Disturbing Trend This Year...

Brad

the only reason i can think of about them wanting to take there ads off is they are ashamed of their ads. they really suck this year. I really think their attitudes about things is stupid. Its a good day for the stores to make alot of money, and they act like that. I bet their sells will be down this year.

what the stores don't seem to get is that if they treat US well we treat them well. If I get a good deal on something at say Target I will go back to target and look again. If I can't get the best deal at Target I wont GO to Target. Its the same for any store out there. If i can do all my shoping in one store with no fuss then I will be going BACK to that store all year round. I may not be rich but I do spend money.. What a shame if I take my money elsewhere

the only reason i can think of about them wanting to take there ads off is they are ashamed of their ads. they really suck this year. I really think their attitudes about things is stupid. Its a good day for the stores to make alot of money, and they act like that. I bet their sells will be down this year.

maybe the are reading our comments and KNOW we are unhappy with the deals. We tell everyone we know we are unhappy about those deal and soon everybody knows ahead of time the deals stink so nobody goes out BF.. hmmm.. maybe its time to shop on line with Buy.com I am sure they would LOVE our money

Guest Macrossmaster

They are worried - cause the deals suck. If people figure out they suck ahead of time, not so much traffic. So far few serious players thus far.

Look at the public reaction thus far to Sears – not usually a powerhouse on BF, and apparently getting a few converts. if you got the goods, no need to sweat apparently. Sad state of affairs if I swing by Sears BF and am home in bed by 7.

After reading this article, I don't understand why they're not making more of an effort to keep the consumers happy and to pull us in with great sales?

Why disenfranchise whole groups of shoppers because they're looking for a good deal?

This site, and others like it, probably has the most dedicated black friday shoppers - the ones who look forward to it all year long, who plan and save for it all year long. And we make a gameplan not only to maximize our savings, but also to make it to all of the stores we need to get to.

We're not the unorganized shoppers who just show up, or worse the shoppers who avoid BF like the plague. We visit multiple stores, we bring others with us, and we spend our money.

Why on earth would they want to lose that money with the market being so sluggish?

Here's the link to the article I referenced:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20071108/ap_on_bi_ge/retail_sales;_ylt=Ao.lWOe_1N8QAiUiqoJ.JD.s0NUE

honestly, and I am almost ashamed to say this because of my 'BF Queen' status, but in the past couple of years, I have purchased enough in the online deals section, that I have no need to go out on BF. 2 years ago, I spent several thousand, last year I spent around 1K. This year, I may go for the tradition of going, and that's about it.

Last year, it seemed that there were many more online deals, but as I've looked through my receipts, I think the best is yet to come.

It has come to the point that the major retailers are running themselves into the ground. I can understand both sides of the argument, but I think it is a pretty pointless one. With BF being 2 weeks away, no direct competition can exist, simply due to time constraints. No store will have the capabilities of even reprinting ads, much less duplicating the products.

Also, I am not sure why Walmart is so upset, mainly because it doesn't matter whose prices are the lowest, they will still honor either since they are one of the few stores that PM, hence giving them the sale.

I am seriously thinking of giving the kids Target GC's and taking them to the good clearance store the next week and letting them go hog wild at 75% off.

Official Statement Regarding Wal-Mart's Black Friday Ad

On October 17, 2007 we received this letter from legal representatives of Wal-Mart Stores, Inc. After communications with Wal-Mart company representatives, affiliate representatives and legal representatives, the decision has been made that the Wal-Mart Black Friday ad will be posted here on Black Friday @ GottaDeal.com no later than 12:00am ET on Monday, November 19th. While we are disappointed in Wal-Mart's decision, we would also like to commend those other retailers who have embraced this site and have chosen not to follow them on this unfortunate path.

The letter you received is actually NOT a "Cease and Desist". They hinted at that to scare you.

ugh, people have gone completly nuts. I was actually looking forward to bf, but after seeing the ads, well i am sorely disappointed and it doesn't matter when I see the ad, now, or tday if they suck, they suck and I will just not go there. So far I can get better deals out there at this point and time then their so called deals. It just means that I think I will cheat and just buy gc at whatever location isn't a bunch of whiny crybabies, maybe like Ace (lol)!

