studios see a low price point player, and joe blow buying them up at walmart, you can bet the studios are going to see which direction their hi def dvd sales will be.

As I said before... either one is fine.

My theory: I'm picking up a cheap HD-DVD player for now, and down the road when the price drops down on a PS3 I'll get one for gaming/blu-ray. I'm not a huge disney fan anyway. It certainly seems like Blu-ray is ALOT more expensive all around right now anyway.

Stay away from HD-DVD and go with Blu-Ray. The reason these HD players are getting so cheap is that they are losing the battle and are not backed by the "big" companies.

Did you just cut and paste right out of the BDA talking points or what? We are talking about deals, we dont need stupid fanboy crap

wow citrixguy i didnt know we were on here to call people stupid or fanboys...:(

I didn't call him/her stupid, just the crap that they posted. I would have been different if I have posted "you are just a stupid idiot..." I didn't. Please read what I post I bit more carefully in the future.