Chairs as line holders are you sick of it?

safool

Is it just me or the empty chair = I'm in line people starting to get out of hand?:eyepoppin Why should one person be able to hold spots in line for multiple people often for several hours? BB should either hand tickets out at an undisclosed time or have a couple of employees/security wach the line. People shouldn't be able to leave the line for more then a few minutes to use the restroom or grab some take out.

Ya, there was 2 guys last year that put 2 chairs down and went back in their cars. Just

sat there till about 4am. Mind you it was raining and everyone else was in line. It sucked

but hey,,what are you gonna do?

someone shoulda just blocked their view w/ a group of people or car then chucked their chairs :( that's messed up IMO... standing in teh freezing cold is part of the fun and tradition of black friday ;)

or someone else could just claim the chair as their own and everyone could look the other way :) I mean if they're not their to claim and protect their property rightfully anyone could claim it was abandoned on the side of a curb.

Is it just me or the empty chair = I'm in line people starting to get out of hand?:eyepoppin Why should one person be able to hold spots in line for multiple people often for several hours? BB should either hand tickets out at an undisclosed time or have a couple of employees/security wach the line. People shouldn't be able to leave the line for more then a few minutes to use the restroom or grab some take out.

Get there sooner, and then you will not have a complaint! I hear this so many times throughout the night about who is cutting, stealing, selling, or whatever, that I no longer entertain them. Admitting family members is a fact of life, as far as i am concerned. You just have to establish how many places, and no later additions to the line. Most people understand this. This is the reason for the chairs. I will be doing the same thing this year, but we also talk to our fellow line holders, and work together to get what we need, so it works out in the end. communication, and a good cup of coffee work wonders.:D

That's just not fair game for everyone. You should be physically there to hold your own spot and not show up before the sale starts. That's a bunch of BS. See you all in line:)

This depends upon the circumstances. Some ladies hit the outlet malls at midnight. Some leave to get others in line food, drink, or other supplies. I do not blame someone if it is raining, so long as everyone has the same chance to get out of the elements for a while, by trading out. Bathroom breaks are a given. You generally know who belongs in line by 3-4AM. My wife made smores, hot cocoa, and hot dogs for countless people, as her way of saying, "thank you",to all of the understanding people who let her attend the midnight sale without complaint. The complainers were always around the corner anyways!;)

I thought about standing outside this year, but my time is worth more than the saving I will get is not worth a night of misery.

I tried this last year: got to best buy at 11 a.m. the night before and stayed until 3 a.m. or so. It was awful - a little snow but temps around 0 degrees F. At that point, some people were doing surveys of what people at the front of the line wanted. With 50+ people in front of me and almost all of them saying they are getting a tiket for EVERYTHING, i gave up. I could understand if some poeple needed to jump out of line for a potty break, but it was ridiculous how much time people in the front were spending in warm cars.

It seems to be getting crazier every year. People are in line Thankgiving morning? No thanks. I usually wait until evening AFTER I've eaten and enjoyed my time with my family. Family is more important to me than standing in line with a bunch a yahoos:yuck:.

If I were the person in line behing the empty chair it would mean nothing to me, it really wouldn't be a big deal. I would simply move it off to the side (or maybe pass it down so I don't lose my spot in line, lol) and move up in the line...I'm sure the people behind me would do the same.

My biggest pet peeve on black friday is line cutters and line savers (except for bathroom or food breaks) I think if I am standing out there for 15+ hours and there is a chair in front of me and no one in it that chair will go behind me. I dont think you should be able to put a chair in place then go home and be warm and snug while I am freezing my tushy off.. thank goodness I have not come across chairs but I do come across line cutters last year the police was called on one line cutter and the cops told him if they get called again he would be arrested and made him go to the back of the line. He was none to happy:tongue1:

Live and let live. Geez you guys, this is the beginning of the CHRISTMAS SEASON!!!

Get there earlier and then you will be in front of your nemesis. Otherwise suck it up.

Yes, I had a chair out for my husband who was cleaning up the Thanksgiving dinner mess. (I'd rather sit in a cold line, he'd rather clean the kitchen-match made in heaven!) But I got there first. And the next people to show up didn't show for 3 hours. And they had a couple of chairs for family members taking care of the smaller children till grandma could get there. And so on and so on.

Either you can get there early or you can't. Last year was my first year I could do an overnighter. So I got there early to be FIRST! Then I ain't complaining about nobody but the guy trying to scam my tickets off me at 430. Beat it Buddy!

Live and let live. Geez you guys, this is the beginning of the CHRISTMAS SEASON!!!

Get there earlier and then you will be in front of your nemesis. Otherwise suck it up.

Yes, I had a chair out for my husband who was cleaning up the Thanksgiving dinner mess. (I'd rather sit in a cold line, he'd rather clean the kitchen-match made in heaven!) But I got there first. And the next people to show up didn't show for 3 hours. And they had a couple of chairs for family members taking care of the smaller children till grandma could get there. And so on and so on.

Either you can get there early or you can't. Last year was my first year I could do an overnighter. So I got there early to be FIRST! Then I ain't complaining about nobody but the guy trying to scam my tickets off me at 430. Beat it Buddy!