The letter you received is actually NOT a "Cease and Desist". They hinted at that to scare you.

I never said the WM letter was a C&D. We did receive an actual C&D from OfficeMax today, and other sites have received them from Macy's and LNT.

I think that everyone making the point about all the "buzz" and planning ahead about the ads when they are leaked early is the point that the stores may be trying to make. There are relatively few people who are die hard BF shoppers who go through the ads as we do and plan out our trips so carefully. But our numbers grow every year-and the stores get nastier every year. With all of the time ahead to compare stores one-on-one we really are not the shoppers they want to attract if you think about it. They want the frenzied shoppers who do not price compare, price match or shop carefully in their stores. And by having their ads in circulation early it's not all about the other stores seeing what they've got on sale but maybe it's about the shoppers seeing what's going to be available and having a game plan. Just a thought- but I don't agree with them and I think they are silly about the whole thing.

The retailers seem to be under the impression that on Thanksgiving day, potential BF shoppers can sit down and leisurely scan each and every flyer, as if we had nothing else to do that day! :eyepoppin What planet are they on and are there any vacancies! Between preparing for the meal, getting the kids and the house ready, and/or traveling to another destination, not to mention being able to FIND the ads if hubby or kids get to paper first! If it wasn't for sites like this, I'd really have no clue what is going on sale and would most likely MISS half of the things that I might buy.

To go along with what some of you have said, I think part of it is that some retailers just like to have customers that are clueless. They want their customers to know virtually nothing about the products in the ads, to not read reviews ahead of time or compare different models, and to just take the store's word that the items in the ad are amazing deals. They don't want you to do your homework or to see if you can get a better price online somewhere else. They want to put the ad in front of you hours, instead of days, before you need to be in line.

I think, like Princess, a lot of this has to do with the retailers not wanting people to have time to compare prices, and figure out where/what to price match, etc etc. I also think part of it has to do with the seemingly crappy ads this year, the retailers don't want us knowing ahead of time that they aren't having mega sales this year. If we only have Thanksgiving Day to plan out BF, we'll be more likely to show up and shop anyway.

To go along with what some of you have said, I think part of it is that some retailers just like to have customers that are clueless. They want their customers to know virtually nothing about the products in the ads, to not read reviews ahead of time or compare different models, and to just take the store's word that the items in the ad are amazing deals. They don't want you to do your homework or to see if you can get a better price online somewhere else. They want to put the ad in front of you hours, instead of days, before you need to be in line.

I completely agree with your line of thinking. Note that many of the stores that aren't complaining (and haven't in years past) are stores that are fairly specialized in what they sell: Ace Hardware, Pep Boys, Harbor Freight, FYE, EB Games, Bass Pro Shop, Black & Decker Outlet Store, Tractor Supply Company, etc.

It might take some work, but I say lets pick apart these ads and post a list of which products can be purchased online within a few $s of the BF price, and who sells its. Then we would not have to post the ads, nor support the store on BF. Maybe then they would get the hint.

It would really show the stores, if 11am came, and the "doorbusters" were still sitting there waiting to be bought, and the online stores were all sold out.

Just because we have the ads does not mean we have to post them. We could just post the products, prices, and where online to buy them. Then what could they do? Instead of free advertising for themselves, they would get free advertising for their competitors.

It might take some work, but I say lets pick apart these ads and post a list of which products can be purchased online within a few $s of the BF price, and who sells its. Then we would not have to post the ads, nor support the store on BF. Maybe then they would get the hint.

It would really show the stores, if 11am came, and the "doorbusters" were still sitting there waiting to be bought, and the online stores were all sold out.

Just because we have the ads does not mean we have to post them. We could just post the products, prices, and where online to buy them. Then what could they do? Instead of free advertising for themselves, they would get free advertising for their competitors.

We are going to be doing something similar to that in the coming days. On the main BF site, you'll start to see little green dollar bill icons (http://blackfriday.gottadeal.com/images/cheaper.png) next to certain items. Those items will be available for ordering online (from a different, but GD-approved and trusted web site) for the BF price or less. As you said, keeping something like that updated is a lot of work, so I'm trying to catch up with all the other ads and deal with everything else before we start rolling out this feature.

