>>> Official Black Friday Camcorders Discussion Thread <<<

hairprincessnyu

Ok.......Im looking for a new camcorder, but cant decide what I want. I dont like the dvd ones because as far as I know they can only record like 30 minutes at a time, and that seems like such a short time. However, Im not sure about the hard drive ones either. Hubby says the hard drive one, but I really didnt want to spend $400-$500 on a camcorder.

So I would like to hear the pros and cons of each and if anyone knows of any GREAT deals on either one.

when we were looking at camcorders for fun (i have no idea why, we don't have kids) we actually preferred the HD ones between the two of us. something about not having to go out and buy extra media, and then stop recording halfway and then changing the tapes or the DVD, etc.

plus if we were to ever (like we ever have at this point hehe) put things to DVD, i'd like to pretend that i can edit the video, clean up the transitions, and so on, and then put it to DVD for distribution and archival. this is just my personal preference towards the HD ones, i have no experience otherwise to how long they can record for, how much space they have, etc.

i think the HD ones will be expensive for a while - they're the newest thing out there, aren't they?

OK, did some reading here and online. I just started looking for a camcorder. Never had one before. I at least finally understand the diff between dvd/dv. With that being said..there really is no diff recording on dvd or tape? Because they are both digital? From what I read, the

DV is the most popular right now.

Anyway, before I babble on..what about this one for just general recording every so often?

http://shop4.outpost.com/%7BnV+U1dSvxmyFpb9R1RCY8w**.node3%7D/product/5371168

Product Features

* 30x optical/800x digital zoom

* 2.4" V-Slide widescreen vertical sliding LCD color monitor

* 680K total pixels, 340K effective with stabilizer

* 3D noise reduction provides a brighter picture with less noise, even in low light

* NightAlive for full-color shooting in low-light conditions

* Black-and-white, sepia, classic film, strobe, sports, spotlight and snow effects, or use faders and wipes to customize everything you shoot

* 16:9 widescreen mode lets you record in widescreen

* Stores video on MiniDV tapes

* PCM stereo sound and a built-in speaker allow you to listen to your recordings

* IEEE 1394 interface for high-speed video transfer; connects directly to your IEEE 1394-compatible DVD recorder for easy sharing and archiving

* Stick control ensures easy operation; 4-language on-screen display (English, French, Portuguese, Spanish)

* Slim and powerful long-life data battery lets you relax while you're shooting and not worry about running out of power

* Data button conveniently displays remaining battery power; auto button allows easier switching to and from auto mode