>>> Official Black Friday GPS Navigation Unit Discussion Thread <<< (updated 11/29)

Marcster

I bought the Mio C320 and Navigon 2100 at RadioShack today. They told me I could come back on BF and get a price adjustment for the BF price. That way I dont have to stand in line, and gives me time to play with them to see if they're for me. I agree with gpslodge's review, got some wacky routes and the keyboard is delayed. Also noticed that when it said, 'turn right now" it was not just before the street. If I didnt know the street, it would have been too late to turn. I'll have to try them out more tomorrow.

you could have PM the Navigon, it is in Office Depot's ad for 149 with the upgraded to the free traffic.

Yeah, I forgot about Office Depot...I didnt have the ad with me. But with all these

GPS and ads and prices :gd_stars: on top of narrowing it down to the ones I want!

I'm happy I'll get my price adj. on BF and not wait in line.:D

Some clarification regarding some previous posts:

The Navigon 2100T was not recalled from Staples. We will have a huge quantity of both the Navigon 2100T ($99.99) and the Tom Tom One 3rd Edition ($124.99 plus $20 SPLS Gift Card) available on BF. I've heard Radio Shack had some recalls but Staples wasn't affected because a specially packaged unit was created for us.

The Traffic was already built in, so the only thing needed is for customers to call an 800 number and have their unit activated for the Free lifetime service.

Bass Pro Shops will have the Garmin nuvi 350 for the same exact price as Circuit City ($299.99). If you think that's the unit you want and have a Bass Pro Shop in your area (http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CFPage?appID=94&storeId=10151&catalogId=10001&langId=-1&CMID=MH_IN_EVENTS), then the line will be MUCH SHORTER at Bass Pro.

Does anyone know of a navigator that can be used for fishing that is on sale for black friday?

None that I found. Bass Pro Shops didn't have one. The only one that might would be Dick's Sporting Good.

EDIT: The Lowrance iWay 250C being offered at Circuit City today only (11/19) has optional marine lake maps (at an additional cost):

http://forums.gottadeal.com/showthread.php?t=89837

Review:

http://gpstracklog.typepad.com/gps_tracklog/2006/10/lowrance_iway_2.html

I think the Post-BF prices for GPS will resemble the BF prices. If I don't get out BF, I think I will be able to do well on Monday or as Christmas gets closer. There isn't much to a GPS. They have been priced to their value (it's worth $1000 for some people to never be lost). Now they are a commodity and going forward their price will be tied to a reasonable profit. Good for us.

I saw on another board that Costco has the Garmin Nuvi 650 for $299 right now. I was considering the 660, but I don't need the bluetooth and FM capabilities, which seem to be the only differences between the two.

I'd have to renew my lapsed Costco membership, but I'm tempted to just order this and sleep in Black Friday.

What do you think?

Sheila

I am on information overload!! I agree that this unit sounds like a good deal, but I keep second guessing myself. If I could spend up to $350/$400 would I be foolish to? Need the best unit possible for the money of course as my dd really needs the best system for her job since she works for Child Protective Services and needs to find addresses accurately and quickly. Of course she would like to have the bluetooth and FM capabilities but are they really worth it? It is like I am almost afraid to spend too little money which goes against everything Gottadeal stands for.

Staples has the Tom Tom 3rd generation for 149 this week. I didnt feel like standing in line for BF, so I chose to buy it(The bf deals are really bad this year).

I just bought mine today for that price too! The price on the shelf says $249 but if you scan it, it comes up $149. I need to concentrate on an LCD tv if I go out this year so I went ahead and bought mine today. Good deal considering I don't have to wait in the snowy cold to get it, plus I can worry about the TV elsewhere now.

I am on information overload!! I agree that this unit sounds like a good deal, but I keep second guessing myself. If I could spend up to $350/$400 would I be foolish to? Need the best unit possible for the money of course as my dd really needs the best system for her job since she works for Child Protective Services and needs to find addresses accurately and quickly. Of course she would like to have the bluetooth and FM capabilities but are they really worth it? It is like I am almost afraid to spend too little money which goes against everything Gottadeal stands for.

If you think you are on information overload, imagine how I felt writing the first 3 posts of this thread... http://s23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/Marcster2005/Smileypad/Surprise/kot10.gif

Bluetooth would be useful if your daughter doesn't already have a Bluetooth headset for her phone. But that will only work if she is using the unit, she can only use that function when she is near the unit, not all the time (like she could with a regular Bluetooth headset).

And the FM capability is probably only necessary if your daughter needs to hear whatever MP3s she has stored on the unit over the car's radio, otherwise, most people just have the GPS' "voice" talking and the car's radio playing at the same time.

Just wanted to make sure I was understanding what a couple posters above said about the Navigon 2100.

If you buy it today at Radio Shack, then take it back sometime on BF they will refund you the difference in their ad - THEN you point out the Staples ad for $99 and they should price match and refund you even more, correct? :confused: I plan on going to a R/S store tomorrow during lunch and asking these questions so I'll let you all know what I find but it would help if I had some backup from others who have asked these same questions. I went to a R/S today and that store claimed they didn't price match, from the other posts it sounds like R/S does price match so I am going elsewhere tomorrow. Thanks in advance for any help!