We are going to be doing something similar to that in the coming days. On the main BF site, you'll start to see little green dollar bill icons (http://blackfriday.gottadeal.com/images/cheaper.png) next to certain items. Those items will be available for ordering online (from a different, but GD-approved and trusted web site) for the BF price or less. As you said, keeping something like that updated is a lot of work, so I'm trying to catch up with all the other ads and deal with everything else before we start rolling out this feature.

Will you be doing a different icon for deals that are listed for the sites that are nice to us and have their item(s) available online?

Will you be doing a different icon for deals that are listed for the sites that are nice to us and have their item(s) available online?

Right now for several stores you'll see little blue shopping cart icons on the far right side. Those items (at least as of the last time we checked) were available for ordering from the store's site at the BF price.

blue shopping carts = order from the same store at BF price (or less)

green dollar bills = order from another site at BF price (or less)

Right now for several stores you'll see little blue shopping cart icons on the far right side. Those items (at least as of the last time we checked) were available for ordering from the store's site at the BF price.

blue shopping carts = order from the same store at BF price (or less)

green dollar bills = order from another site at BF price (or less)

That's why you're the king! http://s23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/Marcster2005/Smileypad/Rude/bow28.gif

I agree with the thouhgt that retailers don't like it b/c it gives people in general a few days (in some cases maybe a couple weeks depending on when ads are leaked) to compare in far greater detail than they could by getting them the day of Thanksgiving. They also count on the impulse of a buyer to buy something at the drop of a hat this time of year.

I mean, every year (except 04 wehn i was in NY for the MAcys Parade) my dad I always go to Target, HHGregg and Ace. We added Home depot to that last year. And I might add Sears this year for a couple things they have. We won't touch BB, CC or WM b/c the lines are HORRIBLE (especially living just north ot Atlanta). I will look at those and might like soemthing but won't bite if one f the others has soemthing that is simialr.

So I can understand why retailers get upset when people will have time to actually compare products or look at a certain brand's reliability. But, they should also realize that 90% of the people that get out super early on BF are not the type who think to compare and do a few hours of research.

I mentioned this trend to my dh who doesn't do BF however is amazed at the deals I get. Anyhow he couldn't understand why these companies would do this. I explained that usually they demand the ads be pulled but not this early. I told him it actually hurts those stores that don't allow the ads to be leaked as I have gotten ideas this year from the ads that I wouldn't have thought of. This means differant stops for me and differant priority items.

I'm not real sure if understand the rationale here by these stores.

The economy is in shambles, gas is expensive, the housing market has slowed to a crawl....and it seems like every ad has either been disappointing or is giving sites like this (basically a FREE source of advertising) grief.

You'd think that these places would want all the help they could get this season; you'd think places would want to get folks excited by their deals; you'd think there would be some sort of symbiotic relationship betweem stores and sites like this.

I agree. In the past couple of days people have been tossing around the "R" word- not for the end of this year but the first 2 quarters of next year. They base this on the price of oil going up, the value of the dollar going down, and the housing market. A LOT of people aren't planning on spending as much this year simply because they can't afford it. It won't surprise me if the news and figures after BF show a decrease in sales. If not BF it definately will show that for the overall holiday shopping figures- unless gas prices drop. Then that will get people spending again.

Personally I will probably spend less than last year however still will average around $150 per side of the family and $200-$250 per kid and around $150 for my husband and myself on the holidays. Where I will spend less is the impulse buys that I usually make on BF. Which ultimately means I will probably spend less on BF. I have decided Black Friday is a CASH ONLY event for me. The cash I have is the cash I spend and will plan the amount based on the items that I have on my list when I go to the bank November 20.

I haven't seen anything that's going to get me out of bed early this year. Maybe their thought is, the ad is crap but people who don't see it early won't have time to realize it.

:mad:

What happened to the Macy's and Gimball's approach to the Christmas spirit of things like in Miracle on 34th Street. Maybe if they were a little nicer to their customers concerns they just might make a buck and draw more people in to their stores but as of now they are turning people off.