So ho many chairs do you think is fair for them to save??? I do get there early. I went at 3pm last year and got all I went for but if one person is saving 10 spots while the others are freezing and the other people who spots are saved are sitting at home watching tv or what ever and they come out 1 hour before the store opens . Is that fair to the people who been standing out for hours on end. I think not. I dont have real problem if a person is holding a spot for a spouse who will be there soon or someone waiting for thier babysitter to show but but not for hours and hours. Say you came at 3pm you put your chair there for your spouse and he shows up at 5pm. I wouldnt have a problem but if he showed up at 2 am I would. because I sat there from that same time in the cold. I know its christmas time and that is why I am standing out there to get my children thier christmas. So you shouldnt think its fair for you to save a spot for a long time and have people be happy about it and say get there earlier. Your spouse should get there earlier as well. If your saving just for an hour or so then I say its ok but any longer then No its not fair for the other people who waited in the cold for hours :mad:

And when I say I wouldnt mind if someone saved for an hour for a spouse that is if they asked the people around them if its ok .. its called being curtious to your neighbors ...

The original question didn't say 10 chairs, even I agree that is a bit ridiculous. With everything there is moderation.

There is another post going on saying you should have everyone sign in. I'm not too up on this suggestion, either. Getting way too into my business to sign up like I'm at a school open house.

The one thing we all seem to be saying in a million different ways and with high levels of aggression is -Make friends with the people around you so you can cover each other's backs. Biggest way to stop trouble before it stops.

I take a baseball bat and KO whatever's in my way. If it's an empty chair! Then it goes flying in the lot!!! If it's an old lady in a walker!!! GRRRRRRRRRR!!! POW!!!!! Flyball to Left Center of the highway!!!!! If it's a few kids huddled together to stay warm, singing "Give Peace a Chance??" POWWWW!!! SLAMMMMM!!!!!! CRRRAAACCKKKKKKK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

personally. I don't give a **** what they do, as long as they don't jump ahead of me......or else!!!!

I take a baseball bat and KO whatever's in my way. If it's an empty chair! Then it goes flying in the lot!!! If it's an old lady in a walker!!! GRRRRRRRRRR!!! POW!!!!! Flyball to Left Center of the highway!!!!! If it's a few kids huddled together to stay warm, singing "Give Peace a Chance??" POWWWW!!! SLAMMMMM!!!!!! CRRRAAACCKKKKKKK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

personally. I don't give a **** what they do, as long as they don't jump ahead of me......or else!!!!

Yeah...right. Another internet tough guy! :rolleyes:

:gdfunnypost:

I'm tolerant of it depending on a couple of things: 1) Where they're going 2) How long they'll be gone. If it's a mother that needs to go check on her baby and will come back in an hour up to two hours then fine it's the holidays. But if it's some person who just wants to go home and take a nap or go pick up money or things like that and is gone past an hour up to two hours I say forget them. They should have known it would be a big commitment to be there that long and should have made the necessary arrangements ahead of time. Last year some people were in line ahead of us and said they were going to target which was across the way so after an hour we just moved their stuff to the side and moved up in the line.

I don't agree with the empty chairs. How would you feel if people put empty chairs out the day before Thanksgiving? You show up for you place in line and there are already 50 chairs. It may not happen now, but that is what its coming to. Heck a few years ago nobody thought anyone would stand in line from 11pm Thanksgiving day just to get a moderatly price television.

If you want a place in line you need to make prior arrangements so you can stand in line or do your dinner the day before. Quite frankly I'm amazed that some people will knock someone over, steal from a cart but not move a chair.

I'm tolerant of it depending on a couple of things: 1) Where they're going 2) How long they'll be gone. If it's a mother that needs to go check on her baby and will come back in an hour up to two hours then fine it's the holidays. But if it's some person who just wants to go home and take a nap or go pick up money or things like that and is gone past an hour up to two hours I say forget them. They should have known it would be a big commitment to be there that long and should have made the necessary arrangements ahead of time. Last year some people were in line ahead of us and said they were going to target which was across the way so after an hour we just moved their stuff to the side and moved up in the line.

That was just plain stupidity. Someone in the family should have held the line place. This would have sent a clear intent of returning. If one member holds the places, a reasonable amount of time should be granted. There was a post once that stated a certain couple had to leave, but said that they were going on a food run. They brought back food for their line mates. Good communication is the key. The hour or two limit to join the spouse is a good start, when the line first forms.

I was there last year Thanksgiving day around 3 or 4pm. We were wanting the 32" Westy. We were first in line and we got what we wanted. Everybody who got in line after us said that because we were there so early they lined up. We even made the paper. I agree that if you are going to be in line you as a body should be in line. I don't think it is ok if 1 person gets in line and just before 4 or so another 10 people get in line. My wife and I along with 2 of my brothers and one of my brothers gf all got in line at the same time, and we all stayed there all night. There was no just one of us in line, saving the spots. I told them that if they wanted to be in line they would be in line. Anyways, we all got the stuff we were looking for, as well as getting sick. This year I am looking at the TomTom, but not sure if I want to sit out all night.

Also the best buy we went to was at a mall, it has an outside entrance. The line was so long that the next store down was Target and the line was in front of their entrance. This is like a good 200 -300 feet down. The Target folks when they arrived told everybody that they could not stand in front of their store. The line ended up getting wrapped around so that the back of the line was right in front of Bestbuy. After the doors opened the first 20 people got in the door, when everyone that was standing in front of the doors, including the people that were in the back of the line just rushed the door. Luckily they had handed out the tickets for those items. It was crazy though. I may go just to be first in line again, that was fun. This year the wife will not be able to go with me as she is pregnant and can not be out side all night, I also told her that I didn't want her to get trampled. People just get crazy with this BF stuff.