:)

I would strongly caution anybody planning to price-match or price-adjust to talk to the manager of their local store beforehand. In general price-matching policies vary widely and even if there is a corporate policy it may be difficult to get a specific manager to honor it. Also, the Navigon at Staples is a 2100T and the Radioshack one is 2100. While this may mean absolutely nothing except different packaging, it's enough for a store to legitimately deny a pricematch.

Set me straight if I don't have these facts correct...

What I was looking for that the LE has:

Turn by Turn Voice Prompts

US and Canada Maps

Free Map Upgrades for life

Some Cons (not so negative though on some):

3.5" Screen

2 hour battery life

No AC charger included

No text-to-speech

At $119 how can I go wrong with this? I read some things about the satellite system and some issues there, but a buddy has the 3rd edition and he said it works great.

Respond or PM me if I am missing something about this basic unit.

Thanks,

Tim

I would strongly caution anybody planning to price-match or price-adjust to talk to the manager of their local store beforehand. In general price-matching policies vary widely and even if there is a corporate policy it may be difficult to get a specific manager to honor it. Also, the Navigon at Staples is a 2100T and the Radioshack one is 2100. While this may mean absolutely nothing except different packaging, it's enough for a store to legitimately deny a pricematch.

Sage advice, emdiva. I was at my local Radio Shack and Staples stores tonight and learned that 1) RS has two 2100's in the store. These do not have the traffic bonus. They will not have any in for BF due to a problem with the packaging. 2) Staples is being coy about everything BF and talking down the 2100. In fact, all Navigon units in the display case were unpowered -- manager said they were defective. He said that GPS would be distributed first come, first server via voucher. He was such a thorn that I am going to buy a Navigon and a TomTom and return one later.

Just called my RadioShack...cuz I bought the Navi 2100 yesterday! He said the Nav 2100's were recalled if they were packaged in bubble wrap, causing damage to the screen....mine was not in bubble wrap. Asked him if he was still offering this unit on BF and he said yes, they've already been replaced. When I bought mine on Sun. they said I could get a price adj. on BF. But would not price match Staples as well. But before I bought it they said anyone who brings in the ad to purchase it, they'll price match.

When I looked at the Nav 2100 at Staples. they tried to convince me to 'stay away from it'

But today I took both the Nav 2100 and the Mio c320 on the road. Had to drive FAR to get an HD hookup from cable co. Both told me to turn left at the intersection and my destination was 650 ft away. So after I turn out of the busy intersection, I'm thinking which side of the street is it on! Panic as cars are behind me wanting to speed up and I'm slowing wondering which lane I should be in, the Nav 2100 saves me and says 'your destination is on the left'. :gdclap: The data entry may not be as nice as the Mio, but the navigation while on the road, as your concentrating on important things like driving! proved to me what matters.

Quote:My Office Depot had the Navigon for $149 but they didn't know anything about how to redeem the free mail in offer for the "lifetime real time traffic subscription". Does anyone know if it should have been a rebate or is it maybe enclosed in the box? The store manager is supposed to research the answer and get back with me tomorrow...

luckyscaper, same with me, after purchasing the unit, when i enquired abt traffic subsciption, the sales guy said 'something might be inside box' but nothing is there. need to check out with store again tomorrow on how to get it.

UPDATE: The manager at Office Depot called back today and there is now a mail in rebate form available for the "real time traffic subscription." All's well that ends well...

qUOTE : UPDATE: The manager at Office Depot called back today and there is now a mail in rebate form available for the "real time traffic subscription." All's well that ends well...

thanks for the update luckyscaper, will go and check in my local store tomorrow :)

http://s23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/Marcster2005/Smileypad/Bananas/ban91.gifFor those of you who are saying that "this unit" or "that unit" don't have an AC Adapter:

This adapter takes the automotive DC end and turns it into a standard A/C plug that you can insert into any standard wall outlet:

http://cdn.overstock.com/images/products/P10398367.jpg

$4.99 at Overstock:

http://www.overstock.com/Electronics/AC-to-DC-Car-Charger-Socket-Adapter/2117787/product.html?IID=prod2117787

There are many more styles available, from retailers all over. Just google for "automotive dc to ac adapter".

Great find Marc!....but I noticed that the Navigon 2100 had the same shaped port

for charging as my Razr cell phone, so I plugged its ac adapter to it and it charged!

This was confirmed on Terry White's comments section below. :D

I bought this unit a few days ago..I was also blown away at the price/feature ratio. Great unit. Anyway a solution I found for charging it at home is using a USB adapter. I just swiped the cord from a digital camera I had lying around. Make sure the unit is turned off, plug the cord into the computer/laptop, then plug the cord into the navigon. It charged just fine and I was able to walk around town testing out the ‘pedestrian’ option.