>>> Official Black Friday DIGITAL PHOTO FRAME Discussion Thread <<<

Marcster

Will you be buying a digital photo frame this year? (for yourself or others)  

530 members have voted

1. 1. Will you be buying a digital photo frame this year? (for yourself or others)

• I already have enough of them, so *NO*.
    • I have *NO* plans on buying one.
    • I plan to only buy one for MYSELF.
    • I plan to only buy one (or more) for OTHERS.
    • I plan to buy one for MYSELF and for OTHERS as a gift.
    • I don't like pictures.

To tell you the truth, I thought the same thing at first, until someone pointed out that the original price for this product is $130. The highest price for a Nextar 7" everywhere I have searched is $93, and that one had a mp3 player in it. The deal is $69.99 plus a $10 rebate. 1 Nextar frame for 59 is not that great of a deal since Sears has it for $49.99 with NO rebate.

I've asked someone that works there for clarification, so we'll see :)

Mods--- Is it possible that we could get a sticky for The Official Black Friday Digital Photo Frame Discussion??

You mean to sticky this one? I certainly can, but do you think it's necessary? There aren't that many comments in here, not like the laptop thread for instance.

I had made up my mind to go ahead and put it off for one more year to see if the price would go down any...then I saw the Kohl's ad.....they have a two pack (or at least that is what it says) for 59.00.....now I can have one and give one away....Guess I won't be waiting after all.:P

I had made up my mind to go ahead and put it off for one more year to see if the price would go down any...then I saw the Kohl's ad.....they have a two pack (or at least that is what it says) for 59.00.....now I can have one and give one away....Guess I won't be waiting after all.:P

I think that is one digital frame with two interchangeable frames. I believe it comes with a black frame and a silver frame, but only one display.

Anybody have any experience with either of the Radio Shack frames (Optimus 7" or the 11.3") on sale for BF? I'm going to try and stop by there today and see if they have them out. I'm curious as to the picture quality.

Optimus is Radio Shacks "in-house" brand. I'd put more faith in them than some brand I've never heard of...

Be sure to let us know what you think of them.

You mean to sticky this one? I certainly can, but do you think it's necessary? There aren't that many comments in here, not like the laptop thread for instance.

Er, maybe I didn't mean sticky. Perhaps this thread could just be renamed so that everyone knows to post their BF digital frame questions here. There are a couple different threads now, and it would be nice to see all the information in one place and this thread seems to be the most active one. :)

Er, maybe I didn't mean sticky. Perhaps this thread could just be renamed so that everyone knows to post their BF digital frame questions here. There are a couple different threads now, and it would be nice to see all the information in one place and this thread seems to be the most active one. :)

Oh, gotcha... I'll do that right now. http://s23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/Marcster2005/Smileypad/Bananas/borange2.gif

Does anyone have one of the digital key chain frames? My dd wants one but I don't know a whole lot about them. I think it is neat but if anyone has any info on them please let me know.

I don't have one - so take this with a grain of salt - but I've heard that the batteries die pretty quickly on those. I guess if it's cheap enough, it doesn't matter.

Does anyone have one of the digital key chain frames? My dd wants one but I don't know a whole lot about them. I think it is neat but if anyone has any info on them please let me know.

Well Meijer online has them but not at 5 dollars.

Bestbuy recently had their 7" westinghouse for 79.99. Not a bad deal.

I have a Westinghouse (model DPF-0701) that I received last year from my daughter. I use it at my office rather than cluttering up my desk with photo frames.

I've paired it with a 1GB jump drive that I continually add pictures to. Absolutely LOVE it!!

http://www.amazon.com/WESTINGHOUSE-DPF-0701-Widescreen-Digital-Mosaic/dp/B000HD0IWK

BTW, I consider the picture quality adequate (and I'm picky). I would argue that the reviwers that said otherwise didn't have a very good picture to begin with.

It has to be one with a digital card reader -- not all of the digital photo frames have that feature, but most newer models will.

Wow, you drive a hard bargain -- they're basically small LCD monitors -- they probably won't hit $30 till next year. The best deal I've found is the 7" at PepBoys for $39.98 after rebate. If you are one of the first 50 people in line at 5 am, you'll get a $10 gift card -- that would make it $29.98 AR. So there you go. ;)

Meijer did $29 yesterday and again on BF, but I don't know about the reviews.

I went to Radio shack to check out their frames. They had just gotten them in, so I wasn't able to see the picture quality, but I was able to get some details on the 11.3" frame. It is SmartParts, 800x480 resolution, takes SD, xD, MMC, Compact Flash, and USB, has a remote, and the frame itself didn't feel too cheap or plasticy (it is plastic, though).

I went and looked at the 7" at Sears and found one thing that I really didn't like. all the connections for usb and memory card is on the bottom of the frame. This doesn't matter with the card, but there is no way that you could stick a flash drive memory stick in the slot. You probably have 1/2" of room betwen the plug and the table that the frame would be sitting on. Memory sticks are at least 2", so I don't think it will work very well for that. I looked at Kodak and Westinghouse at BB, and they have the connections on the side. This to me works perfectly, but they are more $$$.

I got the pandigital 7" frame at Kohls last BF. I think it was $80 and they gave you 10% off if you used the Kohls card and $10/50 spent, so it ended up being ~$60. I got three and gave two as gifts. I had compared the frames for features and image quality and found this superior -- the Optimus frame was not as nice and the image did not look as good to me.

I liked this frame so much that I bought another for $49.99 at Staples last month. We have it loaded with still images running a slide show. It sits on a piano in the dining room and I cannot pass through the room without stopping for a few seconds. Hundreds of pictures of our kids growing up.

I'm going to put a compilation of our home movies on the other. No sound, just the clips.

I'm stopping into RS this week to check out the 11.3" frame. If it looks good, I'm in.

It's important to use high res images for best results. Digital images from a few years back are not good enough to play on these frames. Images from our 7m camera or scanned from stills look great.

My frames run on AC as well as batteries. We use AC. They take lots of media types. We use 1g sd cards.

These cards are not for everyone. I see people who think they are a TV -- turn them off except to watch. You really want to run them 7x24 (it costs pennies a year to run these).

Good luck!

I asked a Kohl's associate on the store specific thread. She says that the ad says "2 frames" meaning 2 different frames. But she also said that once in the past they did this but meant 2 different face plates for the frame, so they had to put up a sign in the store clarifying. Still a mystery.