Target Terminates GottaDeal's Affiliate Account

Brad

While they have not threatened legal action (yet), Target today without warning cancelled GottaDeal's affiliate account. This, despite the fact that we have been an affiliate of Target since the site started almost 4 years ago and have posted their BF ad every year with no previous issues.

This, also despite the fact that Target attempted to buy ad space from us directly this year on the Black Friday site. So they had no problems with what we did and wanted to use the traffic we receive to promote their business, but when we posted their ad, they got upset. Boo hoo.

While this will have an adverse affect on the business-side of things, the ad will still remain posted until we are legally forced to do otherwise.

And if you'd like to express your thoughts to Target about this action, you can contact Jillian Putnam, their Marketing Analyst for the Affiliate Program at [email protected]

Are you sure it's because of the ad you posted? Anyway, sorry to hear of this. I suspect you and all of the GD'ers will get nowhere, though, with a Target Marketing Analyst.

I'm also not feeling good about the future -- there's an increasing trend of pressure by the major retailers regarding their BF ads. Good luck, Brad.

Are you sure it's because of the ad you posted? Anyway, sorry to hear of this. I suspect you and all of the GD'ers will get nowhere, though, with a Target Marketing Analyst.

I'm also not feeling good about the future -- there's an increasing trend of pressure by the major retailers regarding their BF ads. Good luck, Brad.

Yep. They responded to my e-mail with a link to the CNN story and quoted some extremely vague clause from the affiliate terms which didn't specifically mention BF or anything about ads.

Guest Macrossmaster
Wow. Cutting off your nose to spite your face? Or perhaps yet another case of stores despising educated consumers...

Yep. They responded to my e-mail with a link to the CNN story and quoted some extremely vague clause from the affiliate terms which didn't specifically mention BF or anything about ads.

Didn't you state earlier today that you contacted CNN about the story? Maybe that's it? I'm sorry that happened to you, but I'm going to guess the ad isn't the problem. Sorry.

Didn't you state earlier today that you contacted CNN about the story? Maybe that's it? I'm sorry that happened to you, but I'm going to guess the ad isn't the problem. Sorry.

No, posting the ad was the only issue. The CNN story just let them know the ad was out. I would post the e-mail I received from them, but for legal reasons I'm not going to...

I will email her now - as i have stated in previous threads, the main reason i am going to Target and BB this year is b/c of Walmarts hissy over their ad being posted. I am actually driving 40 minutes extra to go there this year and was very excited to see their ads and deals. Their being posted on GD will generate a lot of business for them, not hurt them - i tell everyone i work with about the deals i find on GD otherwise some of those folks wouldn't pay any attention to the sales at all.

How come they didn't seem to attack other BF ad websites? This bothers me. You'd think with the economy as it is any extra early publicity would HELP a store. I'm very upset at Target now. Do we have their customer service email?

They may have for all we know. They didn't demand the ad be taken down, so there is no real way of knowing who else they terminated.

I wouldn't bother with a general customer service e-mail. The e-mail address I posted in the OP is from their main affiliate rep who I have been dealing with.

I'm so sorry to hear that they terminated your affiliate account Brad!

I am not very happy with Target now! I spent over $300.00 un budgeted money there last year on BF with my mom! It was one of the only places we did lots of extra shopping. My mom even bought herself lots of clothes that she was not even looking for!

This year I'll only buy loss leaders from them then!!

Sorry Brad that they are giving Gottadeal a hard time about their ad.

I will email Target also. I hadn't planned on going to Target for BF until I saw the ad. But after seeing the scan I plan on making it my very first stop.

What really is wrong is that they wanted to buy ad space and then get mad when their scan is posted. Go figure that one.

Again sorry.

Brad I am sorry they are doing this to you. I HAD planned to make target one of my stops. Now I will not. I will also be emailing the lady in your note. Sad state of affiars when I end up at an autoparts store for my shopping. I am telling you Buy.Com is looking mighty good now

It's also even more hypocritical that sites like Fatwallet and Slickdeals have had the ad posted for the same amount of time we have, and yet their affiliate status has not changed - all their affiliate links are working still.

Looks like Target is playing favorites. Somehow what we did was wrong but other larger sites can get away with it because they bring more business to Target.

E-mail [email protected] and ask her why we were terminated but the others weren't.

If it'll make a difference, I'm sending an email too. I always shop at Target but hardly ever on Black Friday. This year, I was planning on making it my first and only stop. Until they reinstate your affiliation looks like I'll be hitting another store or like another poster said-- buy.com. What a shame.

While they have not threatened legal action (yet), Target today without warning cancelled GottaDeal's affiliate account. This, despite the fact that we have been an affiliate of Target since the site started almost 4 years ago and have posted their BF ad every year with no previous issues.

This, also despite the fact that Target attempted to buy ad space from us directly this year on the Black Friday site. So they had no problems with what we did and wanted to use the traffic we receive to promote their business, but when we posted their ad, they got upset. Boo hoo.

While this will have an adverse affect on the business-side of things, the ad will still remain posted until we are legally forced to do otherwise.

And if you'd like to express your thoughts to Target about this action, you can contact Jillian Putnam, their Marketing Analyst for the Affiliate Program at [email protected]

What are the benefits bussines-side you had with them being an affiliate?

I just don't get it..In a case like this,I never visit Targets website,it's 45 minutes out of my way as it is but I go to Walmarts website on a regular basis..

Now with that said..I have clicked through to Targets website probably 7 to 8 times in the past couple of weeks due to the people here at GD..and the deals and links that were posted.I even took the time to check out the ad for Target which I have not done in 2 years...(didn't know they got rid of their doorbusters..)

Just seems like a bad mistake or maybe it just doesn't make that much of a difference to them..which is even worse in my eyes..